• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Habits We've Learned

That made me smile Carol. Before going out of the house, I always check that all my shirt and coat buttons are done up, its a left-over from the army.

Barrie.

We are a creatures of habit arent we? Sometimes I sit on the chair with my hands underneath my legs - and I think I am copying my mom here.

I always, always check the back of my head!!!!!

Many moons ago I set of to work at Telephone House in Newhall street.
I was on the Midland Red from Sutton to town when we got to the Yenton someone tapped me on the shoulder and told me I still had my comb stuck in the back of my hair :stupid:

Oh lor was I embarrassed:redface: I was 15 at the time and I have never been a fully awake morning person :fatigue:

From that day to this I always run my hand down my hair just to check :friendly_wink:

I wonder how many people noticed my error and never told me? Maybe they were not morning people either.

I once got half way to a customer's in Preston, and realised I'd still got my slippers on.....that isn't a habit, though, that was pure brain-off.

A habit I must've inherited from my mom is that when I'm putting the cutlery away after doing the washing up, while my missus has her feet up watching the box and sipping a G&T, I always make sure that the knife blades are pointing the same way (to the right). Or is it time for the black van and nice men in white coats...?

G

Filling the kettle before you go to bed, it was one of my Dad's habits, he said he did it during the war in case the water got cut off, I still do it. He also used to get every last grain of sugar or tea out of the packets.

That made me smile Carol. Before going out of the house, I always check that all my shirt and coat buttons are done up, its a left-over from the army.

Barrie.

I too have a lot of little habits that I picked up in the army.
When taking a cup or dish from the cupboard I have to turn it over and tap it on the worktop. (Cockroaches were everywhere in Germany !)
I can't put my shoes on without upending them either.
My PIN has to be part of my army number, it's the only one I can remember !

I know what you mean Baz, I still say"NATO standard", when asked what tea I drink, and the puzzled faces when I look up!!
paul

Even though I now only use teabags, I always leave a little of the refreshing cup of tea in the bottom of the cup. This is simply down to being reared on leaf tea when you could guarantee that last sip would be full of tea leaves. Viv.

Back