• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Habits We've Learned

Vivienne14

Kentish Brummie Moderator
Staff member
Washing up some pots and pans the other day I realised that, before I dry them on a tea towel, I always run them over with a squeezed out dishcloth first to remove excess water. Then I realised I learnt this from my mum. Also, I don't often make tea in a teapot these days, but when I do I give it a swill around with boiling hot water. All things I learnt from my mum. Funny really how we don't give these things a second thought. Viv.

Viv, I do the same too, last night we had a presentation evening for Owens rugby team, when it came to clearing up, there were two meat trays - we had roast pork or beef baps - and I washed them and much to the amazement of the dad who was drying up, insisted on wiping them first, he then proceeded to tell everyone left at the do, the only one who didn't laugh was one of the (Brummie) grandads, who agreed with me! What a coincidence you posted this!
Sue

Here's a story on a similar theme. A lady was asked by her husband why she always cut the legs off the turkey before cooking it. She said because her mother had always done it that wsy. So she rang her mother who said she had done it because her mother had always done so. So the lady rang her gran. And Granny said "Because I never had a large enough roasting pan".

I also wipe tins on the dish cloth before the tea towel, learned from mom. BUT I think it was to avoid leaving marks on the tea towel, that is why I do it. After a lifetime of explaining this to him indoors he still does his best to forget. I also put the tins in the oven if it's still warm or the alternative is on top of the CH boiler.

Remember seeing Bernard Matthews being interviewed when he said they had managed to breed a
turkey with three legs. Someone asked if they tasted the same, he said I dont know, we never
been able to catch one! Bernard

Me too Di. Tins go into the warm oven after washing. Why waste all that warmth! Another one from mum, after ironing shirts hang them on the hanger with the collar up. Don't know why. Viv.

Blimey weren't we well taught I always wipe tins with the dish cloth and then in the oven. I was asked once if my husbands shirts were laundered no I do them taught by my Mom....

David and Bernard's comments got me thinking about food habits. I think a good habit I picked up was making sure there's time for a decent, cooked meal every day. I've always done this for my family, my mum did it for us, her mum did it for her. So it's firmly in my day to day plans. Having said that I do get hacked off with doing it at times! But it's now an in-built habit I picked up from young. Viv.

Hi keegs
nice to hear you still spit and polish your shoes; and its excactly what happends when brought up respectfully by your parents
it always shows in later life as the saying goes ; your children will reflect on the way there parents brought them up
and the added bonus on that spit and polish is ;
ladies alway judge a guy by the state of his shoes ; meaning what type you are wearing and how clean they are ; especialy the back
of your shoes ; that atracts lady,s to facy fellas keep it up mate best wishes astonian ;;

One of the things my mom taught me was to always swill my face with cold water after washing it, "to close the pores". It seems to have worked because at 74 years old I have very few wrinkles.

Hi keegs
nice to hear you still spit and polish your shoes; and its excactly what happends when brought up respectfully by your parents
it always shows in later life as the saying goes ; your children will reflect on the way there parents brought them up
and the added bonus on that spit and polish is ;
ladies alway judge a guy by the state of his shoes ; meaning what type you are wearing and how clean they are ; especialy the back
of your shoes ; that atracts lady,s to facy fellas keep it up mate best wishes astonian ;;
Thanks Astonian,Dad was regular army and always well turned out.He made sure we were too.You can imagine his reaction in the 6o's when I started to grow my hair ! (it never stopped me though ).
Regards,Keegs.

Patty, I think everyone used to put bicarb in their greens at one time - it kept the green bright. However, my aunt used to work for a doctor and he told her never to do it as it strips the Vitamin C from the vegetables.

I also wipe tins and saucepans with a dishcloth when I wash up by hand, I always thought it was so the tea towel did not get soaking wet.

me too wiping tins and pans with a dishcloth !

rather than habits - our tradition at christmas comes from my hubbies side of the family where we always save a present from the christmas morning til after tea - calling it the after tea christmas present - I'm hoping MY kids (who are now adults) will carry on the tradition when they have homes of their own etc.

Mom always put bicarb in the greens but after I met my 'now' hubby after each meal at my house he kept burping all the time and we could only put it down to the barcarb in the veggies - I have never put bicarb in veggies since we married (although I can't say it's cut down his burping!) :0).

Wasn't sure whether to mention this delicate subject earlier when bicarb was first brought up (apologies for pun), but I think it counteracts wind! I did wonder if that's why it was originally added to greens. especially cabbage. Viv.

Thanks Topsy that has bought back a memory my mother always did that. I did it as well but my sons found it fun to pick it off again. Still a good way to get little boys near soap...ha ha.

I have always done this too, however, since I have been using Dove, it won't stick. I do keep loads of bars of the stuff in a box in the airing cupboard to make it harder so it lasts longer. (This was discussed elsewhere earlier too, so won't repeat any more of it).

Yes Topsy my Mom did this with Pears and so did I for many years.

My mother always had Camay in the bathroom and Fairy soap in the kitchen. I remember she used to rub the fairy into the collars of Dads shirts before washing them.

I still rub shirt collars Wendy before puting them in the machine but I now use a Vanish stick. Same principle though.

Found this tip about leftover soap. "Save pieces of soap, tie them tightly in a piece of soft flannel, and dip in boiling water until soft. Place in cold water until firm. Remove the flannel and a good ball of soap is ready to use" Never tried it myself but looks worth a try.

Something that's always helped me in the kitchen. When cooking or baking, clear away things as you go along, don't leave it to the end. I expect this was the result of working in a tiny 1930s kitchen. If you didn't clear as you went along there was no space left to work in. Still holds good today too even with larger kitchens as it means you don't have a mountain of washing up at the end . Viv.

Viv I use the Vanish bar too...hmmm maybe we did learn from our Mom's...

I have heard of the soap tied in a flannel as well but not tried it.

When cooking baking I too clear up along the way...makes me think....

I was told that it stopped the tea towel getting black marks on it from the old town gas that left smoky marks on the pots and pans.

How many old habits do you have, either picked up from your parents or something you have done the same all your life.

Do you still put the tram lines in the lawn when mowing?
How many of you hold a pillow under your chin when putting a clean pillow case on?

Just a couple of things to start off with.

Carol

Back