• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Harborne

Re "Baughans" sweet shop opposite the Baths. Yes it was. I lived there with my parents and 4 siblings. Dad set up shop in 1929 and died in 1962. The whole terrace of shops was converted from private houses and 27, which was our shop, had been a Nursing Home according to census.91901 or 1911. The gardens ran down to the road then. Anne

LanneB;457275]Yes it was. I lived there with my parents and 4 siblings. Dad set up shop in 1929 and died in 1962. The whole terrace of shops was converted from private houses and 27, which was our shop, had been a Nursing Home according to census.91901 or 1911. The gardens ran down to the road then. Anne

I lived just off St Peter's Road near the Church from 1939 to 1961 but I don't remember a family named Millington. Incidentally, I was a very regular customer at Baughan's sweet shop - a very friendly family. KINS

Lordswood maternity hospital was closed around 1968 at the time when I joined the ambulance service.The Birmingham Maternity Hospital opened at around thet time.The building is still there located on the island on Lordswood Road it is now I believe sheltered housing

Lordswood maternity hospital was closed around 1968 at the time when I joined the ambulance service.The Birmingham Maternity Hospital opened at around thet time.The building is still there located on the island on Lordswood Road it is now I believe sheltered housing

I am guessing then that it would be Dore House.

Just came across this forum and spent a happy hour reading through. I was born in Harborne in 1939 and left in 1961. It was a great place to live. I went to High Street Junior and Station Road Secondary Modern Schools. Does anyone remember Hughes sweet shop in Vivian Road selling 'Lingo Fizz'? Bright pink powder. You licked your finger, plunged it in and let it fizz in your mouth. Often wondered who made it and if it's still about. Loved the stuff. Sorry to see the Royalty closed. Spent half my life there and in the 'Old Harborne Pictures' in Serpentine Road. Does anyone remember Peter Evans of Cadleigh Gardens. He was my pal till he went to harborne Hill School. Great times

Lordswood Medical Centre is now on the site of the Lordswood maternity hospital. Dore house is still next door and was built in the middle of 1800s by Thomas Millington who owned Harborne Mill (metal works) near Harborne Reservoir. The following is taken fro Presterne's book and the chapter about St John's church 'The Rev. Thomas Smith was the chief contributor to the cost of it. He likewise endowed it with £3,000. Simultaneously he built Lordswood House (now the medical centre) which he occupied during the whole of his residence here about eleven years.'

berylbeavis, you mention 'Presterne's book. Is this currently in print and if so what is it's full title etc? I'd never heard of Harborne Mill. Can you give any details

Tom Prsterne's book is called 'Harborne once upon a time' It was written in 1913 and is basically a walk round Harborne with a fictitious friend, though since Tom Presterne's real name was Thomas Priest, I think his friend was a real person. There are copies of the book in Harborne Library but it would be out of print. However I have recently (2011) had a book published called 'Harborne through Time' which shows Harborne in 90 old photographs with a caption and underneath in colour how it looks today-though even some of those have changed in 2years. (available bookshops/amazon). Harborne Mill was at the bottom of Harborne Park Road/ Harborne Lane/ Golden cross, on the right as you went towards Selly Oak but the Harborne side of the stream. it started life as a grain mill in 16thC but converted to a steel/wire mill later.

Hi everybody, I've just joined Birmingham History Forum and I'm finding it most interesting. Most fascinating to me is this section relating to Harborne.

I lived at Quinton Road from 1948 until 1973, I attended St. Peter's Junior School, 1953-1958 and Harborne Hill Secondary Modern, 1958-1962 and also worked at Bradshaws Printing Co in Vivian Road. I have been searching for a picture of the house that stood at 55 Harborne Park Road for many many years now with no luck, this is a very personal mission for me. The house was long ago demolished (circa late 80's), I know that a group of houses now stand on this site but prior to it's demolition the house that stood there was a very large one. It originally stood next to Clent house which was on the corner of Harborne Park Road and St. Peters Road opposite Vivian Road. Clent house itself was demolished in the early 50's to make way for further housing but 55 Harborne Park Road remained there for another 35 or so years.

