• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Hospital Street

Hi Phil and Dek. I've watched the media clip attached to "Duddeston Slum Clearance" thread and it certainly tells a different story. A short clip, but it gave me a fairly good idea of what it was like inside the courts/back to backs. Viv.

Viv our house was one of the last to go i watched the lot disappear before my eyes it was like a vast wilderness of waste ground. At the time it didn,t mean much to me i was i young teenager just starting out in a new world far bigger than i could have imagined. When we were young we never traveled far out of our area a trip to Ward End Park was a special day out. Dek

Hi Dek. Is there much left of Hospital Street? And what happened when it was developed after the clearance? More importantly what happened to the people who lived there? Viv.

Viv sorry i was talking about the Duddeston slum clearance in my last post which was on the East side of Brum where i lived . Hospital st is still there the town end is made up of small factory units and warehouses The rest is housing divided by the inner ring road New John St West most of the original people were scattered all over town.

Oh I see! All the same I expect your experience was pretty similar to those across quite a few areas which disappeared during the clearances. And it's such a pity some of these developments weren't necessarily for the better. Viv.

Hi

Latest extract recently published by Carl Chinn in the Irish harp
on the Moran Family who lived in Hospital St

Mike Jenks

hi mike..thanks for sharing your family history with us it makes brillient reading....just as a matter of interest what number hospital st were your rellies living at...

lyn

My 4 x Great Grandfather Joseph Augustus Dixon died at the back of 43, Hospital Street in 1856. The informant, William Tooze, son-in-law, resided at the same address.

From the attached photograph provided by 'Astoness' previously on this forum (37/45 Hospital Street c.1933), can anyone suggest the location of No.43?

Joseph is buried at Key Hill Cemetery. Although his grave memorial no longer survives, his personal journals (covering his earlier life as a haberdasher, mercer, traveller, family man and preacher) are held by Birmingham University Library.

Mark

hi again mark and welcome...its good to see another member with hospital st connections...i dont know which way the houses were numbered but if 37 was on the far right then 43 could possibly be the house where all the folk are standing outside..if on the other hand 37 start on the left 43 would be just behind the brewhouse..

lyn

Last edited:
Would this photo be of the front or back of 37-45? It looks like a rear courtyard.

Would 'back of 43' have been a single address or a number of addresses?

Mark

mark..its definately the rear but i am hoping mike or someone with a bit more knowledge than i have will be able to help with your other question..

My Great Gran Jane and husband Michael Crowe were quite wealthy and she was a daughter of thomas and Mary Moran. The type on the newspaper is v difficult to read but can't find Jane.

Mark
The picture shows the rear of the houses. The map below shows the part of Hospital st between New summer st (off to the right at the top) an Henrietta st. the numbering of hospital st was starting at Summer Row, with odd numbers on the east side. No 54 was between henrietta st and william st north. counting back from william st north. This makes no 43 (front and back houses) those marked in red and back 43 being the house with theopen 2nd floor window and behind the lamppost. . This fits with the small fenced area behind the people being the area in green , and the passageway on the map by the side of no 43 being part hidden by the shirt on the lower line
mike

map_c_1913_no43_hospital_st~0.jpg

Thanks for that mike,i'll have a proper read tomorrow when i'm more awake.
Im surprised they have been going so long.
Thanks again lynne.

thanks for the link mike...how fascinating and the trust still carries on today....

lyn

Thankyou for your efforts in determining this location - I now have a better understanding of how these houses were laid out.

Mark

I am researching the history of Reuben Heaton (fishing tackle makers) who were based at 9 & 10 Upper Hospital street until 1883, and then 161 - 165 thereafter. I always thought they had moved from one to the other, but it may just be the number changes. I have looked at the directories either side of the 1883 date, and the company does seem to have neighbours with similar names both before and after 1883, suggesting they are the same neighbours in both cases. does anyone have a lead or reference on this number change?

A lot of streets were renumbered in the period 1880-1888. mostly it was a change from consecutive numbering (1,2,3.... up on e side of the street , this being continued down the other side back to opposite where you started from) to alternate (odd numbers one side, even the other). this did not happen with all streets and the year is not the same for all streets. In many cases (not all) the earlier consecutive system originated when a street only had access at one end, but at some later date joined another at the other end. It's easy enough to see if the numbering after an apparent change is alternate, and before is consecutive. Usually this means that it is the same building
mike

Just read what i found an interesting fact.Walter Smith (butchers) first shop was in Hospital Street,Hockley.Founded by G.A.Smith in 1885.Moss.

As it happens my sisters first boy friend worked for Walter Smith butchers
either the glebe or lea village i think,
He used to teach me all the butchers back slang,(on doog )
a lot of it was bad language you just turn every word around, you get the idea.
regards dereklcg

RE: HANDS FAMILY LIVING 23 NEW JOHN STREET, WEST, BIRMINGHAM, in 1871

Hi Peter

I have just read your message. My gt gt grandparents lived at 23 New John Street, West, in the 1871 Census, they are,

William Hands, head, Married, age 32, a jeweller, born Birmingham
Sarah Hands, wife, Married, age 32, born Birmingham
William Hands, son, age 11, born Birmingham
Albert Hands, son, age 6, born Birmingham
Joseph Hands, son, age 4, born Birmingham, MY GT GRANDFATHER, born 1866.

Are you related to the HANDS FAMILY, or do you know anything about my family.

I would be grateful to hear from you, if you have a connection.

Many thanks
Joan Harvey (nee Hands)

its been a while since a pic of hospital st turned up..just found this one of FW wrights cafe dated 1920

mike if you see this post i wonder if you would supply a map showing where in the street it was...

thank you mike....

lyn

Lyn
lay have found a little scandal. I looked at the 1921 directory for a coffee rooms in hospital st, but the only ones listed were Mary Major at 63 and Joseph Jackson at 72.
However the 1920 electoral roll gives Flora & William Henry Wright at no 72 . The 1922 roll gives Flora Wright & Joseph Jackson. .The 1915 Kellys lists it as Henry Wright hairdresser. So it looks like Henry Wright has the shop as a hairdresser, his wife Flora makes it into a coffee house, Henry dies/runs-off or whatever, and Flora takes up with Joseph Jackson, who renames the place with his name.
The position is shown in blue

map_c_1913_no_72_hospital_st.jpg

Back