• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

In the garden 2022

Status
Not open for further replies.
A lot of people I have spoken to say that the flowers are just falling off their runner beans. I am told this is due to the long dry spell but nothing to do with watering but the flowers need a mist spray of water on them.

Who pinched my cherries?. Walked up the garden this morning to find all my cherries gone ( there wasn`t many in the first place ) They were ( I thought ) securely netted, but i suspect a Blackbird has found it`s way thru the netting & enjoyed scoffing the lot but as my wife said, they`ve gone to a good cause.

Who pinched my cherries?. Walked up the garden this morning to find all my cherries gone ( there wasn`t many in the first place ) They were ( I thought ) securely netted, but i suspect a Blackbird has found it`s way thru the netting & enjoyed scoffing the lot but as my wife said, they`ve gone to a good cause.
We had the same two years ago but it was the squirrels. Last year built a frame work round the tree which saved them. Now this year we have not had one flower on it and the tree has sprouted way out of the netting. Come to the conclusion it's easier to buy them from the shop

Go on, rub it in :). Today is our 22nd day with no rain at all, and temperatures in the mid 30s, some days 40. We have some water left in our gutter collectors, but Julie is now having to triage the poor plants. I think our planting scheme will include more succulents for next year.
Andrew.
We are about the same Andrew, we did have torrential rain yesterday for about 5 minutes then everything was dry as a bone!

Them Blackbirds. I love Cherries, buy on average one pound a day. Somehow they disappear from the bowl in the kitchen and the Blackbird sits on the fence looking very content. I suspect her indoors takes the pips out for them as I never find any in the garden.

We are about the same Andrew, we did have torrential rain yesterday for about 5 minutes then everything was dry as a bone!
Well, we had almost 3” of rain yesterday afternoon and a temperature of 93f! It was like a Turkish bath. The temperature dropped almost 20 degrees during the rain, evaporative cooling.

Well, we had almost 3” of rain yesterday afternoon and a temperature of 93f! It was like a Turkish bath. The temperature dropped almost 20 degrees during the rain, evaporative cooling.
It never rains but it pours & then they say it`s the wrong kind of rain. There is far too much concrete these days & there is nowhere for the rain to go, hence we have floods.

It never rains but it pours & then they say it`s the wrong kind of rain. There is far too much concrete these days & there is nowhere for the rain to go, hence we have floods.
And we are having the same today! The concrete sends it down the drain to the rivers then they flood their banks!

Correct. The common name is "Christmas Rose" as well as Helleborus for shorter version of the full name.
https://www.gardenia.net/plant/helleborus-niger-christmas-rose

We have a couple of different plants some with white and others with deeply coloured flowers. They stick their thumb right in the snow's eye in bloom!

They flower for several months during the winter months right until the spring. Removal of the expired flowers and leaves underneath promotes growth.

Our winters in Western Canada are quite mild, usually down to -10C at the maximum, but we've hit -20C a few times and pretty much nothing fazes the Christmas Rose. They can be flattened in a snow bank and once uncovered, spring back into life!

Ours all survived -20C last winter, when we lost four hardy perennials bushes that were well-established.

There's a couple in this image, after the blooms had expired and been removed.

Attachments

• Christmas Rose.JPG
    Christmas Rose.JPG
    106.9 KB · Views: 7
I have now been told it was a variety called Christmas Carol. The interest here is that it has been the driest start to a year in the UK since 1911, we have had the hottest temperatures, and it has flowered at the end of July.

They all look perfect. Hoe come the birds have not got a single peck at them

There are thousands of them. 150 yards, each side of the track, about 5 yards+ deep each side.

Roe deer have been eating them, and a fair amount picked by local people, but plenty left.

I have just eaten some, and, although small compared to shop bought, the taste is on a different level.

Steve.

Steve.

The Boss, and I, went clay pigeon shooting this morning. The Range sits within a forestry block, and the track is amass with Rasps!

We picked enough for a good helping for each of us.

Steve.
Wonderful fruit. I have a patch of Summer Raspberries and a patch of Autumn Raspberries. For those that do not know Summer Raspberries fruit on last years wood. Autumn Raspberries fruit on new wood so cut down last years wood when fruited On Summer Raspberries and cut Autumn Raspberries right down to eighteen inches in November a fact lost on my eldest son as last year he decided to cut them all down to eighteen inches without asking as he was bored to help me out. The pennies dropped with him now as he loved Raspberries with his cereal in the mornings.

I've never grown tomatoes before but bought some seeds which quickly grew into sturdy plants. Tomatoes appeared but they are green near the stalks and also have faint ridges. I Googled and found it was known as 'green shoulders' and the green parts would never properly ripen. The plants have lots of tomatoes but it's not looking good ... :(

Attachments

• Tomatoes.jpg
    Tomatoes.jpg
    196.1 KB · Views: 6
i had lots of caterpillars on my nasturtiuns, so i sprayed them with garlic water they soon left:grinning:

Attachments

• Common-Nasturtium.jpg
    Common-Nasturtium.jpg
    109.2 KB · Views: 1
  • cats.jpg
    cats.jpg
    165.1 KB · Views: 1
i had lots of caterpillars on my nasturtiuns, so i sprayed them with garlic water they soon left:grinning:
Nasturtiums are edible so if you are lucky you will get some extra protein.:yum

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back