• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Gower Street Boys and Girls Schools

T

Tanya

I don't know the exact details of the school - but it has written on the back 'Gower Street Standard VI 1918'. My great-uncle is on the middle row, 2nd from right.

Thank you Alf and MomaP - so pleased you liked the photos.

I see that my g-uncle wasn't in a shirt and tie - he looks as though he could have been a cheeky chappy :D x

Thank you Barry :)

And thank you too, Frothblower - of course I don't mind you having a play with the photograph. It looks brilliant now that you've taken the large crease and scratches out. I bet it's great fun editing photographs :) I don't think I would be able to sit and do that. Thanks again.

Tanya x

Thank you Barry :)

And thank you too, Frothblower - of course I don't mind you having a play with the photograph. It looks brilliant now that you've taken the large crease and scratches out. I bet it's great fun editing photographs :) I don't think I would be able to sit and do that. Thanks again.

Tanya x

Has you can see I'm no expert, but I do injoy doing it. It's relaxing.

No idea that Gower Street school has gone. This is a picture of the class of 1946/7
More memories

Edit. Unfortunately the link/image has been lost.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks Sparks ........ you likkle website called memories 1940
is a cracker , thank you .
ragga ..

Sparks, Would you mind posting your website address?, i would like to look at it if i may Regards Len.

Hi folks, I have obtained a postcard photograph of a class in 1931 - It is Gower Street Senior 2A. It came up on ebay and as no one was bidding on it I got it for £3 +

I've put it on this part of the site rather than under schools in the hope that more people will see it

I was quite pleased to get it because I immediately thought that someone on the site might recognise a relative. I then thought that these boys are aged 12 - 13 and in only eight years time they would all be eligible for call-up when war broke out. I sat looking at those faces and I am not ashamed to say that I got quite choked when I thought about that - I wonder how many of them ( if any at all ) made it through the war ?? Anyway, here is the picture and I REALLY hope that someone makes a connection - I will be more than happy to provide anyone with a nice A4 size photographic print of the picture if they want.

My brother attended Gower Street but that was much later - '54 - '57

I've included a scan of the reverse of the postcard as there's some writing on there which might conceivably have been written by the original owner of the shot.

I sincerely hope that someone out there is connected in some way, even one of the boys in the picture - its a long shot but who knows ??

Colin

wow colin....what a find...and only 3 quid...well done to you...i do hope that someone makes a connection with this....it could be one of our members rellies on it...looks like whoever it belonged to wrote down what they wanted from the shops....makes it more personel somehow...

Thank you for posting it...

Lyn

Yes, that is my sincere hope - I mean how obscure for that to come up on ebay - and the seller lives in Sittingborne in Kent !!

My dad was 14 (born July 1917), will get my sister to double check photo.

Ray

What a fine bunch! How proud they all look, despite the varied clothing they are wearing. I'm sure they all did their bit for the country when the dark times descended, it would be great to find someone from them or who knew them and could name them for us.

Thanks Lloyd for cleaning up that pic - What a difference it makes !! I notice that you do this on quite a few of the photos that people post, thankyou for that !

Colin

Back