• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Guildford Street Lozells

In the 1861 census William Derrington & Sarah lived at No. 3 Eden Place. Also a John Derrington & Mary Ann Derrington lived at No. 2 Eden place and that is all I have.

In the 1861 census William Derrington & Sarah lived at No. 3 Eden Place. Also a John Derrington & Mary Ann Derrington lived at No. 2 Eden place and that is all I have.

as this is a family ancestry question you need to post it under the surname interests section of the forum as this thread is specifically about guildford st

lyn

Hello everyone, my Nan and Grandad lived at 4 Sandwell Terrace Guildford St in 1923 is there a map or photos of the area please.Jim

If that is the correct spelling then I am sure that someone on the forum who lived near there will be able to help

Do you think he could be on Electoral Register for 1923 at this address , his name is Frederick Rooker.

maybe someone could check the erolls for you but i would think when verbally giving his address to the army it would have been quite easy to take sandon terrace for sandown

lyn

Rooker family listed at 4 Sandown Terrace (1925 - 1939), that's from the tanscript not the actual scan.

This is the map from 1950...

Sandown Terrace.jpg

...can't quite make it out.

Last edited:
What did Alf used to have as his signature, "It's a boring man than can only spell a word one way"? :)

Maurice :cool:

Sorry a bit late; re post #482 my family lived at 5 + 6 Eden Place a bit later, from about 1895 to about 1938 then I had friends there in the 40s and 50s. Coincidentally a family friend who lived at the top of Eden Place in the 30s moved up to near Sandown Terrace in the 40s

Re: guilford street lozells

hi lindev. im sure i know the name johnny wells. not personally but i think dad new him. michael i mentioned the name ingram to dad some weeks ago and it rang a bell. im going to see mom and dad in the morning so i will ask him what he remembers. wales.
Hi everyone my name is Paul Henry I lived at 15/ 26 guildford st
( the barracks ) I've been trying to get accepted into this forum for a long time now ( to no avail ) my family lived opposite ( ronnie ) wells not Johnny
we had a large family 7 siblings anyone remember us ? I'm sorry to hijack this conversation but as I said earlier I've been trying for ages if anyone can help me join I'd be extremely grateful
my email address is " paulshenry@ hotmail.com
thank you all

Thank you for post on the forum. I am sure someone will be more than heappy to help you.

We strongly advise members not to post their personal email addresses on the thread. Your email address and data could be harvested and used for scams, fraud and identity theft. If you wish other members to contact you, then its best if you advise them to use the “Start Conversation” facility we provide. This then protects you and your privacy.

hi paul and welcome as morturn has said it is a good idea to remove your email address from the main forum having said that you are at liberty to risk leaving it on...have you seen all the old photos on this thread of guildford st ? (it is always advisable to start reading a thread from post 1 so that you do not miss anything) there is a very good chance that number 26 maybe showing and i know for certain that i have posted a photo of numbers 2 to 12...also a good chance that one of our members mike ingram who lived down your end of st will know of your family so hopefully he will spot the post you made and reply on this thread...i was born in my nans back to back in paddington st

enjoy

lyn

Last edited:
Hi, Henryville. Ronnie Wells was Johnny’s younger brother. As he is the one you remember I guess you were younger than me. If number 15 was were I think it was I remember a girl who was a similar age to me who could have been your sister but I can’t remember her name. If you explore this thread you will find lots about Guildford Street. I lived at number 26 from birth up until my early 20s

Hi, Henryville. Ronnie Wells was Johnny’s younger brother. As he is the one you remember I guess you were younger than me. If number 15 was were I think it was I remember a girl who was a similar age to me who could have been your sister but I can’t remember her name. If you explore this thread you will find lots about Guildford Street. I lived at number 26 from birth up until my early 20s
Hi Michael
number 15 was as you walked down the barracks the first house on the right as you entered the "yard " we were /are a big family 7 siblings the eeldest being Danny who was 65 last week I'm paul 64
years old and so on
my father Jim ( RIP) unfortunately died in the toilet if that rings a bell in 1965 I do remember the name Ingram our neighbour was Mr and Mrs Croke other names in the yard were Mr Evan's mrs banks , the keens who lived next door to ronnie wells
cant remember them all
at the top of our yard into guildford st was two shops one being " ruddalls " the shop next door didn't sell much I dont think but I do remember playing darts in there with one of the boys cant recall their name
thank you for replying and I'd love to carry on remembering and sharing memories thank you again Michael

