• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Items that have faded away

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes I remember the game, another that came to mind was the one that you made up a box which looked like an aquarium with little cardboard fish inside with a small piece of metal on their nose and you had a a little fishing rod and line with a magnet on the end which you dangled inside the "Aquarium" and caught the fish. I wonder what the children of today would think of those games!
Regards Reg

If you picked dandelions you would wet the bed. Maybe that's why the French call them pisenlit pronounced Pees on lee, lit means bed.
If you played with eggshells I was told it gave you worts. Crusts make your eair curl. I forget what would put hairs on my chest though. If I pulled a face I was told I would stick like that. And why do you have to hold a buttercup under your chin I forgot that too?

I had the fishing game too. The grownups liked it too. I had a soft ball on an elastic stick which you hit and it came back to you. Called I think a biff bat. I had a power ball, it landed on my nose. I loved pop up books, still do. And ones where you can changed the heads bodies and legs of people that slide and a cut out figure with cut out clothes. I like games that come in crackers like getting tiny ball bearings in to holes. Also mini pinball type machines.

I had a Biff-Bat too! Still got it, minus the ball and elastic. The grandkids played bat and ball with it. My brother had Jokari, can't spell it though, the ball was on a heavy base with elastic.
My cousin had a plastic basketwork cup thing with a sprung steel lever inside which flicked the ball out and you had to catch it, he also had a special plate with a rim so you could balance it on a stick and spin it. (On TV shows they used have dozens spinning all at once).
Nico, the buttercup under your chin was to see if you liked butter, It would shine yellow if you did!! I think those soldiers and knights were called "Swoppits"??
rosie.

I had a monkey dad got me at a fete, it was real fur. I shudder now, he had a red papier maché face and he bounced up and down on elastic. My Dublin mate had one too when he lived over there. He said they were called cheekey Charlies. But when we were wearing bell bottoms, he said they callef them elephant flares.

I Can recall one old item from the old dark ages does anybody else recall it or ever bough it
its a little boklet called ;OLD MOORES ALMANAC which predicted things of the times come ; i think it was a tanner in those early days and it went up in
Price of Half a crown i think in the early 1900s alot of people bught it but as tiome marched on through the decades i think late fifty it died ;
best wishes Astonian;

Last edited by a moderator:
I Can recall one old item from the old dark ages does anybody else recall it or ever bough it
its a little boklet called ;OLD MOORES ALDEMAC which predicted things of the times come ; i think it was a tanner in those early days and it went up in
Price of Half a crown i think in the early 1900s alot of people bught it but as tiome marched on through the decades i think late fifty it died ;
best wishes Astonian;
Yes we had that too Astonian. Mum got My Weekley, Woman's Weekly, there was always a childrens section amd The People's Friend. I remember a pop song was it Autumn Almanac? Nico

HI NICO ;
I Did not think anybody would have remembered it our mom used to read some things from it apparently to us when we wa little but i think she stopped buying it in the fiftys ;
I have just rememberd another old thing from the past ; and that it is your cuppa ;did you or anybod else buy and drink
Priory tea;or there coffee; we did but we only ever bought camp coffee from the bottle ; uh ;i would not touch it now nor drink it uh;
does any body recal there premises it was 1942; and they was down in PRIORY BUILDING IN LOWER PRIORY BIRMINGHAM;
And it came in packets of 1/2 1/4 @ 1/7 LB IN Packets only and they later moved to moland street in 1959 ;
we always had the orange tea label with the 6d penny stamp and a saving card for the next packet then w changed to the monkey tea ;
you know what i mean by that dont you ; [ i do not want to be seen adverizing now do I ]
Put your kettles on now boys and girl,s you deserve it ; i know i have earnt mine to night i cooked the dutchesss evening meal ;
i have slaved over that cookerand my old dutchess as not stoppedtalking about roses thread on lady wood ; cor; i need that cuppa ;
best wishes Astonian;

Camp Coffee, no longer allowed to be called coffee (trade discription law) originally had a Scottish soldier with a Sikh servant with tray now has the Sikh sitting down with the Scotsman (political correctness). It is still horrible, that hasn't changed.

My Aunt and Uncle never had any other. Primarily Chicory I think it was.

Sent from my HTC Desire X using Tapatalk 2

Interesting two adverts for Camp coffee David. The second label shows how things have moved on with the servant/batman enjoying a cuppa with the officer instead of waiting on him. I assume the second label is one they use today? Still love Camp coffee - in warm or iced milk. Viv.

Not only have all the Woolworth's gone, but so has Outdoor Girl make-up shown in this Woolworth's window display from the 1930s. Hadn't realised Outdoor Girl had been around for so long, thought it was a 1960s product. The name seems too modern for the 1930s. Bought quite a lot of OG including their false eyelashes and lots and lots of mascara! Viv.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1363256697.891785.jpg

Wind-Up wrist watches seem to have faded away at least mine have, they have been in a drawer for years. I have a battery quartz watch on my wrist right now but realise I probably only look at it once a day, maybe it's not worth wearing, but I feel lost without it !

