• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Ghost signs of Birmingham

That's great Brummy Lad - hadn't thought of 'Importer'

Think Lyn's suggestion of 'Bonder' makes sense too. A bonder being a person who deposits goods in a bonded warehouse.

Viv.

Therefore the name White Horse 'Cellars' fits with this history.

Viv.

Last edited:
This is from Kieran's Midlands Pub's site link (here https://www.midlandspubs.co.uk/birmingham/constitution-hill/white-horse-cellars.htm)

"The White Horse Cellars was located on the corner of Constitution Hill and Northwood Street. Replacing an earlier White Horse, this building, dating from around 1890, is thought to be the only known public-house that was designed by the eminent architect Julius Alfred Chatwin"

Screenshot_20230822_065656_Chrome.jpg

Do we know when the earlier White Horse was built on the site (ie the one before the photo in post #1596)? It was there in 1878 according to the Midland Pubs newspaper extract in post #1595. That extract says it had been there for many years before. Viv.

Do we know when the earlier White Horse was built on the site (ie the one before the photo in post #1596)? It was there in 1878 according to the Midland Pubs newspaper extract in post #1595. That extract says it had been there for many years before. Viv.
viv according to west midland pubs the first recorded landlord was in 1839

Oh yes I see Lyn, my screen only opened up on the first two columns of Kieran's site ! Thanks.

So we're getting quite a way back now. Viv.

I'd say J Houghton left this building a long time ago. Not only has the name been revealed above the shop window on the Ninevah Road side, but there was once advertising above the windows on the Grasmere Road side too. Looks in a very sad state today. Viv.

Screenshot_20230822_183724_Maps.jpgScreenshot_20230822_183711_Maps.jpg

I'd say J Houghton left this building a long time ago. Not only has the name been revealed above the shop window on the Ninevah Road side, but there was once advertising above the windows on the Grasmere Road side too. Looks in a very sad state today. Viv.

View attachment 183474View attachment 183473
Great ghost image. 89 Nineveh Road listed in Kelly's 1955 as J. Houghton Ltd. (radio dealers)

Here is a "future" Ghost sign on Wellington road Handsworth, the old "Hirons nursery" land has been sold and new housing is being built. Hirons were trading for 70 years and closed in 2022 after the two brothers retired.

Attachments

• wellington road.pdf
    332.4 KB · Views: 14
I wonder what they might find when excavations begin on this land as the first Aston Villa football ground was on this spot ( I think )
yes the football ground was more or less near to hirons moss...but also on hiron land at the back was a roman kiln which i believe is no longer there...well i could not find it a few years back..however there was a archaeological dig some time ago reporting the findings...i have that report somewhere must find it and take another look at it...i very much doubt it but maybe before they build on the land another dig may happen..

lyn

Lyn,

If you find the report, perhaps you should send a copy to the city planning office. I don't know if they still have an archaeologist in the planning department checking these things or perhaps that is a job that has gone.

The reports on the planning site seem more comcerned with any unexploded bombs they might find and other contamination than any historcal significance. That said there are 3 long reports to wade through and I might have missed something.

reports are here

ref number 2023/00594/PA

I have a pdf of the report, but it is 2 mb, so cannot post it here.
mike i dont think it would be any good passing it onto the planning dept as a they have already gone over the roman kiln ground..having said that who knows what may turn up when building starts..

I agree Lyn. Was just posting that in case you could not find your copy and anyone wanted to view it

Back