• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Geach Street

To the left of the houses in the photos is where a dairy kept its horsecarts. Its dead opposite the backs of the Barrack houses that Vivienne14 asked about in post #3. It was a local dairy I think was called Holt's. Can anyone confirm that.
On the other side of the sheds, on the corner of Geach Street and Guildfrod Street there was a bombed pub that we used to play in. Does anyone know the name of the pub?

thanks lynne..i have this notion that on the opposite side of the street to where our nans house was they built some sort of low annexe school...i really have the urge to go and have a good look round now...

Guildford Drive replaced the bottom end of Guildford Street down by Farm Street in the late 60s after the slum clearance, Lynne

To the left of the houses in the photos is where a dairy kept its horsecarts. Its dead opposite the backs of the Barrack houses that Vivienne14 asked about in post #3. It was a local dairy I think was called Holt's. Can anyone confirm that.
On the other side of the sheds, on the corner of Geach Street and Guildfrod Street there was a bombed pub that we used to play in. Does anyone know the name of the pub?

thats interesting about the bombed out pub mike...i think a kellys look up should give us the name of it...

thanks mike...as paddington st finished at porchester st where the crocodile works was i think if i take a trip down there i should be able to pinpoint it...well hopefully...

Here is the other bit Lyn. You can see that if you follow the line through Berry Close towards Porchester Street you can see it goes through the nursery, the school that you mentioned earlier

Last edited:
Nos 34-36 guildford St, which seems to be the building on the corner of Geach St is listed as a beer retailer up to 1921, but is not listed al all from 1932 onwards. I can't find a pub name listed in the directories or electoral rolls, but its absence after 932 would seem to indicate that, while it amy have been a pub once, it had stopped that use before 1932
Mike

thanks for the second google mike...the nursery looks to be too far down from how i remembered it...our nans house was 4/12 so not far from the corner of guildford...the low annexe building i recall was only just diagonally accross from nans house but there again everything looks different when we are young...i will soon know if its the same building when see it but thanks for pointing me in the right direction...

lyn

Its on the 1911 census but only the address is given. In 1901 it is listed as the Guildford Arms which is strange as the in the 40s to 60s the pub on the corner of Hospital Street opposite Guildford Street, was the Guildford Arms. That was a couple of hundred yards from the pub in question.

mike ive got a pic of the guildford arms dated 1967....corner of farm st but it does not say the name of the other street..

The Guildford Arms at the corner of Hospital Street and Farm Street. Hospital Street is opposite Guildford Street

Looking directly from the end of Geach Street, numbers 41 and 43 Guildford Street. I took this for granted when I was a lad and so have no idea who painted it. Now I am astonished.
The Clarkes lived at number 43. I was very friendly with the daughter Barbara for too short a time. She went to Lozells Street School with her cousin Valerie Hale. They would have left about 1958 some some of you girls may have known them

Looking directly from the end of Geach Street, numbers 41 and 43 Guildford Street. I took this for granted when I was a lad and so have no idea who painted it. Now I am astonished.
The Clarkes lived at number 43. I was very friendly with the daughter Barbara for too short a time. She went to Lozells Street School with her cousin Valerie Hale. They would have left about 1958 some some of you girls may have known them

what amazing sentiments mike..ive often looked at that pic myself...

No, I've got the van not the wagon. I'm confused; by the wagon and the lamppost would be about number 38; the evens are on the right, looking at the picture, and the odds on the left. Number 13 was by the van on the far left?
I lived at number 26 by the first lamppost on the right, next door to Rudhall's grocers shop

john
were the wagon is parked .by the lamp post that is were we lived number 13. happy days

hi billy...i had forgotton that you once lived in geach street...strange that we lived only one street apart then and two streets apart when we moved...

lyn

i love that pic mike..i can just make out the little outdoor on the corner of paddington and guildford although i do have a closer shot of it....

Michael
The pub on the corner was named as the Guildford Arms on the 1891 census also. On the 1881 census both 35 and 36 are separate, and seem to be just houses.
Mike

A puzzle; I can't remember it from the front although I must have past it a million times. There was a row of houses next to it and then another bomb peck. I remember it from the side and back; playing and climbing over the rubble, exploring inside and balancing across the floor beams upstairs.

Back