• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Harborne

264846843525762.jpg

200162_183216025056307_100001037338593_462595_3174516_n.jpg
HIGH ST STATION RD ON THE RIGHT BY THE GARAGE

Last edited by a moderator:
The name of the shop on the corner of Serpentine Rd and High St
was Tennants, and later it became Morgans. I used it for many years when I lived in Harborne.

The photo of the Prince's Corner shops (built c1901) dates from 1905-7. The bus is a German Dourkopp, one of four (registered O 1301-4) new to the City of Birmingham Tramways Company to run their City - Harborne route. The tramway companies' bus routes were taken over by the Birmingham and Midland Motor Omnibus Company (later known as the 'Midland Red') on 1st June 1905, including this route and bus. The livery would have been dark red and cream, and the emblem on the side is not a coat of arms but the "Wheel and Magnet" sign of the British Electric Traction Company, the overall holding group of the private tramway companies.
O 1303/4 were disposed of in 1906, and O 1301/2 in 1907.

Last edited:
Jennyann, it was quite amazing about my knitting, because in my 30's I became a professional knitter, and make a lot of things to order for a shop. I never thought about the possessions of the teachers being locked away whilst the school girls were in the house cleaning, but thinking about it now, there were no belongings around. We had to make our cookery outfit, being green gingham apron, and hat, by golly that took some blood and tears from me, it was undone more times thank I care to remember, how it survived it I don't know. Also had to make a blouse and skirt, needless to say they were never worn.

I cannot find any mention that Harborne has all ways been an area to grow superb Gooseberrys. In fact from 1880 to 1900 one resident held the world's record for the weight of one dozen gooseberrys. This weight was 16 ozs.

I cannot find any mention that Harborne has all ways been an area to grow superb Gooseberrys. In fact from 1880 to 1900 one resident held the world's record for the weight of one dozen gooseberrys. This weight was 16 ozs.

Yes apparently pre WWI Harborne was the national centre for the growing of gooseberrys

img034~0.jpg

There is no date with this picture of Harborne High Street But someone will be able to date the car.

Most vehicles which were allowed to drive during wartime in the UK, had to be painted with a white strip around their extremities, this was so that they were visible at night during the total blackout could be seen by pedestrians and other road users. I think I am correct but if not there are many on this forum who let us know.

Most vehicles which were allowed to drive during wartime in the UK, had to be painted with a white strip around their extremities, this was so that they were visible at night during the total blackout could be seen by pedestrians and other road users. I think I am correct but if not there are many on this forum who let us know.

Sounds right to me Paul. Buses had them on the edges of the front wings/mudguards at the time. Headlights had an attachment fitted to only release a very small amount of light.

I thought the city furnishing stores next door might help dating, but this is listed as J. Irvin Jones, furnishing draper for at least 1939-49 at no 178 Hogh St. Going from this shop, to the left are the coop butchers, bakers, and then the end of the Maypole dairy.
Blackout strip - white strip oncars so as it can be seen beter at night during blackout when no proper headlights.

There you are you see, I asume it is fairley safe to date it mid 40s. Thank you all, I knew it would be solved.
stitcher.

it's got the blackout strip around the car stitcher, so poss 1940's.
paul

Well spotted Paul...It also looks like a quality car,wth the rear door opening for the ease of back seat passengers.Perhaps an official car of some sort,because they have petrol.And I bet they didn't know how to filter commercial (red) petrol through a gas mask.

The strips were just white paint, certainly not reflective paint. I would agree that this picture could be dated during the war years. Also the scarcity of other vehicles tends to confirm this date.

No68.jpgThe Bank at 68.jpgHi everyone; In November 2010 I put a Post into the Forum named Harborne showing these pictures which were the premises of my ancestors. The more modern picture shows the buildings altered and made into offices. On post 394 this building is to be seen just past Tonks garage. Does anyone know when this building was demolished and rebuilt as Barclays Bank and The Open University?

I must say that I loved Harborne, from the Swimming baths, to the royalty cinema, the other little cinema next to the bus garage, woolworths on the high street and the army cadets at the bottom of war lane, I used to go there a lot as a boy, youth, one of my girl friends lived by chad valley, and I had a mate down metchley lane.
paul

I must say that I loved Harborne, from the Swimming baths, to the royalty cinema, the other little cinema next to the bus garage, woolworths on the high street and the army cadets at the bottom of war lane, I used to go there a lot as a boy, youth, one of my girl friends lived by chad valley, and I had a mate down metchley lane.
paul

The other little cinema in Serpentine Rd. was always known as "the old harborne" Paul.

Memories come flooding back. I was born in Harborne in 1936 and lived opposite the swimming baths until 1960; but kept in touch with the area due to my parents being alive until 2000. Attended Station Rd Primary 1940-1943, High Street 1943-1947 and George Dixon's 1947-1952. Ah happy days, well mostly. Any one else with similar dates? Other memories are Dingley's the cycle repair shop down by High St. School and Harris's the shoe repairer in the High St. where The All Electric Garage is.

I was also born in 1936,but in Aston where I grew up.However, My gran was moved to Haborne (slum clearance),so she rescued me from the bombing in Aston for a short time.So my association with Harborne began at that time.When I was a teenager we were moved to Bartley Green,didn't like it much and kept returning to Aston.It only lasted till the age of 17 when I went in the army.Worked for a time for Arthur Ellis in the High St.and got the sack, we were blamed for some nails finding there way into the bread at Vicars Bakery...not guilty...we were installing pyrotenax,and never used nails.
Later after living in various places we returned to live in Bartley Green,until 1968 when we left Brum for the last time.

Thanks for that Ray, the memory is a little slow now, also do you remember the little coffee bar with juke box not far from the bus stop at the top of war lane, Elizabeth Redmond did tell me the name but I have forgotten again, also my dad worked part time, W/E , at the Duke of York, and up till I was 12 I was taken to the barber shop opposite across the island.
paul

I didn't frequent coffee bars Paul,so I wouldn't remember that one,but did visit the Duke of York,perhaps your dad pulled me a pint or two in his days there.
As for the "old Harborne",I think I only went in there with a girl... for 2 bobs worth of dark on the back row.:rolleyes:

Hi Paul, was the Barbers Shop in The Stumps, as we used to call the little pedistrian walk opposite the Kings Arms?
Hurricaneplanes (Jim Harris)

I must say hurrican that I do have some memory problems, so I really cannot remember I think that the cafe was in there, the barbers shop was on the main road directly across from the DOY, it would be great ray if dad did serve you, also mom worked as a clippy from the harborne depot around the mid fifty's, and later at woolworths, dads name was "Harry"
regards paul

Back