• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Harborne

I seem to remember the old picture in Serpentine being called The Flea pit" but I don't remember going in there. The Stumps you mention was called Albert Walk I believe and there was a pet shop there which was owned by "Graffi" otherwise known as Mr Grafton. At one time there was a large eating place on the corner which was a British Restaurant if I remember rightly and around the corner to the right was the No 11 bus stop in Harborne Road - to the left was Wimbush's and the Post office and Miss Kilby's dress shop. I left Harborne when I married over 50 years ago now but have many happy memories. Toboganning on the Hilly Fields in 1947 was great too!! I visited in November, 2011, much had changed and everywhere seemed so cramped and small; probably because there were cars parked everywhere.
Cheers KINS

ncz.jpeg
Harborne High Street looking from the vicinity of the Bingo Hall, the building on the right became Harborne Police Station, that was demolished and a large block of luxury apartments are there now. 1935.

Last edited by a moderator:
Harborne Police Station was originally built c1701 as a school. It is believed that it was built on the base of an earlier Tudor Building. Was demolished to make way for a car showroom which did not last long. Now as Stitcher says a block of apartments there now.

THE SCARLET PIMPERNEL
264850626858717.jpg

I moved to Harborne in 1940 aged 4 and lived there till 1948. I remember going into the old police station and telling them I had lost a purse containing threpence ha'penny,three and a half old pence ! I was probably about 7 or 8 and was always losing money when shopping for Mum.I went to St. Peter's school,walking there daily with friends ,about a mile and a half from Weymoor Rd,no adults even from age 5,you couldn't allow that these days,all up the Hilly Fields,a piece of undeveloped land next to the churchyard. Happy Days !

Hi Dave, The ABC "Royalty" was the centre of my young life from the age of 6 yrs, 1953, to my 15th yr 1962. I went every Saturday to the "minors" sat morn pics, dad used to take me to see such films as Shane, Trobruk, sink the Bismark, Ice cold in Alex, had my first grown up date there.
Many , Many happy memories.
Paul

aa4.jpeg
King George V & Queen Mary Coronation Day celebrations in Harborne High Street. 1911.

Ragga has recently posted this link to a YouTube video of a special train in 1959 from New Street to Harborne. Worth watching for the old Harborne station, Chad Valley and the present Harborne Walkway

Last edited by a moderator:
Lovely to see a picture of the lower end of High St. with High Street School whic I attended from 1943 to 1947. Also one of the shops on the left was Dingleys Cycle Shop. Bought many bits and pieces from him for my old bikes. I think that his shop was the first on the left. Ah happy days.

Lovely to see a picture of the lower end of High Sreeet including the scholl which I attended from 1943 to 1947. Also the first shop in the picture on the left was Dingleys Cycle Shop.

I hope that you do not mind me replying to your posting. The Old Harborne Cinema was in Serpentine Rd; it was also known as the Flea Pit. After leaving High St School in 1947 I attended George Dixon Grammer School. However my sister and two brothers attended Harborne Hill during the 50's. Does anyone recall a girl called Barbara Millington who lived alongside St. Peters Church. I would be interested in making contact again?

Memories come flooding back. I was born in Harborne in 1936 and lived opposite the swimming baths until 1960; but kept in touch with the area due to my parents being alive until 2000. Attended Station Rd Primary 1940-1943, High Street 1943-1947 and George Dixon's 1947-1952. Ah happy days, well mostly. Any one else with similar dates? Other memories are Dingley's the cycle repair shop down by High St. School and Harris's the shoe repairer in the High St. where The All Electric Garage is.

Hi Hurricanes, I also lived opposite the Swimming Baths at Harborne. 1939 I was born in Harborne. I remember Dingleys as our family used too. We lived at 27. I attended Newport House School and then Harborne Hill.

