• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Oldest Public House in Hockley

LucyJayne

knowlegable brummie
Hi Everyone,
Just wondered if anyone could tell me what the oldest pub in Hockley is?? Any ideas?

Thanks
Lucy )

hi lucy..would have to do some research but i think the jewellers arms in the jewellery quarter would be a contender..sure i heard it was built in the early 1800s or a bit earlier than that..

lyn

jane this one may just pip the jewellers but without seeing the deeds we cant be sure....the red lion at warstone lane c 1832..

lyn

Hi Lucy, According to the book Time Please by Andrew Maxam, The original LORD CLIFDEN was built in the early 1800s.
Maybe a member with access to trade directories from this time may be able to date it more accurately. Moss

Attachments

• IMG_0003.jpg
    IMG_0003.jpg
    301.6 KB · Views: 63
hi mossy
nice to hear from you and hope you are well ;and thanks for the picture my mother used to go with her parents in the early 1900s
when she was a small child to the lord clifton and told me of the partys there with the management this was in the very early 1900s
so it was great to see an orinional picture and with the stained glass windows all in tact ;
so it was built before the jewers arms as i thought but i did not want to shoot any body down as i was not to sure i had to try and recall
the jewlers arms as its been years that i was in the hockley pubs as to where it was ;
mossy ; or guys ; what is the pub at the top of warstone lane directly facing the clock there its a big pub;right on the corner by the clock alot of police from keyon police station used to drink in there inspector bauber later became chiefe constable and enie robinson ;
best wishe4s astonian;

Moss
There is a beer retailer listed at 34 Gt Hampton St in 1855, but none in 1849 or 1845 so presumably that was when the first Lord Clifden went into business

Maybe Mike can throw some light on when The White Horse Cellars was first opened as a pub.

Attachments

• IMG_0001.jpg
    IMG_0001.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 49
The earliest directory mentions i can find are in Pigots 1829 and Wrightson's 1829 directories, though the latter does not list the name of the establishment. At this time it is 80 Constitution Hill. The victualers database lists it as Barnard wilkes (also there in the 1829) as being at the pub in 1825-1827, so I guess that it first became a pub in 1825

thanks mike although i dont think that is the original pub...im also not too sure about the caption to the pic moss posted saying that its a james and lister lea rebuild....its nothing like the lister lea pubs i have seen...ie the bartons arms..the gunmakers gerrard st..red lion soho road..the anchor bradford st...they all have a very distinct design and red brick colour..james and lister lea built the majority of their pubs very late 1800s early 1900s...

lyn

Last edited:
thanks happy guy ive had a good google walk round the pub and into northwood st and it just does not look like a typical james and lister lea building.....when ive got time i will try and find out some more info on it..

lyn

thanks mike although i dont think that is the original pub...im also not too sure about the caption to the pic moss posted saying that its a james and lister lea rebuild....its nothing like the lister lea pubs i have seen...ie the bartons arms..the gunmakers gerrard st..red lion soho road..the anchor bradford st...they all have a very distinct design and red brick colour..james and lister lea built the majority of their pubs very late 1800s early 1900s...

lyn
I think it is not a good idea to assume that all pubs designed by the Lea brothers were all terracotta, as shown by this photo of The Old Fox on Hurst St. Shown is comparison pubs

Attachments

• Fox Hurst St.jpg
    Fox Hurst St.jpg
    393.3 KB · Views: 22
  • The Old Fox.jpg
    The Old Fox.jpg
    287.6 KB · Views: 20
i agree happy guy the caption that comes with the photo of the white horse could well be true... but its not just the lack of terracota on the white horse cellars pub its the shape of it..very normal and nothing to shout about... i didnt know that the fox was also a james and lister lea pub so thanks for that info..cant remember what colour it was when i used it in the early 70s but im sure it wasnt white..

thanks for the pics....

lyn

Hi there, can anyone help please? What was the name of the pub (which closed in the 1950's I think) which is now the Hylton Cafe on the corner of Hylton and Vyse Streets in the Jewellery Quarter. Many thanks

Hi Brian. The premises you refer to at 2 Hylton St has not been a public house since at least the first third of the 20th century. Then it was only a beer house and it was never named in any Kelly's Directory that I have. As far as I am aware the oldest pub in the Jewellery Quarter (I don't know about Hockley) is the Jewellers Arms. You might find the name of the beer house at 2 Hylton St in the census records.

Hi Mike I have just come across this reply of yours while searching my ancestor who was listed in 1833 Wrightson Triennial Directory of Birmingham as: Vict. 120 Great Hampton Street. His Name was Joseph Patrick. In 1841 census his wife Mary is listed as an Inn Keeper in Great Hampton Street. Do you happen to know what the difference is between an Inn Keeper and a Licenced Victualler? And another cheeky question, any idea's on the name of the premises they may have kept?

As I understand it, an innkeeper is a person who holds a licence to keep an inn, which usually also provided accomodation and food jf required. It had a full licence to sell beer, wines and spirits. A licensed victualler had a licence to sell some form of alcohol, but this could be just a beer licence (ie it was a beerhouse, often very small , possibly a converted terrace house) . I am not sure, but believe may also include those with an off licence to sell alcohol for consumption only off the premises. thus an innkeeper could be described as a licensed victualler, but not necessarily vice versa.
Pigot's 1841 and the Post Office 1845 directories both list Joseph Patrick as being the landlord of the Commercial Inn, 120 Gt Hampton St. It was not uncommon in censuses for the male incumbent of a pub to have another profession while holding the licence of the pub. Indeed it was probably a necessity for smaller pubs and beerhouses. In these cases the husband sometime put his profession down as , say, jeweller, butcher, etc, while the wife, who did all the work in the pub put down publican, though this did not always occur. Probably depended on how honest they were as to the division of labour.

Looking at the map of Gt Hampton St c 1889 , no 120 is then called The Bodega. It possibly was not as big when known as the Commercial Inn, but that is its position , shown in red on the map, almost opposite the junction to Harford St

map_c_1889_showing_The_Bodega2C_earlier_the_Commercial_Inn.jpg

Hi mike
What year was the lord Clifton opened in hockley that's been there for donkeys years my mother used to go there with her parents when she was a kid
She was born in 1926 surely that must have a rating from the 1800 s
Many thanks Alan, astonian,,,,

Hi Alan
In post 8 it says that the clifden was opned in the early 1800s. Not sure exactly when though. It was there in 1845, but can't go much earlier as directories are not very comprehensive before then

Hi mike
Many thanks I thought it might have been thou because my mother told me of there family of the jelfs
And the perks and her grand parents apparently spent a lot of time there with billy cotton and wee Georgie would whom apparently
Was all connected to the thwarted and used to travel abroad with these guys quite often
My youngest sister as all these pics of them all together on the gongalers in Venice and others taken all running together
Arm in arms along on different beaches her mother and her mothers sister was in the theaters as stage dancers
Whom also rana dance school down in nechells
Onnechells park red her named was a perks dancing stage teachers school of dancing
And they spent many many hours at the lord Clifton partying it until the early hours
And giving the age all born in the 1800, that being her grand fathers and her mothers family the perks
I would most definitely say the lord Clifton as to be one of the oldest pubs in Shockley, do you not think so,
Have a nice day mike and thanks for replying Alan,,, Astonian,,,,

Hi Mike, once again I have to thank you for your excellent knowledge and quick response. He was recorded in later census as a steel button maker so that would explain why his wife was later described as an Inn Keeper. Thanks for the information and supplying a copy of the map. Brilliant!

Back