• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Furnace lane..

View attachment 87045happy to help in any way marg...i am finding this so interesting and just goes to show that although i was bought up around the area i had no idea that the house existed...here is another pic of the beginning of furnace lane from gower st...quite a few members on the forum remember that cafe..

Hi Lyn, I think that was called Ted's Cafe when I went to Gower St. They used to have frozen lollipops that sometimes had Ted's Cafe stamped on the stick. If you were lucky enough to lick your way to a winner, you got a free one!

Dave

thanks dave i bet everyone wanted a free lolly....by the way unless you have already seen them there are more photos of gower st on the gower st thread...

lyn

hi folks hoping to have some new photos of furnace lane to post next week....

lyn

hi folks well this is just another of those special moments for me...i really did not expect to find anymore photos of furnace lane but i have...i have always had a great interest in furnace lane not least as it was named after the aston furnace 1615 which still lies pretty well intact underneath what is called the yellow park play area near between clifford and porchester st...as posted some years ago i did approach time team to ask if they would consider aston furnace as one of their projects...no good im afraid and even now it gets to me thinking of the history that lies there and we cant get at it lol...anyhow i will be posting these new photos shortly...hope marg fry spots this as she actually lived in the lane...

lyn

Last edited:
here we go then folks...furnace lane started at gower st crossing gerrard st and clifford st ending up in porchester st..some of the photos give the where from and to the others do not but maybe some members may know...

Attachments

• SPR HILL.FURN LNE..VENT RD 010.jpg
    SPR HILL.FURN LNE..VENT RD 010.jpg
    288.5 KB · Views: 94
  • SPR HILL.FURN LNE..VENT RD 011.jpg
    SPR HILL.FURN LNE..VENT RD 011.jpg
    359.5 KB · Views: 89
  • SPR HILL.FURN LNE..VENT RD 012.jpg
    SPR HILL.FURN LNE..VENT RD 012.jpg
    234.3 KB · Views: 90
  • SPR HILL.FURN LNE..VENT RD 013.jpg
    SPR HILL.FURN LNE..VENT RD 013.jpg
    198.5 KB · Views: 85
next 4

pic 4 from gerrard st to gower st dated.4.3.1968

Attachments

• SPR HILL.FURN LNE..VENT RD 014.jpg
    SPR HILL.FURN LNE..VENT RD 014.jpg
    208.7 KB · Views: 86
  • SPR HILL.FURN LNE..VENT RD 015.jpg
    SPR HILL.FURN LNE..VENT RD 015.jpg
    198.5 KB · Views: 88
  • SPR HILL.FURN LNE..VENT RD 016.jpg
    SPR HILL.FURN LNE..VENT RD 016.jpg
    226.8 KB · Views: 88
  • SPR HILL.FURN LNE..VENT RD 017.jpg
    SPR HILL.FURN LNE..VENT RD 017.jpg
    226 KB · Views: 86
last 2 folks...

pic 1 from gerrard st dated..4.3.1968
pic 2 from gower st to gerrard st dated..11.3.1968

Attachments

• SPR HILL.FURN LNE..VENT RD 018.jpg
    SPR HILL.FURN LNE..VENT RD 018.jpg
    193.6 KB · Views: 107
  • SPR HILL.FURN LNE..VENT RD 019.jpg
    SPR HILL.FURN LNE..VENT RD 019.jpg
    200 KB · Views: 96
here we go then folks...furnace lane started at gower st crossing gerrard st and clifford st ending up in porchester st..some of the photos give the where from and to the others do not but maybe some members may know...

Great shots Lyn, they must be 35mm.. We referred to Furnace Lane as "The Gulley" (among other names). The 1st shot is the start of the 2nd Gulley at Clifford St. The 2nd shot is the end of the 2nd Gulley at Gerrard St. The 3rd shot is the end of the 1st Gulley at Clifford St and the 4th shot is the start of the 1st Gulley at Porchester St. I based my start/end designation on the fact that it is uphill and the start is the bottom of the hill. puzzled?

Dave A

yes dave i noticed teds cafe..thanks for the locations as well...now dave what i want to to know is post 65 pic 3...there is a heart shaped chalked on the wall cant quite make out the girls name but the lads is dave...would that be you by any chance..now is the time to own up lol

lyn

yes dave i noticed teds cafe..thanks for the locations as well...now dave what i want to to know is post 65 pic 3...there is a heart shaped chalked on the wall cant quite make out the girls name but the lads is dave...would that be you by any chance..now is the time to own up lol

lyn

I had so many girls after me, it could have been Jill ????, but which Jill. Furnace Lane was lovers lane...there was a sandpit just on the left in picture #1, that was my choice spot. That's enough for now...

Dave

ha ha dave...i thought the name could have been jill....our mom and dad did their courting in furnace lane but this would have been in the 1940s..

Thank you for finding the photos they bring so many memories back where did you get them they are the best as it looks how it did in my childhood not all derelict.
1 Clifford St to gerrard st
2 same but right at the highest point of the hill ( this is right outside my house )
3 porch ester St to Clifford St
4 same
the rest are right in the 1950s the cafe was called Pats cafe she was a beauty queen and her parents had photos of her all over the walls.
Thanks again marg fry

hi marg got them from the library...to be honest i am pleased they turned out so well as i have to take photos of them with my camera..steady hand needed..the lighting is not that good so sometimes you may see a bit of a flash on some of them...but as i always say they are better than nothing...thanks for putting the locations on some of them marg tomorrow when i have time i shall go back and edit them..

lyn x

Lyn when I was 12/13ish my friend and I had crushes on a couple of lads who lived in the Gower Street area and we walked up Furnace Lane so many times hoping to catch sight of them, I don't think we ever did, but your photos bring back so many memories of hanging around there.

