• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Geach Street

It was the Guildford Arms. Bennett's Business Directory for Warwickshire, 1914 list two Guildford Arms. One in Farm Street and one in Guildford Street. I bet the landlords were good friends

Michael
Unusual to have two identically named pubs so close (not even one"The Old" and the other "the new." I notice that in the 1901 census both are listed by (the same) name. Th 1881 and 1891 censuses don't name the Hospital st one, but the directories do. so its not a matter of one pub taking over the others name for some reason, and having two with the saem name for a short period of time (as occurred with the Bell in Northfield more recently)

how unusual to have 2 pubs of the same name so close....i shall ask our dad if he has any recollection of the guildford st one as he started courting our mom during the war...she was also born in paddington st

lyn

Last edited:
hello lyn
great photos of geach street.would love to see the womens face walking down the street with the two kids.. the photo with the lad in side the door way was overtons the betting shop.we lived next door to mrs carrol. any one remember chicks the shop up the street.across the road from our house was lawlers the lampshade factory'.
happy days. good memmories

morning billy...they really are wonderful photos...i have the same problem with a pic of a woman and child standing at the no 8 bus stop in nursery road...im totally convinced its our mom and brother mark at about 4 years old...as you say...happy days...

lyn

That's right Billyboy, I remember taking bets to the bookies up the entry in the photo in post #31, for my brother in law

I als had a friend who lived in one of the houses by that lovely wall, her name was Julia Lutwytche who also went to Lozells School. Also remember Susan Toon whos Mom sold Toffee apples.Loved the ones dipped in coconut for a bit extra.When we lived in Paddington St i think our Mom used to clean The Guilford Arms for a while i was only about 6 at the time and she sometimes had to take me with her, and The Birmingham Arms in Farm St. I wish she was here now to ask her, She would have loved all these memories.I also vaguely remember a lady called mrs Baker who used to have a lot of Brass ornaments in her house, I think that was Guilford St not sure though as i was only 7/8 when we moved from Paddington St up to Clifford St.

There was a girl that lived at the end of that terrace, topsy. She was tallish and quite quiet. She used to walk down the street from school very slowly. I think she lived with just her father. That wasn't her by any chance?

Michael, She was a bit shy, blond hair but i think she also had a sister.She would be about 60/ 61 now, one of her friends was Mary Tilt from Wheeler St.

Not the one Topsy, the one I was thinking of would be in her seventies now. Your friend would have been too young for me to have noticed then; maybe not now though.

Last edited:
how lovely to read all the storys about geach street, i had a aunty and uncle that lived in geach street,floyd family, i remember going to visit,but some times would sit out side the geach pub in my dads van selling things like fruit / veg, or all sorts of things happy memories,

what great memories are coming from this thread...brilliant stuff...welcome to the forum pamela and please dont forget if you have any photos of geach or the surrounding streets we would love to see them....

lyn....

Hi Billyboy.Im Pam's sister Irene our uncle's name was SID FLOYD.What is your surname?I was telling my cousin Pauline about this she was very interested.Great memories.

hello irene
my name is billy regan. we lived in geach in the fifties and earley sixties. our mom and dad knew your uncle sid. do you know my sister cathy regan.

Hi Billy.I don't know your sister as we only visited my aunt and uncle in Geach St.But i asked my cousin Pauline and she said the name rings a bell.Pauline remembers the CARROLLS WHO HAD A DAUGHTER SUSAN,McAVOYS AND JEANIE,PAULINE,MAUREEN,HARRY THE GURRDANS FAMILY.Can you ask Cathy if she remembers PAULINE FLOYD.THANK'S IRENE

Hi there Michael,I stumbled on to this site and couldn,t wait to get on.I was born and raised in Denmark Street along with my three sisters Betty, Brenda and Pat. We all attended Cowper Street school when Mr Powell was the head teacher there.We were all sent to Sunshine corner Sunday school. My sisters went to Lozells Girls school while I got through the 11+ and went to Handsworth Grammar School,which brings me to a question --Did you go there too.I have a school picture taken in 1957 just before I left and I think I,m standing next to you.I was in class 5a when I left for an apprenticeship at AEI Birlec on the Tyburn road and then to Aldridge. In 1964 I was married and emigrated to Canada in April of that year and have been here ever since,with a few visits to see my family still in the Old country. It,s amazing how the old place has changed.In fact I was watching T.V. just the other day and saw the two towers on Six Ways being blown up.I mention this because when we moved from Denmark St we went to Johnstone Street just at the end of Chain Walk and Birchfield Road. Love all the pictures on here,as I say I,m still finding my way around the site.

ps to my instant message Bob. If that is me in the photo then I should be wearing a black and white check shirt (not regulation uniform)

Michael, It is you in the picture ,black and white checked shirt and all.They say that schooldays are the happiest days of your life,well mine were great and I enjoyed every one of them.I,ll now have to see a friend of mine to see if I can get the picture on here ,after all, I spent a lifetime in engineering building nuclear power stations here in Canada and don.t know my way around a computer too well.

hello bob and a warm welcome to the forum...how lovely that you have an old school photo with yourself and michael in it and yes please it would be great if you could post it for us... dont worry about finding your way round a computer...it took me months to post a pic lol...

lyn

Mike, My friend took a few photos of my school picture and e-mailed them to me.It will be a while till I figure out how to post them on the geach street thread,so I forwarded the e-mail to your address ,so that you could see them and maybe do the honours of putting them on the thread.Hope you dont mind. cheers Bob

popped down the old end today and took this pic from more or less in the same spot as the one john posted...looking towards guildford st...changed a bit...

lyn

Back