Hi Paul, my mother and I left Guildford Street around 1964 after my father had died and my brother and sisters were all married. Your house was was where I thought. It was the Keelings who lived next door to the Wells. Mrs Keeling was Pat, the daughter of the Rudhalls (the shop at number 24). The shop next door to the Rudhalls was number 26 where I lived. It hadn't been a shop since the thirties before my family moved there in the late thirties. I think it was a drapers shop.
The shop part was at the front of our house and my father used it as a workshop - he mended neighbours radios and later tellys. In the late forties My parents let the Rudhalls renovate the shop as they planned to reopen it but they did not get a licence. They did use part of it for a store room as there was a door between their shop and ours.
Jack Rudhall died around 1963 and Molly moved moved out. The door between the two shops was sealed and someone else took over.
If you played dart in our shop it would have been after we moved out. If we moved out in 1964 you would have been about 8, I was 23.
The girl I remember living in your house was perhaps from the previous tenants family. When I knew her I would have been around 10 or 11 when us kids played together in the yard. That would have included me, the girl from number 15, Johnny Wells and his cousin Duncan Bagley who live up the street at the back of number 14 (Eden Place) and Christine Trotter who live at number 16 in the Barracks.
The last time I saw number 26 was around 1968.
I was a student in London then and had been visiting my mother who lived in West Heath then. Mush of Guildford Street was demolished then including the Barracks. Number 26 and 24 (Rudhallls) stood in isolation amongst the remains of the demolished houses.
The next time I visited there was a new estate; the geography had changed and it was now Guildford Drive. Somewhere on this forum is a copy of a short story I wrote about that visit. The story tells of me finding the base of the tree which was opposite the Trotter's house which was next to the brew house, behind your house.

Hi Paul, my mother and I left Guildford Street around 1964 after my father had died and my brother and sisters were all married. Your house was was where I thought. It was the Keelings who lived next door to the Wells. Mrs Keeling was Pat, the daughter of the Rudhalls (the shop at number 24). The shop next door to the Rudhalls was number 26 where I lived. It hadn't been a shop since the thirties before my family moved there in the late thirties. I think it was a drapers shop.
The shop part was at the front of our house and my father used it as a workshop - he mended neighbours radios and later tellys. In the late forties My parents let the Rudhalls renovate the shop as they planned to reopen it but they did not get a licence. They did use part of it for a store room as there was a door between their shop and ours.
Jack Rudhall died around 1963 and Molly moved moved out. The door between the two shops was sealed and someone else took over.
If you played dart in our shop it would have been after we moved out. If we moved out in 1964 you would have been about 8, I was 23.
The girl I remember living in your house was perhaps from the previous tenants family. When I knew her I would have been around 10 or 11 when us kids played together in the yard. That would have included me, the girl from number 15, Johnny Wells and his cousin Duncan Bagley who live up the street at the back of number 14 (Eden Place) and Christine Trotter who live at number 16 in the Barracks.
I was a student in London then and had been visiting my mother who lived in West Heath then. Mush of Guildford Street was demolished then including the Barracks. Number 26 and 24 (Rudhallls) stood in isolation amongst the remains of the demolished houses.
The next time I visited there was a new estate; the geography had changed and it was now Guildford Drive. Somewhere on this forum is a copy of a short story I wrote about that visit. The story tells of me finding the base of the tree which was opposite the Trotter's house which was next to the
The next time I visited there was a new estate; the geography had changed and it was now Guildford Drive. Somewhere on this forum is a copy of a short story I wrote about that visit. The story tells of me finding the base of the tree which was opposite the Trotter's house which was next to the brew house, behind your house.

Aah yes Michael
I remember the trotters also a family at the top of the yard in guildford st call Shaw . Robert shaw was a year older than me they also moved to kingstanding we often shared a pint when we came of age lost contact with him some 25 years ago
Mr Evan's lived in the corner next to the brew house
his wife was named Micky ( maybe a nickname ) they had a nephew called Philip who I still see today
I've attached a photo of the day we left guildford st

Attachments

• IMG-20200503-WA0031.jpg
    IMG-20200503-WA0031.jpg
    81.9 KB · Views: 14
Aah yes Michael
I remember the trotters also a family at the top of the yard in guildford st call Shaw . Robert shaw was a year older than me they also moved to kingstanding we often shared a pint when we came of age lost contact with him some 25 years ago
Mr Evan's lived in the corner next to the brew house
his wife was named Micky ( maybe a nickname ) they had a nephew called Philip who I still see today
I've attached a photo of the day we left guildford st
Spoke to my mother earlier she does remember the Ingrams in fact she has a photo of Mrs Ingram standing in front of a house with a little garden
is this Mrs Ingram ?

Attachments

• IMG-20201231-WA0001.jpg
    IMG-20201231-WA0001.jpg
    63 KB · Views: 9
hi paul did you read my post no 503...just in case you missed it there are plenty of old photos of guildford st on this thread including one of the 2 shops you have mentioned which will also show the entrance to your back house

lyn

Hi Paul, I remember the Evans very well. That photo of my mom, amazing, it’s one that I took at the back of 26. My mom must have been friends with your mom. What was her name?

Back