• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Farm street infants and juniors.

hi again sherrill...i do indeed remember sandra rose and christine jennings..stephen briscowe rings a bell...do you remember christine devlin??? after leaving farm st i went to lozells girls...there are plenty of pics of the old end on the forum and somewhere are a couple of berners st before demolision but i cant remember where i have seen them. just doing and search and i will let you know when i find them...if you use the search box at the top right of the page and type in farm street infants and juniors i have posted some inside shot of the school...type in burbury st park for pics of that...any problems finding them just get back to me..

lyn.

sherrill...ive just found the berners st pics in my files...if you give me a couple of mins i will post them under the berners street thread...

lyn

Dear Lyn,
thanks once again for replying. I have keyed in the information you have given me, but unfortunately no luck so far. I think it takes a while to navigate around these systems, I am sure eventually I will get the hang of it. I am waiting for more guests to come down for breakfast so whilst I am waiting I am either on ancestry or this new forum. Christine Jennings married a Persian doctor and had a couple of children, but haven't heard from her since the early 90's. I moved to the Wirral on Merseyside in 1974 and only back home if there is event going on, which is a rarity these days. Do you remember a Terence Boyle he was one of the clever kids and the only one who got his 11 plus.
Must go guests have come down. Speak soon
Take care
Sherrill

hi sherrill...dont worry about it..im still trying find my way round the forum after 2 and half years lol....sorry i dont remember terence boyle but i do remember colleen steadman who lived across the road from...im sure she passed her 11 plus...nice to know that christine is doing well and i know that sandra rose is still in brum somewhere... so you are now in the wirral ehh....it must be nice as you have stayed all this time...ok i have found the berners st pics and posted them for you under the NEIGHBOURS AND STREETS thread...i think they are of the bottom end of the street but no doubt you will know...

lyn

Last edited:
It was great you showing the photo's of Berners Street and Burbury Park (just how I remembered the park with the shed etc- can't believe it is still standing). Our David was amazed, he has had a very priviledged upbringting and it was nice for him to see the humble beginnings of my life. What is the date and time of the tour of back to back - I want to try and make it, but will have to do some juggling. Thank you so much for the lovely photographs, they really are appreciated. By the way Ickneld street was where my Mother lived, so any photo's would be appreciated. Thanks once again. With kind regards
Sherrill

Dear Lyn,
in the 2nd picture is the kitchen on the right handside of the picture. I remember the annexe to Farm Street, did we walk there or did a bus take us can't remember.
Regards
Sherrill

What I like about the above is the words 'our mom' isnt it lovely to hear, much more endearing and brings back so many memories. - I wonder if this is just brummies?

hi sherrill and thanks for reminding me of the kitchens...we walked to the annexe as it was only a few mins away...happy days...if you type in farm street in the search box there should be a pic of the building on the one corner and the swan pub on the other...there is only a pic of the other corner i am after..its where the surgery was and my nan on dads side lived next door to it...

lyn

hi guys
does anybody recall two familys around farm st way back in the late fortys and early fifties
the pumperys ; whom lived across from the school in tose masonetts and the dakin family
whom also lived in farm street and went to that school
my dear old friend alan went to live in wales and married a welsh lady from ebbavale
have not heard from him since 1960 astonian ;;

sorting through old photos i came across two school photos of my aunt and uncle both lived in hockley william in unett street and amy in wellesley street so i think the school might be farm street in 1920/30

josiePic (2652).jpgPic (2952).jpg

alas i dont have any old school class photos to post...in fact i cant even remember any being taken so if anyone out there has any of farm st infants and juniors beween 1959 and 1964 and of lozells girls school between 1964 and 1970 i would love to see them

cheers

lyn

Last edited:
img481.jpgimg482.jpghi folks my brother thought these old school reports of his from farm st school would be interesting to post...im sure that those of you who went to farm st will remember mr smith the headmaster...very handy with the cane...our kid said to make sure that you all know that on the report that says after his long absence he was not wagging it lol....reason for it was he had a long time off school due to a road accident when he was 8
lyn

Last edited:
My Mother Janet R Shuttleworth was born on October 1949, She tells me she went to Farm street School and then Harry Lucas ? what years would she of been at the individual schools please ?? Also are the any photographs ? I have a photograph of the front church like building , the other is rear playgroud with pram in it

I cant see the picture, but my mum went to Farm Street School and said her road was opposite the school " Bridge street west"

Much more decorated than when I left it in 66. I assume that's one of the infant classrooms?
I went over to the annex for 2nd & 3rd year Juniors returning to the main school for 4th year.
The annexe was just 4 classrooms in Stainsby Ave, off Gt King St/Smith St - just a few minutes walk one way from our house, with Farm St a minutes or so walk the other.
Harry Lucas was a secondary school. One of brothers went there, the other Icknield St, with my sister going to Smith St - all within a few minutes walk.
Brian

Hi Folks , I was at the school 1954-60. 1956 was a big year for me, acting-wise, it was when I was given the opportunity to demonstrate my thespian prowess. Many expressed the view I was made for the role, the odd person (including me) thought it was my consummate acting ability that help me carry the part off.

