• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Gower Street Boys School

sparks

master brummie
No idea that Gower Street school has gone. This is a picture of the class of 1946/7
More memories

Edit. Unfortunately the link/image has been lost.

Last edited by a moderator:

ragga

master brummie
Thanks Sparks ........ you likkle website called memories 1940
is a cracker , thank you .
ragga ..

lencops

gone but not forgotten
Sparks, Would you mind posting your website address?, i would like to look at it if i may Regards Len.

E

eddiegolf

Hi I am looking for photos of Gower Street School in the 1950,s. I left there in 1953 Coronation year.
Eddie

lindev

master brummie
hi topsyturvey, have u any names to go with the photo, i knew a lot of boys from gower street school about that year, also lots of cousins went there,
(lindev)

Hi lindev, from the backrow ? Kenny carter,roger foggarty,billy attenborough,brian simpson,david burgess,
middle ? Simon ward ,john donelly,keith baker,tony turvey,desmond boyle. It isn,t a very clear scan i will see if i can do another one. I will sort photos out as i have a couple

lindev

master brummie
thank you Topsyturvey, yes i knew roger foggarty i believe he lived in wheeler street, if its the correct roger im thinking about, and brian simpson rings a bell but will have to think about that one, please put more photos on if you have them we love to see them,

Astoness

TRUE BRUMMIE MODERATOR
Staff member
hi topsy...great pic..please post some more if you have them as there are quiet a few members who went to gower st school...

lyn

M

maxwell bullivant

The teacher is Wally Eyton. He was instrumental in me having to leave Gower St and go to Harry Lucas. I dont wish to say what i thought about this bloke who was feared by most. Max

Michael_Ingram

master brummie
I will post some photos that have been previously posted before by me and others, probably Astoness. The first three are Gower Street Scool

Gowerst-2.jpg

Gowerst-1.jpg

gower-street-school-1931.jpg

john mills

proper brummie kid
went to gower st 1952_1957 mr matts was head and mr eyton was also art teacher other teachers mr edwards mr evans mr phillips lads i knew are john mosedale john clarke stanley evel amongst others my name is john mills

adap2it

master brummie
went to gower st 1952_1957 mr matts was head and mr eyton was also art teacher other teachers mr edwards mr evans mr phillips lads i knew are john mosedale john clarke stanley evel amongst others my name is john mills

I went there 1951-53, after which time I went to Moseley Art School. I remember Mr Matts, also Killer Dean. My brother Jack Astley was there from too, not sure of the year, but he was a couple of years older than me, and went to Summer Lane first. He fought the cock of the school at Gower St and put him in the school clinic....remember having to put the gloves on if you wanted to fight (on the roof)

Dave A

Phil

Gone, but not forgotten.
Hi Banjo

You can only edit your post, you can't delete it, so I have deleted it for you.

jmildenhall

Brummie babby
Hi lindev, from the backrow ? Kenny carter,roger foggarty,billy attenborough,brian simpson,david burgess,
middle ? Simon ward ,john donelly,keith baker,tony turvey,desmond boyle. It isn,t a very clear scan i will see if i can do another one. I will sort photos out as i have a couple
I was at Gower Street School from 1961 to 1965 and I remember a lot of those names, unfortunately I'm not able to view your photo as my pc states there is an error.
I don't recall a Desmond Boyle but there was a Desmond Byles. My teachers I recall were :- 1B Mr. Woodward, 2A Mr. Staunton, 3A Mr. Edwards, 4B Mr. Ward.
Other Teachers I recall Mr. Cross (Science) Mr. Jones (Music) Mr. Eyton (History) Mr. Philips (5th. Year, Deputy Head I believe) Mr. Ball (Head)

Astoness

TRUE BRUMMIE MODERATOR
Staff member
hello jmildenhall and welcome to the forum...would you by any chance have lived in gerrard street or and new street..

lyn

Last edited: