• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

High Street Deritend Digbeth

Z

Zafar

I am most interested in hearing from anyone who is familiar with the above location. I am currently redeveloping the three victorian properties which form a substantial part of the main block where Rainbow pub is located. We are recreating old timber framed victorian shopfronts and would love to hear from any0one who has any history on this building. We need some old photos which we can display when the building re-opens as offices in a few months time.

Please email me on [email protected] if you have anything to share.

Regards
Zafar

Hi zafar
is this buildng you are trying to refer to is it directly on the corner of milk street
and could you kindly in form us as to what this new office complex is going to represent as i am intrigued to
find out what any old pictures of its history you would like to acheive by displaying them
best wishes Astonian ;;

Hi

I think you have got the wrong location. Our building is on the main High Street between Heath Mill Lane and Adderley Street. We are directly next to this old church tower, where up until recently there was an Esso Petrol Station. IT will be nice to display old pictures of what the building looked like in its original glory days.

Regards
Zafar

Hi Zafar,
Can you post a picture of the exact premises, I did a lot of Work for a firm behind the petrol station many years ago, they were called DIGBETH COACHCRAFT.
The tower is a church that never got consecrated, the guy that built it changed religion and disapeared and was never seen again.
The shop on the right of the petrol station used to be Cosi-fit upholstery, and the shop on the other side of the entry was at one time Digbeth Plastics.

Hi Zafar , i came past you project yesterday , big job , but more power to your elbow . It will help improve this very important road in Birmingham and will complement what has been done/doing at the Birds frontage and the Digbeth institute.
Have you had any photos sent to you yet ? Max

If you can get hold of a copy of a book called '96 years a brummie' sorry cant remember the author, but someon on this forum is bound to know who she was, theres probably a copy in Small Heath Library, theres a lot of descripion and memories of the area and the buildings. even mention of a lost well in Heath Mill La, behind the Crown if I remember right.

Hi Fatfingers

I havent read the book but it was written by Tom Golding and Published in 1986

Phil

Hi Fatfingers

I havent read the book but it was written by Tom Golding and Published in 1986

Phil

Pretty sure it was written by his mother, and edited by him. lost my copy years ago, its a good read, for anybody interested in small heath/greet history.

Pretty sure it was written by his mother, and edited by him. lost my copy years ago, its a good read, for anybody interested in small heath/greet history.

Fatfingers

I have mentioned this book before on this forum, I mention it again because Zafar might like to get hold of a copy to learn what life was about in Digbeth, Deritend & Bordesley when those shops were in full time operation. The book is the marvellous "Brum and Candlelight by Mary Elizabeth Shott". If you have never read it then try to find the time.

Phil

Some great pictures of Digbeth, really interesting thanks for posting..

Thanks for all the replies. I am going to track this book down now.

Dennis only the pictures on reply 10 are from me , the booki borrowed them from is Birmingham As It Was The City 1857-1914 by Joseph McKenna.
Max

Last edited by a moderator:
They are the ones. You posted one of the Black Eagle on the Meet Up site and it looks like that is from the same book. Same font, layout and style. Just the title will do, and the author if you can get it. I owe you a drink if you can...and I only live in Yardley....

Are the Black Eagle one is out of a different book , will have a look , i dont think its gone back to the library yet , and i dont drink

Oh are, the Black Eagle one is out of a different book , will have a look , i dont think its gone back to the library yet , and i dont drink:D:D:D:D

No Dennis, been accused of not drinking,just gulping.LOL . My ex mrs said i filled up from the legs first, and they was hollow !!!! Any road the book that the pic and info on the Black eagle come from is simply called Hockley its by David Harvey. Great book,fairly new,from the library. Max

No Dennis, been accused of not drinking,just gulping.LOL . My ex mrs said i filled up from the legs first, and they was hollow !!!! Any road the book that the pic and info on the Black eagle come from is simply called Hockley its by David Harvey. Great book,fairly new,from the library. Max

Cheers our kid, thanks for the info. I am a clown - I actually have that David Harvey book on Hockley, just never recognised that shot of the Black eagle. However, the pics I really wanted were in your Post No 10. Any chance I can prevail upon you for this book's title? Sorry to be a pain...the shots were of High Street and Digbeth.

Den

Its no problem Den , we have earned the honour of having "Senior Moments" i know i have loads of them .Max

Back