Regards,
Peg.

PS Lyn - 1956: 2 years to go before you started the school (?), had the timing been different do you think you would have been cast as Snow White?
Must View!
https://birminghamhistory.co.uk/forum/index.php?threads/peg-monkey-cartoons.48101/page-3#post-616774

Last edited:
well we were certainly there at the same time then peg but as for me playing snow white....i think not:D

here you go peg..should bring back memories pic 1 shows the villa st entrance and i think i can just make out girls only above the door..soon as you got through the door on the right was the winding stairs leading to upstairs classrooms...as you know we had 2 halls..these are 2 shots taken from each end of what i call the back hall..pic 2 the hall looking towards bsw..photo 3 the hall looking the other way..through the door facing you there was a little passage which led to where we hung our coats..the door on the left led past a couple of classrooms on the left and right..through another door and we were in the back playground which housed the bike sheds..there was a gate at the top of the back playground that led directly onto bsw...think i read somewhere that farm st school was one of first if not thee first board schools to be opened..how i remember doing many a nativity play and choir practice in that hall...happy days indeed

img279.jpg img280.jpg img281.jpg

Last edited:
here you go peg..should bring back memories pic 1 shows the villa st entrance and i think i can just make out girls only above the door..soon as you got through the door on the right was the winding stairs leading to upstairs classrooms...as you know we had 2 halls..these are 2 shots taken from each end of what i call the back hall..pic 2 the hall looking towards bsw..photo 3 the hall looking the other way..through the door facing you there was a little passage which led to where we hung our coats..the door on the left led past a couple of classrooms on the left and right..through another door and we were in the back playground which housed the bike sheds..there was a gate at the top of the back playground that led directly onto bsw...think i read somewhere that farm st school was one of first if not thee first board schools to be opened..how i remember doing many a nativity play and choir practice in that hall...happy days indeed

View attachment 113765 View attachment 113766 View attachment 113767
Hi Lyn, thanks for those pics. Villa Street facade looks very impressive, it's an entrance I used infrequently, travelling from Hockley Brook direction the Farm and Bridge Street West entrances were closer - both about equi-distant. I remember little of the layout of the school (may be something to do with memories of dental and head lice examinations and, of course, the polio injections - all important but not something that can be remembered with affection) compared with HLS, as witnessed by the school plan I produced from memory.

I do remember 2 halls - smaller was used as the dining hall, I helped erect the trestle tables and benches prior to lunchtime each day (don't know if I volunteered - I should really have been at my studies) and where the nursery rhyme murals hung, I remember Jack Spratt in particular. The larger hall was used for PE, where the visiting orchestras would perform (repertoire always included The Teddy Bear's Picnic) and where Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs play was staged.

I had a classmate who lived in Villa Street (name escapes me) he lived only minutes away but was late every day, I guess you would have gone to Harry Lucas has it not closed, LGS must have been quite walk for you.

Does my memory serve me correctly? There was quite a slope from Bridge Street West to Farm Street, meaning the school was on various levels. I remember representing the school in the hoop race at an inter-school sports day, it was a fluke I got there, I was rubbish. I only got the cane once from Mr Smith, headmaster, for throwing stones - a bum rap of course!

Ah! Happy days.

Peg.

yes peg that section of villa st was on a slight slope...still is today..my gt nan lived in villa st opposite the school...i cant recall having any injections at farm st...could be wrong here but i thought in those days we were given sugar lumps with the polio vaccine on..harry lucas was still open when i left farm st (1964 )so i could have gone there but mom wanted (and i agreed with her) me to go to LGS which is where she attended..as i lived in what i call the 3rd section of villa st (from nursery road to wills st ) there was little walking difference between the two schools...mind you i did miss my daily look at hockley brook when i left farm st...although it was no effort to have a look at it out of school hours if i wanted to..

lyn

Last edited:
Hi Folks, do you remember your first real school trip? I do, for the wrong reason - more about that later.
I suppose I was about 9 so that would make it 1958 and the trip was to Rhyl, teacher in charge: Mr Eggington, I can remember his instructions the day before: Bring yourself, a magazine and a raincoat; there must have been something about a packed lunch as well but for some reason I can't remember that, anyway, we traveled by train from Snow Hill and were allowed some free time on the beach, shortly after arrival, and then the memorable event took place - I was targeted by a seagull for bombing practice - and boy, was he a good aim!
I say seagull, but to be honest the size of his gift indicated he could well have been an albatross! And worse! I think he must have had a dodgy curry on his night out with the lads the evening before!
Ah, the good old days!

