• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

High Street Deritend Digbeth

hi dennis
many thanks for your pic of the forge it as come back to me as you say it is a blues nose
dennis i think the pub missing and is at the corner of oxford stret was the rainbow if my memory serves me correct ; thanks astonian;;;

hi dennis
many thanks for your pic of the forge it as come back to me as you say it is a blues nose
dennis i think the pub missing and is at the corner of oxford stret was the rainbow if my memory serves me correct ; thanks astonian;;;

Right on Alan. Always a pleasure to hear from you. I missed your stories so much I came back! Hope you are well and fit now. And a belated happy birthday. How many pubs did you manage in your career by the way?View attachment 81649View attachment 81650

Rainbow Inn Deritend.jpgRainbow now.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks again Dennis! I've often wondered how big some pubs were, my ancestors at various times ran The Lord Nelson, Thorp St. opposite the Barracks. I've never found a picture, the Ballet is based there now. (Mike put a map on a different thread.)
rosie.

hi dennis

Hi Astonian, The Rainbow is on the corner of Adderley Street I believe.

hi lindy and dennis
i have just scouring my memory and i think it was the bull on the corner of milk street and next premises as you walk past was the very big building and in its hay day it was a corn mill ware house which later into moderen dys of the eighties and possible ninetys
it was the taxi firm red ine taxies and the rainbow was the next rd up and so i think our lindy is correct in telling me off for it ;
but the corn mill ware houdse was on the same corner and i actualy do think it was that bend where this photograph was taken and i know it was some years back about four years since i seen that in a news paper article myself and i think it was the rainbow corner whom was where they took that picture ;
and it was the rainbow that had all that wood work taken out and had the old lead light windows of tradition was done around the early 61or 3
denny i have ran several pubs four of my own and releifes else where cheltham the black country and in brum and ran clubs as well around the midlands
some with chequerewd history [ meainghard to run pubs ] but i quitenend them down and kicked out all druggies from day one ;
best wishes astonian;;

Hi Astonian,
I wasnt telling you off, honest !!
I am not sure if I have understood your post correctly, but The Rainbow on the corner of Adderley Street was a few streets away from Milk Street.
The roads heading towards Camp Hill are Milk Street, Floodgate Street, Gibb Street, Heath Mill Lane and then Adderley Street, so I believe The Rainbow corner would have been too far away to get the photo at post #103.
But if the "corn mill warehouse" was The Digbeth Institute or The Bonsar Building, then that would be where I roughly figured the photo was taken from.
I have doctored a couple of screen shots which might help.

Digbeth and High Street Deritend bbb.jpg Digbeth 2a.jpg

Wow, lindylass, that's some doctoring! Nice ones. So much information and even I am beginning to see both old and new Deritend. Thanks girl, you are a star. As for alan, he can do no wrong for me. Anyone brave enough to manage pubs and clubs anywhere on the planet, let alone in a big City like Brum is obviously mad as a box of frogs...or very big and can REALLY handle himself... I think I'm beginning to see he's probably the latter...

Now if I may get back to the Bridge area, here's a few more ...first looking UP Digbeth, there is a super 1932 shot of an old banger, which I don't recognise, and some railings plus some posh Gateposts that open on to a big substantial looking place? what?

Deritend Bridge 1932  up digbeth.jpg

...and these two just show our Bonser building and other favourites over the difference of a twenty year time span...with trolley wires and without...

Deritend  Up  Trolley cables 40s.jpg Deritend up 60s.jpg

HI LINDY ;
Its okay honest i knew you was not telling me off really i only put it that way for abit of a laugh;
and after reading your thread i did cross check myself and questioniond myself about tht the postion ;and i still sure it was the front end of the old crnmill building that the taxi firm took over way back in the seventys ;or could have been in the eightys ;as i was running a pub in the bull ring at the time
any way linds i hope you forgive me this time i promise and incidencely i will be travelling to brum tommorrow and digbeth and check myself out on the cornware house and hope fully i may get some pics and now i will click into your pics of shots and let you score good points for the good pics you have got ;
take care linds until i speak to you again best wishes alan ;; astonian;;

...a map to make a little sense of that south side shot of the railings and gates on the Rea Bridge from 1932, in Post 128 above. The 1901 map shows the same area, but without the BRIDGE ROW alleyway. Bridge Row is a complete blank to me? Any further info? We need a 1930s map and a Kelly's to see where and what was there?

Rea Bridge Map 1888.jpg

Wow, lindylass, that's some doctoring! Nice ones. So much information and even I am beginning to see both old and new Deritend. Thanks girl, you are a star. As for alan, he can do no wrong for me. Anyone brave enough to manage pubs and clubs anywhere on the planet, let alone in a big City like Brum is obviously mad as a box of frogs...or very big and can REALLY handle himself... I think I'm beginning to see he's probably the latter...

Now if I may get back to the Bridge area, here's a few more ...first looking UP Digbeth, there is a super 1932 shot of an old banger, which I don't recognise, and some railings plus some posh Gateposts that open on to a big substantial looking place? what?

View attachment 81685

...and these two just show our Bonser building and other favourites over the difference of a twenty year time span...with trolley wires and without...

View attachment 81686 View attachment 81687

In picture 2 it shows the advertisement I referred to in post #120 about Morgans sausage.
pleased to know my memory hadn't let me down.
Nick

nick, the Morgan Sausage factory is here...next to the Castle and Falcon pub, which later sold us our curtain materials....

