• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Ghost signs of Birmingham

It's not too clear, but is a ghost sign on this building on Woodbridge Road in Moseley (on the far right)

Half of it is visible in this photo of Moseley Police Station (on the left).

I was wondering if you would take that. Saw from the bus this morning and then earlier this evening. Maybe the Pavilions used to be called Pavilion Central?

I think the position is wrong for it to have been Central Midlands Co-op. I am not sure if there is enough space for Pavilion Central but that does seem the most likely.

Looking from the bus this morning, all the letters saying Pavilions Central had been taken down.

This sign was inside the Pavilions back in 2010

Hi Ellbrown
the one you showed in brierely street of the Tee novelaties was also fancy goods
and that the frontage was on summer lane
My uncle bill worked there part time as he was the care taker of the church in lodge road
to make his wages up , he was really a labourer at that company ,
but the manageing director asked uncle bill would he come to his house in sutton coldfield at week ends and
Do his Lawns and maintain his big gardens for him all the year around and he said yes
Uncle Bill got redundnce from Avery scales way back then, and thats where he found the part time work
At the warehouse then took on the gaffers garding until our auty maud died in king standing home
best wishes Astonian,,,,

well Lynn you are now asking, we are going back some years i will have to asked my cousin
he was there father ;my cousin his peter smart and he was one time butcher up your way as the manager
and i will try and work out when aunty maud was alive as he was working there then that i do know
but i have another cousin whom worked across the road from that building
His premises are oppersite that building he run his own electric cables company facing that building
brian phelps electric company been there for donkeys years , alan,,

At least seventy years Lyn. The GWR became British Railways in January 1948.
I like the 'hand' pointing the direction, it was such a feature on the railways once.

the ghosts signs are still around if you look for them...

no 10 hack street....complete with maybe a modern day sign...billy loves julie...i wonder if he still does lol

Attachments

• DIGBETH AREA 2017 003.JPG
    DIGBETH AREA 2017 003.JPG
    427.2 KB · Views: 28
  • DIGBETH AREA 2017 004.JPG
    DIGBETH AREA 2017 004.JPG
    419.9 KB · Views: 27
  • DIGBETH AREA 2017 005.JPG
    DIGBETH AREA 2017 005.JPG
    84.1 KB · Views: 27
Mikejee gave us the address for this one in post #372/373. Viv.

"180 is Harold Edward Peace, sheet metal worker. From 1961-73 (when the last Kellys was produced) it is H.E.Peace (Deritend) Ltd, dust extraction plant"

understandable froth...with 652 posts made over 5 years we cant remember them all..actually i just clicked on post 1 and the poster mentions the ghost signs i posted in hack st although he didnt post any pics:D

Think it's a good idea to repeat a mention of these signs as it reminds people they are around, where they are and the condition of them. Eventually many will fade or be covered over again, so let's keep an eye on them. Thanks all for regular postings. And PLEASE keep em coming! Viv.

Hi Frothy. I was reading somewhere that there are 5 or 6 of your Berber tea signs around Brum (re. your post #16). From memory I think we've identified 2 on here. So keep those eyes peeled. everyone. Viv.

and im sure there was one on aston lane but i cant find it on street view..bet its been painted out

This one slightly out a bit, in the Hamlet of Little Hay Sutton Coldfield, side of a house, on a quiet lane 18th February 2017 Saturday 0051.jpg

Back