• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Guildford Street Lozells

A

aewayne

Any members from Guildford St, i lived at 17/144. Does any one recall the Farm St end of Guildford St where painted on the wall were the words GOD BLESS OUR BOYS (a tribute to our soldiers of the second world war
Albert Wayne

I lived at number 26 from 1941 until the early 60's. It was next door to Rudhall's shop. I certainly remember 'God Bless Our Boys'. I was friendly with Barbara Clark whose family lived in that terrace. There has been a picture of it published in a book recently. I think it was one of the Birmingham Mail books. Do you have any pictures of Guildford Street. I have one from the 50's which I can send if you e-mail me
Mike Ingram

hello l am trying to find pictures of guilford street back to back houses.....l lived at 133 guilford street in 1939 till 1947 my name is jean kirkpatrick father david kirkpatrick ....mother daisy kirkpatrick.
would love to have history of guilford street so share with my friends in USA.

Jeanniekirk

Welcome jeanniekirk. Hope someone comes along soon to help with your search. Meanwhile, enjoy this marvellous site. Barry.

Hi Jeannie, I'm from number 26. I am away from home at the moment on a friends laptop but will post a picture and information when I am back home

Guilford St

Hi Jeannie

This is the only photo of Guilford St I am able to put my hands on at the moment, but I will keep looking.

Phil

LozellsGuilfordSt.jpg

I like that pmc if all the terraces were like that they were nice.

guildford street

hi jeannie. i was born in paddington st just off guildford in 1953. we moved to villa st when i was five but still have memories of it. hope this will be of help to you. go to the astonbrook through aston manor site. click on the aston history home page. scroll down to were it says name downloads. click on the letter G for guildford. then just scroll down till you come to guildford st. of course you can click on any letter and look up many surrrounding streets. unfortunately there are no name downloads available for guildford st as yet. if there were you could have looked up any of your relatives who lived there in 1920. any problems get back to me. happy hunting.

thank you everyone thank you

Thank you all for your kindness to my enquiry on pics of Guilford street.
l have happy and sad memories about my old home Street.
being a war baby born 1939 July 3rd..you can well imagine.:222:

Jeanniekirk:wave:

Glad we all could help quite a few on this great Forum lived through the War years born 1936 myself:wave:

Here is a picture of Guildford Street that I took in the late 50s. It is taken from the Farm Street end. On the left is the old chapel which was then Cowdrill's factory. The poster just seen on the right is on the wall of number 24, Rudhall's shop. The first street on the right, just before the truck is Geach Street.
More on Guildford Street here:
https://www.astonbrook-through-astonmanor.co.uk/id158.htm#east_of_eden

Attachments

• guildfordst.jpg
    guildfordst.jpg
    181.7 KB · Views: 183
guildford street

hi again jeanniekirk. it may take me a few weeks but im am pretty sure that i can find you a few photos of guildford street. i get them sent to me in thumbnail print and then i choose which ones i want and order them in A4 glossy photos. if you are interested let me know and i will get the ball rolling. if we have success you can if you want send me your address via the private message link at the top of the page and i will happily post them on to you. i know what its like trying to find photos of your childhood. ive had quite a bit of success with my search but am still trying to get hold of shots of paddington street which as a said was off guildford street. what a coinsidence that we were born so very close to each other. its more than likely that my grandparents or even my mom and dad knew your family as mom and dad lived with nan and grandad untill 1958 but nan had lived in paddington street from at least 1920 until its demolision in the 60s. i will ask if they call your family surname. best wishes to you.

guildford st and paddington streeet

Hi Michael. i have noticed that you post some great photos. I was wondering if on your travels you may have taken pics of paddington street where i was born in 1953. as you probably know that was just off guildford. many thanks if you can help me.

I would love to get hold of more pictures of Guildford Street, they seem to be quite rare. This one is number 31 taken at the thurn of the last century. My great grandmother and my great aunt. The shop became a house later, certainly by the 1940s

Attachments

• shop.jpg
    shop.jpg
    392.4 KB · Views: 133
guildford and paddington street

what a great photo michael. especially as it is of your family. can u confirm this is paddington street. myself and my brother are amateur historians and are always going round taking pics of what is left of our old buildings. and may i say if it wasnt for people like you who took and kept these photos our history and memories would be gone forever. i will certainly let you know of any i find of guildford street. just as a matter of interest were you born around there. thanks again.

Frankford street

lovely picture Michael, Thank you.

Have you got any of Frankford / Frankfort Street.......Cat

hi Michael

Michael,
you must have been 3 when l was born. l think? bet we knew one another in the good ol days, l lived there in Guilford street till l was 8 years old, left to go to Kingstanding wich l hated was told by the locals to"get back where l came from"
l remember there was oil drums on our corner of guilford street and if l remember right was on corner of Clifford street and Guilford street..l remember the day l was runnning around on them oil drums and told to "get down" l didnt, l still have the scar today right on bridge my nose wonder l wasnt blinded, my dad was at the barbers shop down the road, and he did butterfly stitches along with a telling off.
hehe l remember him running up Guilford street with lather still on his face,Dad used to work at bakers in Lenox street,
Thank you for pictures l am going to share with teens at school here in USA about my life, so l will use photo,s and writings from you and wales.

Jeanniekirk.

guildford street

hi jeannie. i must be following you around. just read your last message saying you moved to kinstanding. guess where i live now. yes you guessed it. maybe we will meet u in usa soon. ha ha. be in touch soon.

wales

wales
were did do you live in kingstanding? l lived in Chingford Road.lived ther till l was 26 years old till l got married and moved to Aldrige.
then after divorce, Erdington Gravely Lane, then to Telford, now USA.
we are at the moment in a snow storm blizard. stores closed ,schools closed, roads closed, factorys closed.
we have had snow since November...Then from December lst it has snowed every day.
anyway intersed in where you live now.

Jeanniekirk:1013:

guildford st

Dennis Howell later Lord Howell the politician was born in this street and one of the books on birmingham has a photo of his mom outside her house. I have it amongst my books and will try to find it but perhaps someone will beat me to it now i have mentioned it!!

guildford strfeet

thanks kenh. that would be good if you could find it. and im sure jeanniekirk will be interested. i do remember guilford st as i was born just off there in paddington street. i am really struggling to find any photos of paddington street. but am not giving hope just yet.

guildford street

thought you may like to know that the horse and cart in the pic that pmc1947 posted outside ventnor and newport terrace belonged to a man called tom. i was talking to my dad yesterday who remembers him very well. dad used to be the local window cleaner in the 50s and 60s and cleaned most houses in the area. his name is George Harrington and lived in paddington st until 1958 when we moved to villa st. maybe someone may remember him.

sylvia

No l didnt know anyone bye that name, if l did l cant remember.
l used to go to Dulwich road shool maybe l knew them from there but l do not recall the name:(
bye the way my middle name is Sylivia:)

Back