• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

In the garden 2022

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think it was. I know it’s the River and Rail this side of the river. Having looked it up it still is the Unicorn. One September day fishing that side of the river, we came to pack up. Dad said give us the sandwiches out the bag. Sandwiches were still on the kitchen table so we went to the pub, dad asked what food they served owner said non but I have some cheese I can make you some up. So dad ordered three cheese sandwiches. Dad only admitted later on the way home he had never eaten cheese in his life beforehand but he was converted that day. Now me as my surgery nurse says do you live on cheese to which I reply cheese is life and when I am in France I track down cheeses I have never seen before.

Last edited:
Well decided after this winter we are only going to plant species that are native to this island. This brought about as I raised some Alba Foxgloves from seed in 2020 a mass of bumblebee and bees visited this year which in the past we have only had on our everlasting native sweet peas.

Nice pics! It looks like everything is doing just fine. We have had a very slow growing season even in the greenhouse for annuals this year, until a couple of weeks ago. Still, there's nothing quite so satisfying as nurturing some tiny plants along, or growing from them from seed.

However, I didn't get my usual success rate with seeds this year. Maybe COVID caused supplier issues, but the seeds do not seem to be as high quality as usual. I usually use the seeds that I capture, but decided to purge and start afresh this year, which I'm now thinking was a mistake. Older seeds have done better than some more recent purchases. Oh well.

FYI, here's a few pics of the yards from our old home in Mission, BC, Canada today (40 miles inland, east of Vancouver on the Fraser River). The weather has warmed this past week to high 20s and into the mid-30s, thankfully with one wonderful day of rain!

Today, it was overcast in the morning, but the heat set in during the afternoon, well into the 30s. Next week is forecast to be high 30s, bordering low 40s. The patio will be into the 40s for sure. I have to empty out the greenhouse tomorrow and plant the remaining plants, as it hits over 50C in there mid-summer.

FWIW, the Dusty Miller shown below is typically treated as an annual here, although it is technically a perennial. They usually get tall, straggly and die off if it gets down below freezing too much, but this little fella's survived over 5 years and -10C multiple times and even -20C and a move to this more sheltered spot. It's been hacked off, flattened by snow and taken a beating, but refuses to give up! Maybe its because I grew it from seed, but its the only survivor!

Dusty Miller.JPG

Below, everything in the front needs a good watering, since a heavy trimming earlier this week. My wife is out there with the hose somewhere. The grass goes brown rapidly at this time of the year.

Wife is out there in the front yard somewhere watering!.JPG

Below, two of the four "window" boxes, re-grown with whatever was in them last year, except for a couple of Begonias and a fresh sprinkling of Lobelia seeds. I usually give them a good working over, but was lazy this year and it's still doing okay.

Mostly last years reseeded window boxes.JPG

Below, our yard has a lot of spring colour each year with the perennials usually making up the bulk of the perimeter plantings in the spring. Their colour has gone now, so we await the annuals to strut their stuff. The Clematis and Honeysuckles are finally taking off, a bit further down out of view. The Hostas and Sedums grow huge.

The resident skunks love to crawl under the fence and stay close to the Hostas and plants along the back fence. Stinky they are when they are larger adults, but not as scary as a visit from a black bear.

Two full-sized cubs were up in the Cherry tree in our neighbour's front yard last year, when my wife took our dogs out before bedtime. It's quite a sight to see them clambering around on the foliage without falling off! A racoon joined them and we expected a ruckus, but he stayed for a few minutes, ate some cherries and moved on!

We're in "Bear Country", because newer subdivision developments to our north, have forced the bears and wildlife closer into town. There are a series of ravines which the bears travel along, running north to south. One ended up in our back yard early one morning around 3:45 am. I was just heading out the back door and spooked the bear enough for him to jump off a dirt pile at the end of the yard to clear the 7' fence and startled our next door neighbour who was out having a smoke on his back porch, before leaving for work!