Hi Paul, the shop you mentioned was my parents shop. I lived there 1939 -1964 .Was it "posh" I do not know why. My Mum was responsible for the window displays. ( and lots of other things as well!) Anne

I hope that you do not mind me replying to your posting. The Old Harborne Cinema was in Serpentine Rd; it was also known as the Flea Pit. After leaving High St School in 1947 I attended George Dixon Grammer School. However my sister and two brothers attended Harborne Hill during the 50's. Does anyone recall a girl called Barbara Millington who lived alongside St. Peters Church. I would be interested in making contact again?
Sorry, but Barbara Millington does not ring a bell. I will ask my contacts. However as I did attend Harborne Hill from 1952 (opening day) to 1954 I would like to know your sisters names. Did they start on the opening day as well?

Re "Baughans" sweet shop opposite the Baths. Yes it was. I lived there with my parents and 4 siblings. Dad set up shop in 1929 and died in 1962. The whole terrace of shops was converted from private houses and 27, which was our shop, had been a Nursing Home according to census.91901 or 1911. The gardens ran down to the road then. Anne

LanneB;457275]Yes it was. I lived there with my parents and 4 siblings. Dad set up shop in 1929 and died in 1962. The whole terrace of shops was converted from private houses and 27, which was our shop, had been a Nursing Home according to census.91901 or 1911. The gardens ran down to the road then. Anne

I lived just off St Peter's Road near the Church from 1939 to 1961 but I don't remember a family named Millington. Incidentally, I was a very regular customer at Baughan's sweet shop - a very friendly family. KINS

Lordswood maternity hospital was closed around 1968 at the time when I joined the ambulance service.The Birmingham Maternity Hospital opened at around thet time.The building is still there located on the island on Lordswood Road it is now I believe sheltered housing

Lordswood maternity hospital was closed around 1968 at the time when I joined the ambulance service.The Birmingham Maternity Hospital opened at around thet time.The building is still there located on the island on Lordswood Road it is now I believe sheltered housing

I am guessing then that it would be Dore House.

Just came across this forum and spent a happy hour reading through. I was born in Harborne in 1939 and left in 1961. It was a great place to live. I went to High Street Junior and Station Road Secondary Modern Schools. Does anyone remember Hughes sweet shop in Vivian Road selling 'Lingo Fizz'? Bright pink powder. You licked your finger, plunged it in and let it fizz in your mouth. Often wondered who made it and if it's still about. Loved the stuff. Sorry to see the Royalty closed. Spent half my life there and in the 'Old Harborne Pictures' in Serpentine Road. Does anyone remember Peter Evans of Cadleigh Gardens. He was my pal till he went to harborne Hill School. Great times

Lordswood Medical Centre is now on the site of the Lordswood maternity hospital. Dore house is still next door and was built in the middle of 1800s by Thomas Millington who owned Harborne Mill (metal works) near Harborne Reservoir. The following is taken fro Presterne's book and the chapter about St John's church 'The Rev. Thomas Smith was the chief contributor to the cost of it. He likewise endowed it with £3,000. Simultaneously he built Lordswood House (now the medical centre) which he occupied during the whole of his residence here about eleven years.'

berylbeavis, you mention 'Presterne's book. Is this currently in print and if so what is it's full title etc? I'd never heard of Harborne Mill. Can you give any details

Tom Prsterne's book is called 'Harborne once upon a time' It was written in 1913 and is basically a walk round Harborne with a fictitious friend, though since Tom Presterne's real name was Thomas Priest, I think his friend was a real person. There are copies of the book in Harborne Library but it would be out of print. However I have recently (2011) had a book published called 'Harborne through Time' which shows Harborne in 90 old photographs with a caption and underneath in colour how it looks today-though even some of those have changed in 2years. (available bookshops/amazon). Harborne Mill was at the bottom of Harborne Park Road/ Harborne Lane/ Golden cross, on the right as you went towards Selly Oak but the Harborne side of the stream. it started life as a grain mill in 16thC but converted to a steel/wire mill later.

Back