If anyone has either a picture of this house or is aware of any information relating to it's residents from the mid 50's until it's demolition I would be very grateful if you could contact me. As mentioned this is a very personal mission I am on and any info no matter how small would be wonderful.

I have many fond and happy memories of Harborne from the time I lived there and would be more than happy to reminisce these with anyone out there.

Thanking you in advance.

aok

Hi aok: Welcome to the Forum. The Birmingham Government https://www.birmingham.gov.uk/harbornehistory
pages have some great links to Harborne and also their Local History Group. You may
be able to find some information on the house that you are looking for on Harborne Park Road and perhaps a photo if no one on the Forum has one.
The Field House care home is probably the only big old house left on that road.

The online electoral rolls show the following occupants for the years available online from 1950 (remember only those eligible to vote will be included):
1950 Dora E Wood
1952 Dora E & Edith Wood
1957 & 1962 & 1965 Albert & Florence M Freer & Dennis A Wright

The Clock Tower buildings have been renovated and re-opened, didn't have time to investigate! I'm glad all that scaffolding has gone.
rosie.

Hi, does anyone remember the cottages that where on North road in harborne they were demolished to make way for new houses?? iv search for pictures of these cottages but cant find any at all i would love someone to come up with any info/pictures iof these it`s a vague memory of thse cottages of mine

demolished cottages north road.jpg

Demolished houses North Road, now site of Old Tolken Birmingham City Council old persons sheltered housing

Hi everybody, I've just joined Birmingham History Forum and I'm finding it most interesting. Most fascinating to me is this section relating to Harborne.

I lived at Quinton Road from 1948 until 1973, I attended St. Peter's Junior School, 1953-1958 and Harborne Hill Secondary Modern, 1958-1962 and also worked at Bradshaws Printing Co in Vivian Road. I have been searching for a picture of the house that stood at 55 Harborne Park Road for many many years now with no luck, this is a very personal mission for me. The house was long ago demolished (circa late 80's), I know that a group of houses now stand on this site but prior to it's demolition the house that stood there was a very large one. It originally stood next to Clent house which was on the corner of Harborne Park Road and St. Peters Road opposite Vivian Road. Clent house itself was demolished in the early 50's to make way for further housing but 55 Harborne Park Road remained there for another 35 or so years.

If anyone has either a picture of this house or is aware of any information relating to it's residents from the mid 50's until it's demolition I would be very grateful if you could contact me. As mentioned this is a very personal mission I am on and any info no matter how small would be wonderful.

I have many fond and happy memories of Harborne from the time I lived there and would be more than happy to reminisce these with anyone out there.

Thanking you in advance.

aok

I have just noticed your post aok - I can't really help you but it brought back a memory of going to a party at a very big house in Harborne Park Road which had been divided up into bedsits where a friend of friends was living at the time. This would be around 1976 I think.

The house must have been amazing, it had a large entrance hall with a grand sweeping staircase and minstrals gallery. The gardens were massive, both front and back. I understand it was eventually demolished for flats but I don't know when and I can't remember the number of the house - sorry, not alot of help!

Hi Sheila, I've only just joined this site and was shocked and pleased to see your post of 23rd August 2010 when you mentioned your cousin Gillian Scarf and her Dad who had the grocer's shop in High Street, Harborne. My mother worked for Don Scarf for ten years and we got to know the family very well. When sorting through a suitcase which belonged to my late parents, I found quite a bit of memorabilia from those days and wondered if you or anyone else in your family would be interested in having copies - there may be things your family might not have or haven't seen before. Gill and Peter were married on my 9th birthday and I have some photos of the day together with other memorabilia, including the very sad announcement of Gill's too early death. Please get in touch if you are interested.

Hi Barbara -Nice to read your message about the Scarf family.I would be very interested to see any memorabilia you have. I lived in Harborne from1940-8 as did several branches of my family,I have researched quite a lot.I'm still in touch with Gill's husband,so,can pass on to him anything relevant which his children may be interested in. Kind Regards Sheila

Back