• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Holidays of the past

Can't remember whether I've posted this before but it's at New Brighton Lido (now sadly lost to storms), around summer 1948 - who remembers knitted swimsuits? They got longer with the water and were always still damp when you came to put them on the next day.

Attachments

• New Brighton.jpg
    New Brighton.jpg
    468.3 KB · Views: 12
most school summer holidays i went to stop with my gran and grandad in Derbyshire. my gran looked like grannie off the hill billies show.
grandad was smashing he had a job with the local council as a rd sweeper becouse ww1 som took its toll on him i had most days i spent mooching around the woods hoping to see Robin hood or going Blackberry picking i cant remember seeing any cars, the milk was del by horse and cart you had to go out with a jug and the man filled it. the house had no electric lights only gas a huge lamp hung from the ceiling and kitchen.
bedrooms had none you used a candle prob why i liked going there.

I always fancied staying at one of these two hotels, during my early trips to Weston, the first is The Grand Atlantic (pictures 1 & 2) and I did get to stay in the second one (The Royal Hotel pictures 3 & 4) thirty odd years ago:

1695561784702.png 1695561948139.png 1695562259286.png 1695562413609.png 1695563052232.png1695563152652.png 1695563188968.png

I thought I would put this on here in response to Kat's comment in the Garden 2024 thread on Saturday.
I/we adore Scotland. The first visit I made was in 1956 when I went by train to visit a friend in Nairn who I had met while in the RAF. I went on overnight train and about 5'30 am on a lovely sunny day went into the corridor [do you remember those on the trains]. The sight is still vivid to me now. We were just passing the Cairngorms and there were a herd of deer prancing about. What a beautiful sight. I could spend hours telling of the wonderful holidays spent there. The following year to our marriage,1966, we went up to visit John again. After that we went every 3/4 years to different areas of Scotland. Because of age and inability to drive such a long distance we have had many coach holidays up there. In the many times we have visited we have only had three holidays spoilt by rain. I always said that when I retired I would retire to Grantown on Spey but never came off.
In my mind the only place to compare to Scotland is Austria

Back