• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Farm street infants and juniors.

hi bernard i would think we were at farm st school together maybe even in the same class even though your name rings no bells...the building along farm st would have been friends hall which is still there and the new annexe off gt king st was demolished a few years ago...had four classrooms and a small playground...teachers i recall are mrs dugard and mr berry oh and of course mr smith the headmaster...have you found the wellesley st thread and seen all the photos i posted before demo ?? what number did you live at ?never know your house could be on one of them ...i guess you also played in burbury st park ? i would think our paths must have crossed so welcome from one old ender to another old ender:)

lyn

hi bernard i would think we were at farm st school together maybe even in the same class even though your name rings no bells...the building along farm st would have been friends hall which is still there and the new annexe off gt king st was demolished a few years ago...had four classrooms and a small playground...teachers i recall are mrs dugard and mr berry oh and of course mr smith the headmaster...have you found the wellesley st thread and seen all the photos i posted before demo ?? what number did you live at ?never know your house could be on one of them ...i guess you also played in burbury st park ? i would think our paths must have crossed so welcome from one old ender to another old ender

lyn
Hi Lyn,
I have checked the Wellesley Street photographs where I discovered my brother is already on site under the name Kenny and he has commented there.
Thinking of others at Farm Street the only names that I recall are: Billy Boyle,Peter Clinton Gerald Wright and Michael Moore. The only girl I recall is Sandra Rose,she lived at the back of Burberry Street Park,we did play there but had more fun in the derelicts and bomb peck opposite Lucas. Also played in an old factory on (I think) Bridge Street.
Someone used to park an old bus in the road to the rear of the school and I got myself in a great deal of hot water one day when, having got into the cab I pressed what I thought was the horn and the engine turned over. A vist to Mr Smith followed resulting in two very sore palms.

Nodd

hi bernard glad you know of the wellesley st pics...have to say we had great fun growing up very happy days for me and my siblings i am the eldest of 6 and the thing is back then we made our own fun which cost nothing...mind you if our mom knew of the things we got up to we would have been in for it lol...pretty sure sandra rose was at farm st...she was certainly in my class at lozells girls school..can you recall going up the spiral tower to mr smiths room not that i ever had to pay him a visit but i did get the stick once for stepping out of line in the playground of the new annexe...i do have a photo of that somewhere will try and find it and post it ...take it you have seen the photos on this thread of the outside and inside of farm st school??

lyn

Hi Lyn,
I endured several worrying ascents of the spiral staircase,always followed by sore hands. Very surprised to read you were caned! I attended four schools (to be fair one was Icknield Street Boys School)and never saw or heard of a girl being caned. Perhaps the teachers were too busy caning me
Think I am being thick at the moment,can't find my way to the photos of the school,help!!

hi nodd did you start reading this thread from post 1?? ..i always advise to read a thread from the beginning if you dont you may miss something...most of this thread is just talking until you get to post 50 which is where i have posted a few photos and other members have posted some after that...yes i got just 1 wack from the stick...never told our mom not because i was afraid of what she may say but because she would have been up to the school and lord help the teacher who caned me..never mind..i got over it lol..my brother was a frequent visitor to mr smith:rolleyes: and somewhere on this thread i have posted some of his old school reports..managed to find the photo of the annexe sorry if its a tad small but its how it was sent to me..if you click on the farm st school photos they will enlarge but you most likely know this

lyn

Farm_St_Annex_from_Peoples_Chapel.jpg

Last edited:
hi nodd did you start reading this thread from post 1?? ..i always advise to read a thread from the beginning if you dont you may miss something...most of this thread is just talking until you get to post 50 which is where i have posted a few photos and other members have posted some after that...yes i got just 1 wack from the stick...never told our mom not because i was afraid of what she may say but because she would have been up to the school and lord help the teacher who caned me..never mind..i got over it lol..my brother was a frequent visitor to mr smith:rolleyes: and somewhere on this thread i have posted some of his old school reports..managed to find the photo of the annexe sorry if its a tad small but its how it was sent to me..if you click on the farm st school photos they will enlarge but you most likely know this

lyn

View attachment 130760

Thanks Lyn, the building is smaller than I remember but still brings back memories.
Is that members of the Boys/Girls Brigade crossing the road. I wonder if they were from 1A Birmingham Company from the Peoples Chapel? I joined the Life Boys there and then the Brigade proper. The Brigade paraded at Harry Lucas on Friday night.

