• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Geach Street

Hi. My grandoarents fredcand may green also myvfather donald green lived in the vine ( beerhouse) during theclate20 until 1939. Mr william t margetts also moved to perry barcto live with my grandparents and dad in perry barr. I was told that william was my grandfathers uncle, however. Although i have searched various records i cant find a family recorddvof this being the the case.... Any help would be much appricated

hi debbie i take it you mean the vine pub....was there one in geach st then as the only one i know of was in summer lane just off geach street?

lyn

There was a pub on the corner of Guildford Street and Geach Street. I did know the name but I am sorry I can't remember what it was. I only knew it as a bombed building (bombed during WW2) where me and my friends would explore; climbing across the beams in the remains of the first floor was fun

hi mike there was also an outdoor on the corner of geach and rodway st ...

lyn

Last edited:
The demolished building in the right photo was a pub bombed in the war. 32 I think was on the other corner but not seen in the left photo. I don’t remember ever seeing a photo. As I remember looking at that corner it ended thar row of houses on the Geach Street corner, then there was a garden wall down to the back of the houses in the Guildford Street Barracks courtyard and then the Toons house in Geach Street

The demolished building in the right photo was a pub bombed in the war. 32 I think was on the other corner but not seen in the left photo. I don’t remember ever seeing a photo. As I remember looking at that corner it ended thar row of houses on the Geach Street corner, then there was a garden wall down to the back of the houses in the Guildford Street Barracks courtyard and then the Toons house in Geach Street
think there is a photo mike on the guildford st thread of that pub/outdoor but only from memory i think it was on the opposite corner to where you think it was...i will try and find it as its been some years since i looked at it so dont quote me

lyn

Last edited:
Lyn,

Michael is correct and the address is 32 Guildford Street, but it's on the opposite corner to that bombsite. 28 & 30 are on one of the pictures on the Guildford Street thread, but 32 would be somewhere in the margin! :)

As John (brummie-lad) had just added the Guildford Street pics to his Leroux site I thought I'd check the lot, but alas, not yet. It's not desperate, as one of my great Uncle Gal's (Garibaldi Sedgwick) relations that had the place. I knew him, because he was always sweet on my widowed grandmother, having been married to her sister until her death. But she was profoundly deaf and just wanted him as a friend, and he was the perfect attentive gentleman that would never "try anything on", as we used to put it.

His family were all curriers and told me the stories of the hides they brought in from freshly killed cattle, put them in barrels of water to soak, and then some days later, got them out and scraped them with sharp knives to remove any remnants of flesh before proceeding with the rest of the process. He said that the smell was repulsive and even when the barrels were frozen over with ice, it still had to be done after the ice was removed. Uncle Gal decided that it wasn't the life for him and he went into the gun trade. He retired after the war having had workshop in both the renowned Weaman Street and in Sutton Street. Apologies for wandering a bit off topic.

Maurice :cool:

john ive got this one if its any good to you not very good though..taken corner of geach and guildford st so no 32 guildford is the end house on the right

lyn

geach%20st%20from%20guildford%20st.jpg

Sorry Lyn not sure what you meant by saying it was on the opposite corner - the left and right I was used was referring to the photos not the street. But fantastic that photo is 32 and it is exactly as I described.
The Philips family lived at number 32 in the 40s and 50s
That tree is significant. Somewhere on this site is a short story by me and probably another post telling of a visit when Guildford Drive, etc., was built. How I found a built playground with a tree stump there surrounded by a brick structure. There had been an attempt to burn the tree stump and I took a fragment home with me which I still have. That is the tree.
Where the back wall of the houses (in the Barracks) is in Geach Street we played cricket across the road.
Opposite there is where the milk company stored its horse carts

john ive got this one if its any good to you not very good though..taken corner of geach and guildford st so no 32 guildford is the end house on the right

lyn

View attachment 154621
Brilliant Lyn, I knew if anybody would find a pic it would be you. So Maurice now has views of No. 32 from 2 directions, sadly not a full frontal view but good nevertheless. I will add these to the map when I next update it.

Attachments

• geach-st3.jpg
    geach-st3.jpg
    272.6 KB · Views: 34
  • geach-st2.jpg
    geach-st2.jpg
    327.9 KB · Views: 35
Geachst7.jpg
Hi Lyn, when you get a chance could you see if you have a copy of this without the watermark, thank-you.

Life looked quieter and uncluttered then even if the bin man had to trail through the front room with the waste.

My late Father was the Licensee of the Geach Arms during the early 30s. His wife died there, suddenly, aged 37, in 1934.

My late Father was the Licensee of the Geach Arms during the early 30s. His wife died there, suddenly, aged 37, in 1934.
hi bosca chances are my nan would have known them as the geach was her local for many years

lyn

Hello all, I've really enjoyed looking through all of the photographs, thank you so much for sharing. My Dad and his family lived at 1/13 Geach Street in the early 1950s (am not sure how long they stayed there). Does anyone have any pictures that might include that house? My Dad's parents were Winifred and Robert Cox, and my Dad was Paul, and his sister was Yvonne. Many thanks again all.

Hi JSL12,

Post #169 shows house numbers for Geach Street, the photo attached would have No. 13 on it (behind lorry, dust-cart?) but I have no photos of 1/13 unfortunately.

Attachments

• geach-st7.jpg
    geach-st7.jpg
    466.9 KB · Views: 17
Back