The annuals are finally beginning to grow and bloom. The little Marigold in the border, is one of about 40 grown in my greenhouse and has been that about size for almost a month, never really grew, but did reach the bud stage. BTW, I'd say "our" greenhouse, but my wife doesn't go in there. She prefers to be the "gopher". She's my plant installation engineer! By November, that tiny marigold will be about 16" around. There's about 40 of them dotted around the front and back yards.

Patio.JPG

Below, growing lettuce, spinach, spring onions, kale, carrots, tomatoes and cucumbers in this pair of 150 gallon stock tanks (Rubbermaid animal feed tanks) sure beats the heck out of crawling around on our knees, or replacing rotting wooden raised beds.

Stock tanks used for raised beds.JPG

Below, it's time to empty out the last few straggler plants before the greenhouse gets too hot around 50C! The cucumbers will do just fine with frequent watering. The old English wash board behind the cucumbers, is well-traveled!

Stragglers in the greenhouse.JPG.
Below, we've had a toad or two visit over the years, but a couple of months ago, a frog arrived from somewhere and stayed. When the dog next door barks, the frog barks back! He seems to enjoy the pond with the more than 100 gold fish. He lives under a Marsh Marigold on the rocks, but sun bathes on the lily pads during the daytime. I'm not sure where he came from, but the closest wetlands and our friends trout farm are 3/4 mile away!

There's a recently arrived frog settled in with the 100 + goldfish.JPG

View below to to the west down the yard towards our grand daughter Levi's playhouse by the greenhouse and bird "sanctuary". This back yard has been through several phases in our past 38 years here. The retirement homes behind the fence occupy acreage that was once full of nut trees and was built on when the land owner passed away. It is quiet, so we call it the "Morgue".

We've gone from having wood shack and shed out there, to a large play area with 10' x10' play house when my wife ran a licensed daycare from home when our children were young. The photo below this one shows the previous state, before reclaiming our back garden. BTW, "garden" is North American for vegetable garden, while front and back yards are the typical British garden equivalencies.

Time to water.JPG

Back yard circa 2000 when it served as a daycare. My wife won the 10' x10' Victorian play house in a raffle so I put it on an 11' square concrete pad and ran power out to it. Our youngest daughter and her friends played and slept out there.
We donated it to a pre-school in 2001.

Play House.JPG

Tomatoes and cucumbers finally picking up.JPG

Anyway, that's a little FYI look at some plants doing okay 7,935 (~5000 miles) away from Brum.

Martin

Last edited:
Thanks so much!. I'm not an avid gardner by nature, but believe that a well-kept property no matter how old, is a pleasure to enjoy. I raced cars and motorcycles for many years, but always maintained the gardens. A race car or offroad vehicle parked on a nicely kept property, brings no negative attention to those who like to complain.

About three years ago, we had a 65' x 14' x14' cedar hedge removed out front by the road. I used to have to stand on the roof of my old truck and scaffolding to trim it twice a year. It provided great privacy and a noise barrier, but was reaching the end of it's life and almost took mine, when I fell off the roof of the truck into the hedge backwards one day, twisting my knee badly.

My wife wanted me to just seed the slope in grass, but I preferred to put in a variety of shrubs for passers by to enjoy.
We have since won a couple of awards from Communities in Bloom, which is an added measure of satsifaction for what is a labour of love.

Last edited:
Nice pics! It looks like everything is doing just fine. We have had a very slow growing season even in the greenhouse for annuals this year, until a couple of weeks ago. Still, there's nothing quite so satisfying as nurturing some tiny plants along, or growing from them from seed.

However, I didn't get my usual success rate with seeds this year. Maybe COVID caused supplier issues, but the seeds do not seem to be as high quality as usual. I usually use the seeds that I capture, but decided to purge and start afresh this year, which I'm now thinking was a mistake. Older seeds have done better than some more recent purchases. Oh well.

FYI, here's a few pics of the yards from our old home in Mission, BC, Canada today (40 miles inland, east of Vancouver on the Fraser River). The weather has warmed this past week to high 20s and into the mid-30s, thankfully with one wonderful day of rain!

