• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Hospital Street

the unknown one seems to say "place" on the right hand pillar, but can't read the other one.
Mike

mike you are right it does say place...shame we cant make out the other word well spotted i missed that...think i dectect a number on the right door but it would be impossible to tell...

lyn

far as i know froth they said its ok so long as one does not do it for gain and they are taken by the public works dept not someones private pics....

lyn

I have purchased quite a few photos from the central library, and had to sign a declaration that I would not publish or show them publicly, however, I have seen several of them in different publcations and several on here.

hi astonite...its a funny thing is this copywrite but as i said my understanding is so long as you dont reel off the pics and sell the for gain..(which i dont) i shall keep on posting them....i think if we constantly had to fear the copywrite laws on every pic we wanted to post (which is a very grey area anyway) this forum would have very little pics to look at...of course if i wanted to post anyones personel pics i would always ask permission first...for the ones i post off carl chinns site i do have his permisssion so long as post courtesy of carl chinn....

lyn

Last edited:
As you say Lyn,the copyright laws are a very grey area.

I have the Images of Birmingham Books,Saltley and Duddeston by Maria Twist and others about Erdington,Coleshill etc.I note inside it says that no portion of the book can be reproduced without the permission of the publishers, but I have seen some of the images out there on the internet.
I would think that in the case of photos they would have to prove you took the image from their publication.

Alberta,

So what about when you see the same image in several different books all by different publishers and different compilers and they all claim copyright and tell you that it is an offence for you to copy it and redistribute it.

How can any photo taken of unknown origins be copyrighted? Yes I understand that a lot of photos in private collections are copyrighted. Also many taken by photographers which are also protected, but there are so many photos out there in the public domain who no one knows the origin of that have just been claimed by individuals and organisations.

Phil

alberta and phil....thats the problem... in many cases we can never be sure who owns what photos and could spend many weeks trying to track them down if ever we found out at all...jim has posted at the top of the page that if anyone has copyright to any pics posted and i guess would have to prove it then the pics will be removed straight away...oh well im off on another search now before i go off thread again...

lyn

MY WIFE AND HER FAMILY COME FROM 6/ 92 NEW SUMMER ST,(JONES )
HER MOM AND MY WIFE WORKED IN CECIL ST GEO BAKERS,HER NAN LIVED IN
TOWER ST THE VARNY,S, MY WIFE WENT TO SCHOOL IN TOWER ST.
HAPPY DAYS dereklcg

hi derek..i know i have seen a pic of new summer street but cant locate it just yet...off shopping now but i will look for you later unless of course you already have some in which case could you let me have them please..lol...

ttfn

lyn

Great pics Lyn. Your time was well spent in the library. This gives me a much better idea of how the courts would have looked. Pic 2 looks like the architects actually put some thought into the design!! Regards Viv.

Hi Lyn,If picture 2 is Hospital Street,Hockley,it must have been demolished,or bombed before 1945 or myself or my older sister would remember it.
Moss.

Moss have a look at the thread posted by Lyn on Princip St theres a photo on there very similar of (i,m almost sure this Terrace but in colour)Different camera ,different time but the entrance is identical. Dek

Has this been on before? I don't remember seeing it. It is the corner of Frankfort St & Hospital St in 1967. It looks as if the area was due for demolition soon.

Phil

NewtownHospitalSt-FrankfortSt1967.jpg

hi dek..just had a closer look and the entrances are similar but there looks to be a longer line of houses in the hospital st pic and also they have got bay windows where as they havnt in the princip st one...

lyn

Thanks Lyn on closer examination they are not the same the Hospital St ones have bay windows being the primary difference, the background is different as well. similar entrance but thats about it Dek

Yep agree Lyn. Hospital St houses have bay windows. (Pity the lovely clean washing obscures the view in Princip St!!) But must have been a pretty popular style for the street design around the area, probably same architect. Viv.

Can anyone read the plaque above the shop doorway of Phil's pic of Hospital/Frankfurt St? Viv.

many thanks phil..cant recall seeing that one...viv i have always thought that although folk did not have much in those days what they did have they kept with pride...

lyn

Just been looking a bit more closely at Lyn's Hospital St pic 2 and I'm intrigued to find out what the buildings are at the far end of the court. I don't think they're outside loos. Just can't makeout what they are. Any ideas?? Viv.

Viv i would think they would be the wash houses they all have chimneys so they would be boiling water in them. i have seen something else that interests me on the wall copping stones there appears to be a name on the front each side of the entrance i wonder if this is the name of the terrace. Dek

Do you mean commercial brewing Lyn? Looks like there's a big sack outside one of the arches. One thing that really strikes me about the pic is that everything is well looked after including the houses, the communal area and the people in the pic. A really nice snapshot of a moment in history. Any ideas on a rough date of the pic? Viv.

Viv

They were wash house where people did their laundry, but they got the name brewhouses because people did brew their own beer in them. Especially if they were copper boilers.

Phil

Viv

I've been looking at the photo I posted and I can't make out the name of the shop either, I looked at the 1967 edition of Kelly's Trade Directory and there is no mention of a shop on that corner. But an earlier edition makes mention of a shop at 303 Hospital St at that time owned by a Mrs Harriett Goodman.

Phil

Oh... it all makes sense now! Thanks Phil & Lyn. Yes Dek the coping stones do look like they've got a name on them. Earlier discussion on this thread deals with courts in terms of numbers - no names - so it would be interesting to know if names were given to them. Are they listed anywhere? We could probably identify it from a list of names by a process of elimination e.g the name on the right hand column looks like its 5 letters long. Just a thought...... Viv

Back