• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Furnace lane..

they are great images john thats for sure..never thought we would have so many of the famous furnace lane which was our mom and dads courting spot :rolleyes: :D

lyn

they are great images john thats for sure..never thought we would have so many of the famous furnace lane which was our mom and dads courting spot :rolleyes: :D

lyn
The first images I looked at were the Phyllis Nicklin ones and it was sad to see the dereliction of the area. Having looked at those on the Furnace Lane thread it was obviously an area with so much character and unbelievable history. We've lost so many areas like that in Birmingham. I'm finding it such an eye opener compiling the images for the map but I keep finding images from other areas (like St. peter's Place yesterday) and my attention gets diverted from the task in hand.

totally agree with you john and i was so pleased to find so many photos at the library..steeped in history the likes of which we sadly will never see again but at least we have the photos

lyn

I've found around 30 images now of Furnace Lane (mainly off BHF), I have managed to work out all the locations except for this photo. I think it is where Furnace Lane comes out at Gower Street, it looks as though there is a wall at the exit which could be the school. Can anybody help please.

Attachments

• furnace-lane-where.jpg
    furnace-lane-where.jpg
    130.2 KB · Views: 25
sorry john i cant help with that but if marg fry picks up this thread she maybe able to help as she lived in furnace lane and has a great memory for the place

lyn

I've found around 30 images now of Furnace Lane (mainly off BHF), I have managed to work out all the locations except for this photo. I think it is where Furnace Lane comes out at Gower Street, it looks as though there is a wall at the exit which could be the school. Can anybody help please.
I have to agree that is at Gower St. We designated Furnace Lane into 3 separate gulleys. Starting #1 at Porchester St to Clifford St. #2 Clifford St to Gerrard St, & #3 Gerrard St to Gower St. #3 is the only one that has cobbles (I believe).
Dave A

I have to agree that is at Gower St. We designated Furnace Lane into 3 separate gulleys. Starting #1 at Porchester St to Clifford St. #2 Clifford St to Gerrard St, & #3 Gerrard St to Gower St. #3 is the only one that has cobbles (I believe).
Dave A
Thanks Dave, I've become fascinated with the history of Furnace Lane, my dad used to take me to J. R. Pearson on Porchester Street (where he worked), I had no idea of this area further up the street, I can imagine it was a haven of enjoyment as a child. We would play 'tracking' as children but always ended up going to the Aston Road North side of Parliament Street, never the High Street side.

Thanks Dave, I've become fascinated with the history of Furnace Lane, my dad used to take me to J. R. Pearson on Porchester Street (where he worked), I had no idea of this area further up the street, I can imagine it was a haven of enjoyment as a child. We would play 'tracking' as children but always ended up going to the Aston Road North side of Parliament Street, never the High Street side.
We very rarely referred to Furnace Lane, it was always the 'Gulley'. It was more of a Lovers Lane than anything else. We would use the first gulley to get to the #8 inner circle bus to go to my Aunties in Balsall Heath. Returning in the evening, our mom would make us look the other way when coming down the gulley past the number of couples that were occupying the wall spaces. Pearsons loading dock was our playground on Porchester St. I have a photo of the loading dock taken in 2003, with me and my best friend from Paddington St. I believe I posted it to BHF, but not sure...
Dave A

Here are the photo's
Dave A

Attachments

• P7020157.JPG
    P7020157.JPG
    621.7 KB · Views: 18
  • P7020158.JPG
    P7020158.JPG
    672.1 KB · Views: 18
We very rarely referred to Furnace Lane, it was always the 'Gulley'. It was more of a Lovers Lane than anything else. We would use the first gulley to get to the #8 inner circle bus to go to my Aunties in Balsall Heath. Returning in the evening, our mom would make us look the other way when coming down the gulley past the number of couples that were occupying the wall spaces. Pearsons loading dock was our playground on Porchester St. I have a photo of the loading dock taken in 2003, with me and my best friend from Paddington St. I believe I posted it to BHF, but not sure...
Dave A
Yes, I've seen that picture on here somewhere. So you would use the No. 8 to go in the opposite direction to me, I used it to go to Saltley

Yes, I've seen that picture on here somewhere. So you would use the No. 8 to go in the opposite direction to me, I used it to go to Saltley
Actually, I don't believe it made much difference which way you went. We did go Nechells, Saltley on the way there...
Dave A

Furnace Lane images (25) have been added to the Aston Interactive Map plus Guildford Street (1) which relates to this thread.

www.leroux.co.uk/aston

I have thoroughly enjoyed working on this area, as a child I never ventured to Furnace Lane but just doing this exercise has helped me appreciate the character and atmosphere here. Wish I could see it in real life but thankfully we have photos.

Correlating the Furnace Lane map to a census has proved very difficult, this may help members to trace the location of their ancestor's house.

Attachments

• -funace-lane&1911census.jpg
    -funace-lane&1911census.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 24
thanks john...i did not realise that there were no houses in the clifford st to porchester st section of furnace lane...

lyn

This is an extract from the link attached:

"However the name of the Aston Furnace lived on. In 1849 in White's Directory, a street called Aston Furnace Mills was named. This became the strangely-shaped and narrow Furnace Lane, a passageway which ran from half-way up Portchester Street, across Clifford Street and up to Gower Street, Lozells. It survived until it was swept away in the post-war redevelopment of Aston."

Back