• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Guildford Street Lozells

hi mike i have another photo of the cafe which shows its at the corner with farm st and shows quite a bit of farm st itself... but just to be certain i think a kellys look up could be useful

lyn

Last edited:
First photo - Corner or Guildford Street and Farm Street (on the left if you were looking north towards Hospital Street) opposite the corner with the pawn shop.
Second photo - the corner in question with title
Third photo - the corner go Gerrard Street
Unfortunately I can't find a photo of the other corner with Farm Street at the moment

Attachments

• guildfordStFarmst_1.jpg
    guildfordStFarmst_1.jpg
    774.1 KB · Views: 51
  • guildfordst_2.jpg
    guildfordst_2.jpg
    564.2 KB · Views: 53
  • gerrard.jpg
    gerrard.jpg
    596.6 KB · Views: 50
First photo - Corner or Guildford Street and Farm Street (on the left if you were looking north towards Hospital Street) opposite the corner with the pawn shop.
Second photo - the corner in question with title
Third photo - the corner go Gerrard Street
Unfortunately I can't find a photo of the other corner with Farm Street at the moment
I would agree with all those locations...
Dave A

On the corner of Guildford Street and Farm Street in question, as I said was a pawn shop. On Monday morning there would be a queue of women with bed sheets, etc., to pawn after the week end until pay day on Friday. They queued in Guildford Street at the Farm Street corner. I think the name of the pawnshop was Mather's. If that photo really was on the corner of Farm Street on the right of the photograph you would see the chapel which in the late 50s became a factory for Cowdrill's where they did chromium plating

mike this is the other one i have of the cafe..in 1964 it was dining rooms...shows quite a bit of farm st in this one dated 1967...metal shop fittings next door to the cafe..i think the chapel had gone by 67...the caption on the photo which missed the scan does say farm st /guildford st

lyn

farm st at guildford st.jpg

Last edited:
Puzzling, It could be the corner of Farm Street but the pawn shop has changed to a cafe with a different type of shop front. I have tried to read what is says on the upper wall but can only read bits. It seems to include 'Machines and all kinds of metal shop ????
I am still not convinced; I can't see the chapel and it does seem to slope down????
On the first photo the corner building sticks out a bit and next to it on the first floor the building has a factory look. Maybe its the corner of Clifford Street??????

Puzzling, It could be the corner of Farm Street but the pawn shop has changed to a cafe with a different type of shop front. I have tried to read what is says on the upper wall but can only read bits. It seems to include 'Machines and all kinds of metal shop ????
I am still not convinced; I can't see the chapel and it does seem to slope down????
On the first photo the corner building sticks out a bit and next to it on the first floor the building has a factory look. Maybe its the corner of Clifford Street??????
I've been trying to figure out what it says also, I think the last bit is Kings of Metal Shop Fitting

yes mike i agree the shop front like many has changed..it looks like a wooden paneling on it...when did you leave guildford st mike..

lyn

It says 'MACHINES AND ALL KINDS OF METAL SHOP FITTING'

mike give me a while as cooking dinner but after i will post a photo that should confirm the photo is on the corner of farm st and guildford

lyn

No 238 Farm St was indeed a pawnbroker from before WW1 (when it was run by a Mr Hall) till around 1960, when it was run by George Mather, but it is shown later (1964 ) as a dining Rooms (See below)

Kellys 1956 Farm St.jpgKellys 1964 Farm St.jpg

Just found my copy of the second photo with a label. It is the corner of Farm Street and is dated 1967. I left Guildford Street 1963/4 so it had changed. When I made a visit around 1969ish most of the street had been demolished. Looking again at the second photo, the bar attached to the wall by the inscription would have held the pawn brokers 3 balls

photo 1 mike which you were not sure that its taken on the corner of farm st and guildford st dated 1967...chapel has gone then you have a line of houses that front onto the pavement then a line of houses that lay back with small front gardens...photo 2 which is an earlier photo showing the chapel still standing but we can also see that the houses are the same as in photo 1..hope this helps

lyn

DSCF1038.jpgguildfordst.jpg

My thanks to all involved in resolving this query. I am amazed just how many images exist of Guildford street

thanks john i dont know why but ive always imagined the furnace lane houses to be much older..just a flight of fancy i think lol

lyn
Hi Lyn,
Following on from this I've found the following:
Guildford Street is first mentioned in a directory of 1855, it refers to 238 Farm Street (at the end of Guildford Street).
In Dix's directory of 1858 there is a listing for Guildford Place, Theresa Place, Albert Place, Trafalgar Place, Paradise Place.
The last 2 are actually on the 1889 map.
Furnace Lane is not mentioned in 1855 nor 1858 but there is an Aston Furnace Mills mentioned in 1858 (no info though).
Farm Street certainly seems to have the longest history with most of the other streets Guildford/Gerrard/Paddington etc. developing from 1858 by the looks of things.
Furnace Lane certainly deserves further inspection.

Attachments

• guildfordst-farmst-end.jpg
    guildfordst-farmst-end.jpg
    479.7 KB · Views: 19
Lyn, that image you sent me of The Alhambra PH made me realise I had another picture of it (the original title had let me to believe it was Clifford Street).

Attachments

• guildford-st22.jpg
    guildford-st22.jpg
    457.8 KB · Views: 22
I would appreciate it very much if members could look at the attached image and either confirm (if they knew this area) or comment on my logic as to location. If indeed my suggestions are correct then image #2 is in fact taken from Lennox Street and not Guildford Street, this would have been a mistake easily made by the photographer given the extent of demolition at that time.

At least 7 pictures of Guildford Street were taken 12/6/67 & 15/6/67, with several of these being unidentified back-yards.
Those which have been identified are from the Farm Street end of Guildford Street (there are few stretches where the ground is level in Guildford street), in addition the tall building in #1 appears to have factory style windows.

Attachments

• guidfordst-back-yards.jpg
    guidfordst-back-yards.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 24
john go to post 276 this is where i started reposting all the photos i have i think your missing one could be there

lyn

john go to post 276 this is where i started reposting all the photos i have i think your missing one could be there

lyn
Yes, I have all those Lyn, it could be that for the 1st. photo in the series he didn't bother putting an 'a' on the description, in which case I will already have it.

It's so easy to get things wrong (as I did in post #559) right area but looking I was looking in the wrong direction. Amazingly I found a Britain from Above image (unfortunately it only covers the bottom of Guildford Street), I now have definitive location for three of the back-yard views.

Attachments

• guildfordst-bfa-map.jpg
    guildfordst-bfa-map.jpg
    929.2 KB · Views: 39
great john...dont know how you do it

lyn
There are also 2 more images (those b & c images) that I now know where they are, they are on the very edge of the Britain from Above picture. I'm well chuffed, it was really bugging me that I couldn't locate them.

you are doing well john...i need a sat nav to find my way around the back garden :D :D :D

lyn

Close, but not close enough, John. :) Was looking for number 32 on the corner of Geach Street, but keep up the good work.

Maurice :cool:

Close, but not close enough, John. :) Was looking for number 32 on the corner of Geach Street, but keep up the good work.

Maurice :cool:
Sorry Maurice, it's amazing that there are images of most of the corners on Guildford Street but not that one. A case of those 3 words I used to get on my school reports 'could do better'.

Back