My mother always used to have a very small bottle of Camp coffee in the cupboard when she fancied a coffee, the only one in the house who drank coffee then.
Growing up I didn't drink tea or coffee, and have never ever drunk tea, but I started drinking coffee in the mid sixties, and graduated to Camp which has chicory in it,
but it became increasingly difficult to find and when I gave up sugar I found it too sweet, a few weeks ago my son said hope you like this mom and gave me a bottle of Camp, he hadn't seen it for ages either, I told him it was now too sweet for my taste and so gave it to a friend to use when she makes a coffee cake.

Remember the sports jackets with the leather patches on the sleeves. I had a few of them, what was I thinking of.

Hi i didn't know you bought them with the patches on, i thought you had them put on to stop the elbows from wearing. how thick am i?
Remember the sports jackets with the leather patches on the sleeves. I had a few of them, what was I thinking of.

Browsing through the Christmas tree thread I thought of a toy Christmas present I had as a child and which has faded away from today's present list. It was a 'Bus Conductor's Set' ! It had a cap with a badge, a ticket punch which was on a strap over the shoulder and it went 'ding' when a ticket was punched. There was a ticket holder with clips holding tickets and a bag to collect the money. Lined up the chairs in the house to be like a bus and drove the family mad making them get on the 'bus' and buy tickets. Of course real bus conductors have faded away - how did we afford to have them ?

I had forgotten. I had a bus conductor set. Chairs on the floor. When you were asked what you wanted to be it was bus conductor, bus driver. Engine driver. I wanted to be a vet or a farmer. Can't stand blood though and am afraid of cows. When we were 12 it was footballesr. Not me though. Then stunt mean. I wonder what it is now? I had a typewriter and it had a sort of dial in the middle which you turned to the letter you wanted then hit one key which typed it. All the the other keys were false.Do they still have the sweet shops and post offices in miniature with thing you can weigh. Not the giant toys they have now so you need a giant house for the giant toys. I am also shocked at the price of dress up clothes. Our mums used to make them. Must be getting old.

A few years back I bought my grandchildren a post office set and they loved it. One summer we made all the Punch & Judy puppet characters on my old sewing machine and my husband made a theatre they could stand inside. We wrote a play and they performed it for their parents. What wonderful memories and it cost nothing. They are teenagers now and more interested in technology but it was great fun while it lasted. Anne

I wonder if your sister became a secretary Nij? I ended up in an office I still can't type well as you can see. My brain goes too fast for my fingers. I ended up having mum's old portable Olivetti with the ribbons. I used to offer to clean it for her so I could have a go. We used to do printing with potato halves at school and designed our own dies with them. Also made potato head people and animals with matchsticks. You could buy potato head sets with bakelite noses and ear to stick on. I am smelling the classroom now - that white opaque glue with the brush stuck in the lid, plasticine, papier maché, powder paints you added water too. We had to bring in an old shirt of our dad's incase we got paint all over us. I loved it when we made things to take home like at easter or mothering sunday for our mums. But I always on insisted on making 2 things if the teacher let me, one for Nan as well. I made her a calendar out of a dairy lee spread cheese box with a picture of puppies on it and she binned it. So I never made her anyting after that. Mum had a calendar made from a paper plate and she put it on the wall I was so pleased. And a dark plain christmas card with a christmas tree made out of a doiley. Happy days.

Jumping on and off the open rear platformsof urban bus's. Until this unedifying modern world of "politically correct", and (namby pamby) society, this is what they were always used for, and may I say designed for, the conductors were there mainly for stopping, passengers not paying fares, and for the non- molestation of female passengers. just as a matter of interest, if anyone remembers Aldershot from the early mid-sixty's, the island opposite the NAAFI Club, I jumped off a bus wearing ammo boots, and nearly free skated to Ash Vale.
paul

I have seen pushchairs roll off the bus from under the stairs. My Glasgow colleague used to sing Oh ye dinna push yer grannie off the bus. I remember the kids and drunks pushing and falling off the bus. Or when they went round the corner too fast, kids swinging round the pole. I always felt sick on the bus. I remember running and hanging on and hoping the driver slowed down.

we brought our son a red sit on bus for his first birthday in 1967 that he rode on all day long we still have it although a bit worse for wear
all the grandchilden have played on it and argued over it and now my great grandson plays on it in the summer it cost £2/ten shilling

I wonder if your sister became a secretary Nij? I ended up in an office I still can't type well as you can see. My brain goes too fast for my fingers. I ended up having mum's old portable Olivetti with the ribbons. I used to offer to clean it for her so I could have a go. We used to do printing with potato halves at school and designed our own dies with them. Also made potato head people and animals with matchsticks. You could buy potato head sets with bakelite noses and ear to stick on. I am smelling the classroom now - that white opaque glue with the brush stuck in the lid, plasticine, papier maché, powder paints you added water too. We had to bring in an old shirt of our dad's incase we got paint all over us. I loved it when we made things to take home like at easter or mothering sunday for our mums. But I always on insisted on making 2 things if the teacher let me, one for Nan as well. I made her a calendar out of a dairy lee spread cheese box with a picture of puppies on it and she binned it. So I never made her anyting after that. Mum had a calendar made from a paper plate and she put it on the wall I was so pleased. And a dark plain christmas card with a christmas tree made out of a doiley. Happy days.
Yes nico my sister went on to become asecretary and liaison officer. I remember making mother's day cards and xmas cards at primary school and also a calendar every year. Things were so simple back then. Regards nijinski

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back