Peg.

Two photos in post #29 were originally posted to another thread ("school photos") by Josietrue and I've now moved them to this thread as they might be of interest. It's thought possible they're of Farm Street school. Viv.

hi again sherrill...i do indeed remember sandra rose and christine jennings..stephen briscowe rings a bell...do you remember christine devlin??? after leaving farm st i went to lozells girls...there are plenty of pics of the old end on the forum and somewhere are a couple of berners st before demolision but i cant remember where i have seen them. just doing and search and i will let you know when i find them...if you use the search box at the top right of the page and type in farm street infants and juniors i have posted some inside shot of the school...type in burbury st park for pics of that...any problems finding them just get back to me..

lyn.
Hi i went to farm street i wad born in 1954
And lived in wellesley street i rember mr berry
And christine devlin is my cousin after i went to summer lane school dont have any photos sorry.

Dear Lyn,
thanks once again for replying. I have keyed in the information you have given me, but unfortunately no luck so far. I think it takes a while to navigate around these systems, I am sure eventually I will get the hang of it. I am waiting for more guests to come down for breakfast so whilst I am waiting I am either on ancestry or this new forum. Christine Jennings married a Persian doctor and had a couple of children, but haven't heard from her since the early 90's. I moved to the Wirral on Merseyside in 1974 and only back home if there is event going on, which is a rarity these days. Do you remember a Terence Boyle he was one of the clever kids and the only one who got his 11 plus.
Must go guests have come down. Speak soon
Take care
Sherrill
Hi Sherrill, just looked back through this thread - Terry Boyle passed 11+ in 1966 - same year as me - he was in 4a & 1 Was in 4b as I recall - we were the only 2 that passed that year, but I left in April to move to Lea hall, although Mr Smith told my parents i had passed. I went on to Central Grammer in Tile Cross & Terry went to handsworth as far as I know. We were both in the Life Boys (Junior Boys Brigade) in The Peoples Chapel at the time. I recall him having a strong yellow tinge due to jaundice ?? I was win Mr Berry's class 4b in farm St, having been in the annex in Mr Williams class for 3b.

This newspaper photo isn't of Pezza's or Brian's time, but what a great image of evacuated Farm Street boys. Despite the war and most probably missing home, it looks like they were wholeheartedly getting stuck into the rural life. Viv.

image.jpeg

crikey viv for one min i thought our dad was on that photo as he was evacuated to monmouthshire but then i realised he was not sent to a farm and at the time of evacuation he would have been at burbury st school (later called harry lucas) smashing photo viv

lyn

during the war years farm st school was closed and used as what was known as "A BRITISH RESTAURANT" these buildings were taken over to serve lunches at reasonable prices to the workers of various factories who played a major part in the war effort...joseph lucas gks being one of them..here are 2 photos taken at farm st school i am pretty sure the one photo was taken of the kitchen staff standing in front of the bike sheds that were in the playground on the bridge st west side of the school the other one taken inside the school in one of the 2 halls by the looks of it..(brian or mabz maybe able to confirm as we were all there at the same time)..great to have these... as i always say..they are out there somewhere:)

lyn

farm st school used as a british restaurant 2.jpg farm st school used as a british restaurant.jpg

Last edited:
hi pezza sorry i missed your post...very good chance we were in the same class at farm st or maybe a year apart as i was born in 1953 and lived in villa street...i also remember mr berry. she may not remember me but can you give my regards please to christine..ps there are lots of photos of wellesley st on the wellesley st thread

lyn

Last edited:
hi pezza sorry i missed your post...very good chance we were in the same class at farm st or maybe a year apart as i was born in 1953 and lived in villa street...i also remember mr berry. she may not remember me but can you give my regards please to christine..ps there are lots of photos of wellesley st on the wellesley st thread

lyn

Hi Lyn,
Very intriguing post. I was also born in 1953. My family moved from Monument Road to Wellesley Street. I attended Farm Street school from around January 1963,I joined class 3B, Miss Yen was our class teacher. The following schoolyear saw me in class 4A,we went to a separate building along Farm Street for a short while before moving to a brand new annex somewhere off Great King Street. We had to walk to main school for lunch.
My name then was Bernard Dunn,I wonder if we were at Farm Street at the same time?

Back