• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Holidays of the past

The lady second from the right in #64 is wearing sandals that a lot of ladies of a certain age used to wear, and don't now. I suppose they're no longer made. I had a great-aunt who used to wear them.

maria

I don't know where this was (somewhere on the east coast, perhaps?:)). I am invisible in the middle, with my parents and some Hitchin relatives.

Attachments

• maylins by the sea.jpg
    maylins by the sea.jpg
    59.3 KB · Views: 19
This was taken at Rhyl June 1933 just after I was born. 83 years ago next Tues. Mom Dad and me in my pram on a walk 1933 Rhyl 001.jpg

yes maria it does look a tad windy but everyone seems happy enough:)....thanks for sharing with us all..

lyn

Hi Folks.
First time I saw the sea was about 1947 Margate we stopped at a B & B 30 Fort Crescent. across the road from Winter Gardens.
We used to go to Bar next to the Winter Gardens where children were allowed it was called THE LIDO which also used to put entertainments on.
One of the was A Murray Pilser who had small monkey that swam in and old cockpit spitfire cover turned upside down.
We also went to Dover it was a mess after the war I think it was the Grand Hotel which was badly damaged widows out curtains blowing freely in the wind.

Attachments

• 002.jpg
    002.jpg
    204.2 KB · Views: 27
  • 001.jpg
    001.jpg
    224.9 KB · Views: 26
For reasons unknown my parents never took my 2 sister and I to the seaside. After mother died of cancer in 1943 I went to live with my 'nan' in Aston, I was 13 yo, I became friends with the son of the 'gaffer' of the Avenue pub in Queens Road who hired a coach to take all his friends on a day trip to the sea (it was either Rhyl or Weston, can't be sure) This would be summer 1944, that was the first time I saw the sea aged 14 and just left school. Eric

IMG_0762.jpg

Not sure if this is the right thread, but the picture is from August 1939, just before the declaration of war.

lovely photo pedrocut and it would be many years later that life got back to some sort of normality

lyn

Were they the wrong way when you viewed them before you uploaded them? I had one the other day like that and I had to rotate it, then save it again as the new way round and then it uploaded OK. No idea why it wouldn't accept the first one. If still having trouble upload one so I can download it and see if I can come up with anything.
Janice

I do remember, that I did for a few years go POTATO picking. This was the most back breaking job I ever did. Hours in all kinds of weather bending over. TOUGH duty

hi ray i cant really add to what janice has already advised...just try to make sure that before you post them on the forum they are the right way round...let us know how it goes

lyn

Like a lot of other people here, it seems, my first sight of the sea was at Rhyl. It was around 1956-57, I'd guess, when I was six or seven. We travelled from Brum by "charabanc" -- the posh name mother preferred instead of coach in those days. I remember walking from the coach then over the brow of a hill and there was the great, glistening expanse of blue sea. A bit of a shock for a lad from Sparkbrook, but I had a great time with the old bucket and spade making sand castles on the beach.

I do remember, that I did for a few years go POTATO picking. This was the most back breaking job I ever did. Hours in all kinds of weather bending over. TOUGH duty
Hi Old Brit,
You can certainly say that again. During the war I went to a camp at Arrow near Alcester with my school to help the farmers etc. We split into teams and my team went potato picking. At the end of the first day my team leader told me that the farmer had said that I would not be required next day as I moaned too much. I was then put into a team that was picking strawberries. The work was so much easier and the pay more. I guess that I was the winner.
Chris Beresford.

I did a couple of days blackcurrant picking back in 1964. Cycled from Hall Green to Nield House Farm, Harvington, near Chaddesley Corbett. It was 20 miles each way. Picked blackcurrants totalling 36 pounds weight from 10.00 to 16.00 on both days. The rate was 3 shillings and sixpence for filling a 12 pounds box. Therefore I earned 10/6 each day and £1-1-0 for the total of two days. It was very back aching and even in those days it did not seem very much to earn. The 20 mile each way cycle run was easily accomplished but today I'm not sure I could do it. Definitely not a holiday. Dave.

Aberdovey.jpg Bangor Cathedral.jpg Barouth.jpg
I was never taken to the seaside as a child and the first time I saw the sea was when I went on my motor bike to Hayling Island to see a friend who was there on holiday. This may have something to do with why I really wanted to be a lorry driver. These images are from todays Daily Mail and I visited all of the locations in my late tens when I used drive a small lorry.

The first three are ABERDOVEY, BANGOR CATHEDRAL and BARMOUTH.

Last edited by a moderator:
Carmarthen Bridge over the River Towey..jpg Llandudno.jpg Llangollen.jpg
The next three are CARMARTHEN BRIDGE over the RIVER TOWEY, LLANDUDNO and LLANGOLLEN.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back