yes bernard i believe it is the 1A brigade...my brother was also in the 1A but he is 3 years younger than you...was lucky enough to find his attendance sheets on the brigades web site which he printed off and had them laminated...ifyou put in boys brigade into the search box i think there is a thread for it

lyn

Thanks Lyn, the building is smaller than I remember but still brings back memories.
Is that members of the Boys/Girls Brigade crossing the road. I wonder if they were from 1A Birmingham Company from the Peoples Chapel? I joined the Life Boys there and then the Brigade proper. The Brigade paraded at Harry Lucas on Friday night.
Hi Lyn,
Nodd the pest again. I have checked through the site and found a couple of photos at#50. Your post at #5 suggests there may be more but I can't find a link or pictures. Am I missing something.
Sorry to be a pain but I would love to see more photos of the school.

Nodd

you are not missing anything nodd and you are not a pain..the pics i posted on post 5 were lost so i reposted them on post 50.. owing to the forum being hacked late 2011 resulted in us losing all of our images posted before that date which was roughly 66000 lost...since then members that can are still slowly reposting the lost images which as you can imagine is still a massive on going task...just been through this thread myself and there is one photo of the upstairs corridor that i have not re posted...i should still have it somewhere in my files will have a look for it

lyn

My first memory of farm st school was in about 1956 I was about 5 years old and the youngest of 6 children all at farm st. I went into the big hall for assembly and I cryed to go to my big sister and the infants teacher told me to be quiet, when I didn’t she took me into the infants class and slapped my bum I never liked school after that

hi emily and welcome...its things like that that unfortunately we dont forget...i dare say that the photos on this thread of both of the halls we had at farm st will bring back those memories for you...enjoy the forum

lyn

sorry folks. dont know me right from me left. i meant to say on the 2nd hall pic it was the door on the top left that led to the back playground. wales.
hi emily and welcome...its things like that that unfortunately we dont forget...i dare say that the photos on this thread of both of the halls we had at farm st will bring back those memories for you...enjoy the forum

lyn
Hi I went to farm st school started there in 1960 infants to 1966, I was in Mr browns class by the back hall the class on the right, the annex was behind the flats hertford house on unite st the entrance on smith st we are a family of 9 from 139 wheeler st we lived next door to the motor bike shop my dad was charlie ( Spike) and mom ( Rita) I also went to Harry Lucas senior school for the first year where after it closed

hi david and welcome to the forum..would you have a brother called steven i am sure my brother has mentioned that name ?...my brother is mark harrington (from villa street) born 1956 also attended farm st... harry lucas then gower st..

lyn

hi david and welcome to the forum..would you have a brother called steven i am sure my brother has mentioned that name ?...my brother is mark harrington (from villa street) born 1956 also attended farm st... harry lucas then gower st..

lyn
Hi Lyn

lyn
Hi lyn thank you for the welcome, yes I have a brother Stephen like most of us he went to farm st then Harry Lucas, we was supposed to go to st Georges bit we ended going to perry beeches. Stephen is now in Australia, but I do remember Mark he would have been in Andrew's year as we ended going to Gower st in early 1970 to be able to go to Holte comp

thanks david..i will mention to our mark that i have spoken to you...oh by the way if you go to our wheeler street thread you will find a lot of old pre demo photos that i have posted...never know your old house maybe there

lyn

Last edited:
thanks david..i will mention to our mark that i have spoken to you...oh by the way if you go to our wheeler street thread you will find a lot of old pre demo photos that i have posted...never know your old house maybe there

lyn
Sorry Lyn I made a mistake Mark was in my year, I am glad to hear from you send mark my regards, yes I will look at the old photos of wheeler st thank you

hi david i have got mark sitting next to me at the min and he said to say hello after all these years...however he seems to think that you were a year or two above him...he said he was in andrews class at holt...what year was you born..mark was born in 56...mark said do you recall ian bricknall who was same class as mark and andrew

lyn

hi david i have got mark sitting next to me at the min and he said to say hello after all these years...however he seems to think that you were a year or two above him...he said he was in andrews class at holt...what year was you born..mark was born in 56...mark said do you recall ian bricknall who was same class as mark and andrew

lyn
Hi Lyn, hi Mark,
I was born 55 so yes Mark was in Andrew's class who unfortunately is not with us now but I do remember him yes I remember Ian Bricknall I've got his brother Ray on my fb but haven't heard nor seen Ian in years

Back