Today, it was overcast in the morning, but the heat set in during the afternoon, well into the 30s. Next week is forecast to be high 30s, bordering low 40s. The patio will be into the 40s for sure. I have to empty out the greenhouse tomorrow and plant the remaining plants, as it hits over 50C in there mid-summer.

FWIW, the Dusty Miller shown below is typically treated as an annual here, although it is technically a perennial. They usually get tall, straggly and die off if it gets down below freezing too much, but this little fella's survived over 5 years and -10C multiple times and even -20C and a move to this more sheltered spot. It's been hacked off, flattened by snow and taken a beating, but refuses to give up! Maybe its because I grew it from seed, but its the only survivor!

View attachment 171879

Below, everything in the front needs a good watering, since a heavy trimming earlier this week. My wife is out there with the hose somewhere. The grass goes brown rapidly at this time of the year.

View attachment 171872

Below, two of the four "window" boxes, re-grown with whatever was in them last year, except for a couple of Begonias and a fresh sprinkling of Lobelia seeds. I usually give them a good working over, but was lazy this year and it's still doing okay.

View attachment 171873

Below, our yard has a lot of spring colour each year with the perennials usually making up the bulk of the perimeter plantings in the spring. Their colour has gone now, so we await the annuals to strut their stuff. The Clematis and Honeysuckles are finally taking off, a bit further down out of view. The Hostas and Sedums grow huge.

The resident skunks love to crawl under the fence and stay close to the Hostas and plants along the back fence. Stinky they are when they are larger adults, but not as scary as a visit from a black bear.

Two full-sized cubs were up in the Cherry tree in our neighbour's front yard last year, when my wife took our dogs out before bedtime. It's quite a sight to see them clambering around on the foliage without falling off! A racoon joined them and we expected a ruckus, but he stayed for a few minutes, ate some cherries and moved on!

We're in "Bear Country", because newer subdivision developments to our north, have forced the bears and wildlife closer into town. There are a series of ravines which the bears travel along, running north to south. One ended up in our back yard early one morning around 3:45 am. I was just heading out the back door and spooked the bear enough for him to jump off a dirt pile at the end of the yard to clear the 7' fence and startled our next door neighbour who was out having a smoke on his back porch, before leaving for work!

The annuals are finally beginning to grow and bloom. The little Marigold in the border, is one of about 40 grown in my greenhouse and has been that about size for almost a month, never really grew, but did reach the bud stage. BTW, I'd say "our" greenhouse, but my wife doesn't go in there. She prefers to be the "gopher". She's my plant installation engineer! By November, that tiny marigold will be about 16" around. There's about 40 of them dotted around the front and back yards.

View attachment 171874

Below, growing lettuce, spinach, spring onions, kale, carrots, tomatoes and cucumbers in this pair of 150 gallon stock tanks (Rubbermaid animal feed tanks) sure beats the heck out of crawling around on our knees, or replacing rotting wooden raised beds.

View attachment 171875

Below, it's time to empty out the last few straggler plants before the greenhouse gets too hot around 50C! The cucumbers will do just fine with frequent watering. The old English wash board behind the cucumbers, is well-traveled!

View attachment 171881.
Below, we've had a toad or two visit over the years, but a couple of months ago, a frog arrived from somewhere and stayed. When the dog next door barks, the frog barks back! He seems to enjoy the pond with the more than 100 gold fish. He lives under a Marsh Marigold on the rocks, but sun bathes on the lily pads during the daytime. I'm not sure where he came from, but the closest wetlands and our friends trout farm are 3/4 mile away!

View attachment 171876

View below to to the west down the yard towards our grand daughter Levi's playhouse by the greenhouse and bird "sanctuary". This back yard has been through several phases in our past 38 years here. The retirement homes behind the fence occupy acreage that was once full of nut trees and was built on when the land owner passed away. It is quiet, so we call it the "Morgue".