Lyn when I was 12/13ish my friend and I had crushes on a couple of lads who lived in the Gower Street area and we walked up Furnace Lane so many times hoping to catch sight of them, I don't think we ever did, but your photos bring back so many memories of hanging around there.

thanks sylv so pleased they bring back memories even if you didnt get your man lol...to me these photos are little gems

lyn

hi marg got them from the library...to be honest i am pleased they turned out so well as i have to take photos of them with my camera..steady hand needed..the lighting is not that good so sometimes you may see a bit of a flash on some of them...but as i always say they are better than nothing...thanks for putting the locations on some of them marg tomorrow when i have time i shall go back and edit them..

lyn x

bringing this old thread to the top as it is very interesting...would also like to hear any other members memory of furnace lane especially if they lived there

lyn

I have been compiling the images of Porchester Street to put on the interactive map but now completely in awe of the number of images of Furnace Lane so it's going to take a lot longer than expected. I can't see this one anywhere.

Attachments

• porchester-st4.jpg
    porchester-st4.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 12
they are great images john thats for sure..never thought we would have so many of the famous furnace lane which was our mom and dads courting spot :rolleyes: :D

lyn

they are great images john thats for sure..never thought we would have so many of the famous furnace lane which was our mom and dads courting spot :rolleyes: :D

lyn
The first images I looked at were the Phyllis Nicklin ones and it was sad to see the dereliction of the area. Having looked at those on the Furnace Lane thread it was obviously an area with so much character and unbelievable history. We've lost so many areas like that in Birmingham. I'm finding it such an eye opener compiling the images for the map but I keep finding images from other areas (like St. peter's Place yesterday) and my attention gets diverted from the task in hand.

totally agree with you john and i was so pleased to find so many photos at the library..steeped in history the likes of which we sadly will never see again but at least we have the photos

lyn

I've found around 30 images now of Furnace Lane (mainly off BHF), I have managed to work out all the locations except for this photo. I think it is where Furnace Lane comes out at Gower Street, it looks as though there is a wall at the exit which could be the school. Can anybody help please.

Attachments

• furnace-lane-where.jpg
    furnace-lane-where.jpg
    130.2 KB · Views: 25
sorry john i cant help with that but if marg fry picks up this thread she maybe able to help as she lived in furnace lane and has a great memory for the place

lyn

I've found around 30 images now of Furnace Lane (mainly off BHF), I have managed to work out all the locations except for this photo. I think it is where Furnace Lane comes out at Gower Street, it looks as though there is a wall at the exit which could be the school. Can anybody help please.
I have to agree that is at Gower St. We designated Furnace Lane into 3 separate gulleys. Starting #1 at Porchester St to Clifford St. #2 Clifford St to Gerrard St, & #3 Gerrard St to Gower St. #3 is the only one that has cobbles (I believe).
Dave A

I have to agree that is at Gower St. We designated Furnace Lane into 3 separate gulleys. Starting #1 at Porchester St to Clifford St. #2 Clifford St to Gerrard St, & #3 Gerrard St to Gower St. #3 is the only one that has cobbles (I believe).
Dave A
Thanks Dave, I've become fascinated with the history of Furnace Lane, my dad used to take me to J. R. Pearson on Porchester Street (where he worked), I had no idea of this area further up the street, I can imagine it was a haven of enjoyment as a child. We would play 'tracking' as children but always ended up going to the Aston Road North side of Parliament Street, never the High Street side.

Thanks Dave, I've become fascinated with the history of Furnace Lane, my dad used to take me to J. R. Pearson on Porchester Street (where he worked), I had no idea of this area further up the street, I can imagine it was a haven of enjoyment as a child. We would play 'tracking' as children but always ended up going to the Aston Road North side of Parliament Street, never the High Street side.
We very rarely referred to Furnace Lane, it was always the 'Gulley'. It was more of a Lovers Lane than anything else. We would use the first gulley to get to the #8 inner circle bus to go to my Aunties in Balsall Heath. Returning in the evening, our mom would make us look the other way when coming down the gulley past the number of couples that were occupying the wall spaces. Pearsons loading dock was our playground on Porchester St. I have a photo of the loading dock taken in 2003, with me and my best friend from Paddington St. I believe I posted it to BHF, but not sure...
Dave A

Here are the photo's
Dave A

Attachments

• P7020157.JPG
    P7020157.JPG
    621.7 KB · Views: 18
  • P7020158.JPG
    P7020158.JPG
    672.1 KB · Views: 18
We very rarely referred to Furnace Lane, it was always the 'Gulley'. It was more of a Lovers Lane than anything else. We would use the first gulley to get to the #8 inner circle bus to go to my Aunties in Balsall Heath. Returning in the evening, our mom would make us look the other way when coming down the gulley past the number of couples that were occupying the wall spaces. Pearsons loading dock was our playground on Porchester St. I have a photo of the loading dock taken in 2003, with me and my best friend from Paddington St. I believe I posted it to BHF, but not sure...
Dave A
Yes, I've seen that picture on here somewhere. So you would use the No. 8 to go in the opposite direction to me, I used it to go to Saltley

Back