• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Furnace lane..

Yes, I've seen that picture on here somewhere. So you would use the No. 8 to go in the opposite direction to me, I used it to go to Saltley
Actually, I don't believe it made much difference which way you went. We did go Nechells, Saltley on the way there...
Dave A

Furnace Lane images (25) have been added to the Aston Interactive Map plus Guildford Street (1) which relates to this thread.

www.leroux.co.uk/aston

I have thoroughly enjoyed working on this area, as a child I never ventured to Furnace Lane but just doing this exercise has helped me appreciate the character and atmosphere here. Wish I could see it in real life but thankfully we have photos.

Correlating the Furnace Lane map to a census has proved very difficult, this may help members to trace the location of their ancestor's house.

Attachments

• -funace-lane&1911census.jpg
    -funace-lane&1911census.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 24
thanks john...i did not realise that there were no houses in the clifford st to porchester st section of furnace lane...

lyn

This is an extract from the link attached:

"However the name of the Aston Furnace lived on. In 1849 in White's Directory, a street called Aston Furnace Mills was named. This became the strangely-shaped and narrow Furnace Lane, a passageway which ran from half-way up Portchester Street, across Clifford Street and up to Gower Street, Lozells. It survived until it was swept away in the post-war redevelopment of Aston."

Great photo Lyn! but...I'm confused about the location. Furnace Lane started at Porchester St, at least it did when I lived there. However, the map location shown is what confuses me (it doesn't take much) I feel that the photo is at Clifford St at the start of the second gulley.
Dave A

Dave
I do not personally know the area, but earlier than you Furnace Lane went both ways from Clifford St a shown on the c1889 map

map c1889-centre furnace lane.jpg

Dave
I do not personally know the area, but earlier than you Furnace Lane went both ways from Clifford St a shown on the c1889 map

View attachment 170463
Thanks Mike, Lyn gave me the impression that it was at Porchester St. It's close but not enough to not confuse me. It's interesting to see a shop on Furnace Lane. It was definitely gone when I live there.
Dave A

pretty sure furnace lane started at gower st...yes here is a map.it started in gower st opposite the school over gerrard st over clifford st and down porchester st

lyn
Depends on definition Lyn. As you know, we referred to Furnace Lane as the "Gulley", the first being the Porchester St end. It was never known as the first gulley, but next one up that started at Clifford St was known as the second gulley and so on ending at Gower St. Not worth arguing about though...
Dave A

i thought you might do that john

lyn
I remember when I was putting Furnace Lane on the interactive map it was so confusing where the lane crossed Clifford Street and Gower Street (similar pictures in many ways).
In Kelly's of 1908 Albert Sherlock (shopkeeper) was at 47 Gerrard Street.

Attachments

• 47-gerrard-st.jpg
    47-gerrard-st.jpg
    239.6 KB · Views: 22
  • 47-gerrard-st-image.jpg
    47-gerrard-st-image.jpg
    454.3 KB · Views: 23
Thanks Mike, Lyn gave me the impression that it was at Porchester St. It's close but not enough to not confuse me. It's interesting to see a shop on Furnace Lane. It was definitely gone when I live there.
Dave A
What year did you live there it was deralict but still standing till the late 60s

sorry john i cant help with that but if marg fry picks up this thread she maybe able to help as she lived in furnace lane and has a great memory for the place

lyn
I its margaret fry here I havent been on the site for ages but that is the top of furnace lane by gower st

This shop is on the corner of gerrard st and furnace lane the map above is of the bottom furnace lane from clifford st to porchester st
Hi Margaret Was your dad named Vic Fry with a brother named Gordon and a sister named Joan who was my Mom my name is Terry Please contact me if you want to as I am doing the Fry family tree Regards Terry from Aston

We very rarely referred to Furnace Lane, it was always the 'Gulley'. It was more of a Lovers Lane than anything else. We would use the first gulley to get to the #8 inner circle bus to go to my Aunties in Balsall Heath. Returning in the evening, our mom would make us look the other way when coming down the gulley past the number of couples that were occupying the wall spaces. Pearsons loading dock was our playground on Porchester St. I have a photo of the loading dock taken in 2003, with me and my best friend from Paddington St. I believe I posted it to BHF, but not sure...
Dave A
My mom worked at pearsons in the 70s she ran the canteen

I reserched the fry family a few years back I will send you the information if you want me to
Hi Margaret I have been using find my past and have traced the Frys back to 1732 in Batheaston Somerset so any info you might have would be useful and I can send you a copy of what I have the main problem I have is with Grandad Regards Terry

We are all well, married to Denise two sons Darren 50 and Mark 41 and two grand children Jacob 13 and Chloe 10 we live in Somerset 43 years now how is your family? regards Terry
We are all ok been married 52 years we have david 50 in january and joanne 48 in febuary we 3 grandchildren david has a daughter sophie 17 joanne has a daughter Eve also 17 and a son george aged 12 we still live in great barr but on the pear tree estate been here 25 years
its been such along time since ive seen you and would love to hear all your news .
happy new year from margaret and Richard

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Margaret I have been using find my past and have traced the Frys back to 1732 in Batheaston Somerset so any info you might have would be useful and I can send you a copy of what I have the main problem I have is with Grandad Regards Terry
I think you may have got back further than me as its got to be 20 yrs since I did mine I have it all here in a folder but the internet has come on so much since then I was thinking of joining again as there must be much more on there now

We would advise members to not put contact details on open forum as they may be harvested for dubious purposes. These can be rover using edit function . C Private messages can be used using conversation (envelope symbol at top of page)

hi terry and marg how lovely that you have both caught up with each other after so many years...but as mike has said it is not advisable to post your private contact details on open forum as the world and its wife can also see them..in your case terry you posted your email address..home address and 2 telephone numbers so i have removed them and sent them to margaret via our private message system which is only visible between the sender and the recipient...marg i have also removed your email address for safety....hope you both enjoy your catch up :)

lyn

Last edited:
Back