We've gone from having wood shack and shed out there, to a large play area with 10' x10' play house when my wife ran a licensed daycare from home when our children were young. The photo below this one shows the previous state, before reclaiming our back garden. BTW, "garden" is North American for vegetable garden, while front and back yards are the typical British garden equivalencies.

View attachment 171877

Back yard circa 2000 when it served as a daycare. My wife won the 10' x10' Victorian play house in a raffle so I put it on an 11' square concrete pad and ran power out to it. Our youngest daughter and her friends played and slept out there.
We donated it to a pre-school in 2001.

View attachment 171880

View attachment 171878

Anyway, that's a little FYI look at some plants doing okay 7,935 (~5000 miles) away from Brum.

Martin
When you said about the quality of seeds, I used one of the UKs top seed merchants but I have had whole varieties of sweet peas not germinate at all this spring, Swan Lake being one of them. All of these were planted in the same seedling compost. Some of the others only 50% germinated. The one that did all germinate were Singing The Blues.
I spoke to a friend in Halesowen he said on his allotment he had not much success with Beetroot and Parsnips, we put it down to the long drawn out cold spring.
My own Parsnips have been hit and miss also, some rows up to two feet where non have germinated.

When you said about the quality of seeds, I used one of the UKs top seed merchants but I have had whole varieties of sweet peas not germinate at all this spring, Swan Lake being one of them. All of these were planted in the same seedling compost. Some of the others only 50% germinated. The one that did all germinate were Singing The Blues.
I spoke to a friend in Halesowen he said on his allotment he had not much success with Beetroot and Parsnips, we put it down to the long drawn out cold spring.
My own Parsnips have been hit and miss also, some rows up to two feet where non have germinated.
Agreed then Terence, it isn't just my locale! That provides me with some measure of comfort. I usually get an 80-90% germination success on most seeds, but even those grown this year haven't turned any decent growth rate. 50-60% germination seems to be my average this year at best, which is okay because of the volume.

You know, for some reason I have never been able to grow spring onions. I have prolific chives and excellent garlic, but spring onions never amounted to anything until this year. I have a bountiful crop, for the first time ever! Maybe there is hope after all!

Martin

Not seeds but the passion flower in post 658. Cost a mere £2 from Morrisons and has lots of buds - already had other buds open. Compared with the more expensive garden centre one I planted last year which managed one flower in total.
To save scrolling back

Last edited:
Not seeds but the passion flower in post 658. Cost a mere £2 from Morrisons and has lots of buds - already had other buds open. Compared with the more expensive garden centre one I planted last year which managed one flower in total.
To save scrolling back
I hope the Passion Flower is in a sheltered position, will need fleece if frost forecast come winter.

To save scrolling back
Beautiful Passion Flower Janice! Agreed, sometimes garden centre plants can be overrated and definitely over priced.

We rarely get a -20C out here on the west coast of Canada, usually -10C being the lowest. This past winter we actually lost about five perennials that were well established.

I hope the Passion Flower is in a sheltered position, will need fleece if frost forecast come winter.
Janice, we have experienced the same in the US. Buying from Garden Centers (which seem now to be more price competitive) and discount stores. We purchased hanging plants that were relatively small but with so care a feeding have become full of leaves and at half the price on the Garden Center!

Another problem and I am not the only one to experience this. Very few bees about. I have asked a friend to bring one of his Hives around for a week as my French beans and runner beans are awash with flowers.

For all of you suffering from a lack of rain, today is day four of not having to water the garden here. Yes, we have been getting rain!
However, that rain has been coming in on a nasty wind. 24 hrs. of 30mph+, NNW winds, have not been kind.

This poor thing was blown clean off a wee table on our small patio.

Lots of flowers on my Clematis have shrivelled - the air temperature in the wind was 9deg.C.

I would have preferred to water the garden, than get rain from that direction.

Steve.

For all of you suffering from a lack of rain
Go on, rub it in :). Today is our 22nd day with no rain at all, and temperatures in the mid 30s, some days 40. We have some water left in our gutter collectors, but Julie is now having to triage the poor plants. I think our planting scheme will include more succulents for next year.
Andrew.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back