Castle and Falcon  .jpg

Bridge row is not shown on th wOS c1917-27 or the 1937 map. It is listed at the beginning of Kellys as a thoroughfair (at 13 Deritend) , but not individually , nor as an opening at no 13, though it does list "Stoneyard as an opening about there.

map_deritend_c1937.jpg

map_deritend_c1917-27.jpg

Thnks Mike, it looks like the buildings and railings were where the Processed Steel works are in the 1937 Map.

And further up Deritend...."When Leland visited Birmingham in 1538 he approached from the south, and would have been traversing the parish of Aston in the hamlet of Bordesley and until he crossed the Rea, for Aston circled eastward of Birmingham, and even in the 19th Century it had a goal in Bordesley behind the Brown Lion Inn. The goal, consisting of only two cellars, was known as ‘Brownell's Hole’ after W.D.Brownell, the goaler, whose wife Jemima kept the Inn.” A police museum curator later confirmed that the grisly goal was under the White Lion in Bordesley High street....

That is well before the Moor Street one, and the Digbeth Police Station (which was built on the site of a Pub of course) and the Steelhouse Lane lock ups.

White Lion  High St Bordesley.jpg Prisons 1.jpg

nice pic of the white lion dennis..i think there is another view of it on the camp hill flyover thread..the pub that was where digbeth police station now is was the clements vaults....ancestor of mine ran it up until about 1904..demolished 1907...

lyn

I've been looking at newspapers on FindMyPast. My gt gt grandmother Selina Yapp (who was bigamously married to Thomas Yapp!) "received" some stolen silk shawls and pawned them at Joseph Abel's in Digbeth. Thomas who also had a tobacconists at 82 Digbeth was fined 10/- and 10/- costs for having "unjust weights and scales". I guess he was giving short measures on snuff!!!
rosie.

Last edited:
Made a video on the train from Moor Street Station towards Bordesley Middleway. Stopped video after passing the Camp Hill line.

[youtube]OES-F87xEh8[/youtube]

Nice one Ell. Loved it...

Further to my post No 136 about Brownell's Hole and the old Cells, Lyn (Astoness) sent me this some time ago...about the Archaelogical dig they made to confirm it's presence...hers are some snippets and photos from the official report...

Aston Goal dig summary.jpgGoal Map 1831.jpgAston Goal Map 1888.jpgMap 1888 Lamp Deritend.jpgWhite Lion Pub  High St Deritend  1828.jpg

...more pertinent stuff...the page from Showell's follows on from the first bit in Post 136..where he calls it TARTE"S HOLE...quite so...not a good choice for a family thread...?

Dig.jpgFlyover Lamp Tavern.jpgSt Johns old map .jpgWhite Lion  High St Bordesley.jpgPrisons 2.jpg

HIGH STREET, DERITEND 1903.jpg

I posted this a long time ago but it may have been lost when the site was hacked so here it is again.

This is the most amazing photo. You just feel that you are there. I wouldn't like to try driving pigs there now.

Resurrecting this thread for a while...and moving up to some MAIN (to me) High Street pics...the last one with the 29 Bus taken just after the war, shows the remnants of camouflage on it's roof...and the girls in the upper windows apparently trying to wipe it off...and is that Carrs Lane I can see behind the bus? The sign's not in fine focus and doesn't quite match for me...

High St 1897.jpg High St 1903.jpg High St Co op Scotland Passage.jpg High St from Dale End 1903 1971.jpg High Street  Bus with camouflage top.jpg

Last edited:
Resurrecting this thread for a while...and moving up to some MAIN (to me) High Street pics...the last one with the 29 Bus taken just after the war, shows the remnants of camouflage on it's roof...and the girls in the upper windows apparently trying to wipe it off...and is that Carrs Lane I can see behind the bus? The sign's not in fine focus and doesn't quite match for me...

Hi Dennis, Ive been staring at the picture you posted of the 29 bus, for hours trying to work it out and that sign doesnt look like it says Carr's Lane to me either..
Kelly's from 1940 lists this...(working from where it says Bodega on the building in the foreground on the right side of the picture)
39 Slater and Bodega,
40 Wallis & Co,
41 Mason, George, grocer
....here is CASTLE STREET.....
42 to 45 Marks & Spencers Bazaar
46 London Fur
47 Dorothy Perkins
48 Broderick, Jas, house furnisher
.... here is CARRS LANE...
50 Allan's mantle mkrs
51 Birrell Ltd
54 & 55 Lawrence, Fredk house furnishers
56 & 57 News Theatre (Jacey Cinemas Ltd..props)
58 Red Lion P.H
.... here are Albert & New Meeting Streets, Dale End & Bull & Martineau streets

Given that I learnt somewhere along the line that perspective in old photographs is very different to that of modern photos ( and at the risk of looking a bit dumb ) could that sign possibly say Albert Street.. ??? If not as an actual street sign then maybe a pointer to a short cut to Albert Street via New Meeting Street ??

The picture is amazing by the way, its certainly not the High Street that I remember from my childhood.. it is also in a book I have about Buses.

In Tom Golding's brilliant little book "96 Years a Brummie", published in 1986, his mom says this about some old carvings she found in the back of Deritend...now I have never heard of them to this day...or seen them mentioned anywhere before, and Luca Della Robbio is a classical sculptor of immense importance...so...your mission...should you choose to accept, is...what happened to them...lorst and gorn forever?...or saved for the nation by a Brummie History buff...? And she also mentions this other fascinating snippet, about ornate Pillars in Lower Trinity Street....the chase is on...

Deritend Carvings clip Golding.jpg Deritend Ornamental Pillars clip  Golding.jpg

Back