• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Farm street infants and juniors.

Astoness

TRUE BRUMMIE MODERATOR
Staff member
hi all. i attended farm st school hockley from 1958 to 1963. would anyone out there have any photos of the old school or its classrooms or playgrounds. im sure we must have had class photos in them days but unfortunately i dont have any. thanks in advance.

Hi Wales:

There is only one photo of pupils from the Farm Street school on the Friends Reunited website but there are a lot of pupils listed from the era you mention. I will private message them to you if you would like them.

re farm st infants and juniors.

hi jennyann. thanks very much for the info. i am a member of friends reunite but didnt click on to the photo section. cant you tell im new to this. i seen the list of ex pupils but anytime you come accross anything of interest to me i would be very grateful if you would send it to me. thanks again.

Hi Wales: Just look on the Farm Street site for the photo album button. It`s up on the left hand side on the Friends Reunited site. Someone may have some photos of the school hopefully.

hi all. hope these pic bring back some memories for those of you who went to farm st school. if memory serves me the classroom shown was one that was off the front hall.

as some of you may remember we had 2 halls. these 2 are of the back hall. if you looked out of the windows on the 1st pic bridge st west ran behind. on the 2nd pic the door on the top right led out to the back playground. and the door you see in the middle led down to the cloakroom and through to the front hall.

this last one is of the hallway. if you remember we had to go up the iron staircase to the top classrooms. note the school bell on the left. i am pretty sure that this is where this one was taken. hope you like them. happy days. wales.

sorry folks. dont know me right from me left. i meant to say on the 2nd hall pic it was the door on the top left that led to the back playground. wales.

Hi Wales - I spent 2/3 years there prior to going to Harry Lucas in 1963. My teachers included Mr Berry and Miss Dewguard - Miss Saunders was the lunch time assistant.

These photographs have brought lots of memories back. Thanks

hi keith. glad you liked them. if we both left in 63 we must have been in the same class. i had mr. berry and mrs dewgard. mr smith headmaster. his office was right at the top. did you also go to the small flat rooved annexe a short walk away. ps where did you live then. wales. sorry i cant recall your name.

Yes we did go to the annex - it was called the Friends Hall by the Fountain Pub, opposite Harry Lucas. My best mates were Buggsy Murray, Evs and Robbo.

I left Bloomsbury Street school in 1960. Started Farm Street in Miss Vaughns (?) class I believe.

hi keith. i didnt go to friends hall.(thats still there) i went to the 4 classroomed annexe a short walk from the back of farm st school. think i made a mistake. i thought you lived in burbery st. if so i was going to ask to you recall robin lyndon.(burbery st) ross taylor(graham st) the moorehouses and my self (villa street) o yer my name is linda harrington. got a bro named mark. he went to harry lucas then gower.

I lived in Defford Road, just off Burbury Street. I don't seen to recall the names. The girls in my class was Ann Wright, Janice ?, Maureen Brindley (?)

hi keith. isnt memory loss a terrable thing. i cant recall any of those names you mentioned ha ha. anyway its been good to talk. if you are interested in looking a pics of nursery road and villa st. go to the search bar at the top of the page and type in nursery road newsagents. i have posted a few there and as you will read i am posting some more later on. wales.

bridge st west ran at the back of farm st school and ive just come accross this pic of bridge st west so would you agree the school in this pic must be farm st. ive compared it with my earlier pic i posted and it looks like it to me. wales.

bridge st west ran at the back of farm st school and ive just come accross this pic of bridge st west so would you agree the school in this pic must be farm st. ive compared it with my earlier pic i posted and it looks like it to me. wales.

Yes Wales that is definately Farm Street School. another one for the album

keith

slipped a long time ago keith. no the reason that im not to sure is in those days i think there were 3 different times of year that we left school. i just dont know which one i left at. lol wales.

slipped a long time ago keith. no the reason that im not to sure is in those days i think there were 3 different times of year that we left school. i just dont know which one i left at. lol wales.

On the school site, there is a photograph of the football team, the teacher in the photograph was Mr Williams

keith

hi ycat...well i feel as though we may know each other as i too attended farm st school the same years as you....i remember all the teachers you mentioned very well...where abouts did you live...i came from villa street....here is a pic of our old school sadly long demolished and i am just searching my files for a pic of the church...what a small world and a warm welcome to the forum...

lyn

Last edited:
hi mabz....it was st saviours on the corner of farm st /bridge st west...here you go...our mom was christened there.

lyn

hi ycat...well i feel as though we may know each other as i too attended farm st school the same years as you....i remember all the teachers you mentioned very well...where abouts did you live...i came from villa street....here is a pic of our old school sadly long demolished and i am just searching my files for a pic of the church...what a small world and a warm welcome to the forum...

lyn
Dear Lyn, thank you for replying and with the warm welcome. I lived in Berner Street and used to walk through Burbury Park to get to school. Do you remember Susan Rose, Christine Jennings, Stephen Briscowe, Tony Greenhill or Greenwood, Mary Flynn. After Hockley Primary I went to Lozells Secondary and then moved to Kingstanding when I was 13, Lozells was getting demolished. Thanks for the photo brings back loads of memories.
kind regards Sherrill

Back