• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Hospital Street

ooh err mike....nice bit of history going on there....the cafe was more or less opposite the globe inn then where our dad was born...corner of william st north and hospital st...

thanks for all that mike its most interesting and certainly gets you thinking...

lyn

Hi Joan
My mom lived in New John Street West, Her name was Greatrex and her mother was Doris Harvey daughter of Harry Edwin Harvey. I don't know if there is any connection, but i thought i would mension it.

Regards Stars (Eric)

moss if you look at lynne webbs avatar showing hospital st ...have you got that pic as i cant find it in my files..also if you would like to email me the pics that wont load i will see if i can get them on for you...

I've been looking for that photo too Lyn as my gt grandma probably owned that shop! You're making great progress with re-posting your photos. Viv.

moss...unfortunately i had the same problem as you..i could not upload the 3 pics you sent me....i am going to ask my son to try and sort it out for me later

lyn..

oh well done moss....2nd pic on post 194 is taken outside the rose and crown corner of hospital and brearley st..1953 coronation celebrations...lynne webb will be happy as the 4th pic shows her old house...

lyn

hi viv...in pic 4 after the houses you can see a bomb peck and after that you can just see the rose and crown pub..hospital st was bombed in 1941 and the rose and crown demolished in the early 60s so it would have been taken between these dates...

lyn

Thanks for posting my favourite pic moss, now I know we are getting back to normal. My sister did a bit of research on the pic and found it was taken in 1947, I lived there then.
Lynne.

That's great that the photo is back on here. I remember earlier posts on this thread that maybe Lynne's relations and mine might have been neighbours, which is a lovely thought! Mine lived at #180 Hospital Street and I now know for definite that they ran a shop and coalyard. I also know from an earlier post that they had the shop from at least1892 to at least 1903. My only doubt about whether this was the place was that it was suggested the houses might have been re-numbered before this photo. All the same, lovely to see this again. Will save it this time! Viv

Viv, according to Mike the numbers changed in the 1880s, so I may be wrong, but wouldn't think they would change them again so soon. I lived at 182, so 180 would be next door, the second house from the right. Looking at the windows of 180,they could have been changed from shop style to match the rest of the houses, hope tis makes sense.
Lynne.

Yes Lynne that makes perfect sense. Your relations would almost certainly have known mine. I know mine had moved from here to Lozells by 1920 but don't know why they moved. But how nice to make the connection, and I'm glad the photo's back on here. Brings it home about how much was lost over the last week. Viv.

Hi Lyn,i didn't put that picture on,as i cannot imagine where on Hospital Street it was.
Maybe Mike can help.

You put it on Lyn!!. Below i repeat my comments and map of post 180 on this thread:

May have found a little scandal. I looked at the 1921 directory for a coffee rooms in hospital st, but the only ones listed were Mary Major at 63 and Joseph Jackson at 72.
However the 1920 electoral roll gives Flora & William Henry Wright at no 72 . The 1922 roll gives Flora Wright & Joseph Jackson. .The 1915 Kellys lists it as Henry Wright hairdresser. So it looks like Henry Wright has the shop as a hairdresser, his wife Flora makes it into a coffee house, Henry dies/runs-off or whatever, and Flora takes up with Joseph Jackson, who renames the place with his name.
The position is shown in blue

map_c_1913_no_72_hospital_st.jpg

View attachment 72066

View attachment 72065

i know moss...its just modern factories there now...thanks mike for reposting that info...

lyn

Back