• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Demolition of Wholesale Market

A few months ago I walked all around the old Wholesale Markets site taking many photos to capture the area before it is demolished and the whole area redeveloped.

I posted them all on the web site called SkyscraperCity. Note many of them are panoramas so they are probably best viewed on a large computer screen rather than a small smartphone (or even tablet)

You can view the photos on SkyscraperCity here:

https://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=2088917

Note to see all the topics on SkyscraperCity for Birmingham you do need to register first. See here:

https://www.skyscrapercity.com/forumdisplay.php?f=336

While SkyscrpaerCity does tend to concentrate on new building projects it also shows old photos of Birmingham as well as allowing discussion of the history of the city and its buildings.

i assumed all of it mike but i could be wrong on that...i will find out and report back

lyn

I was taking photos of what is left of the Wholesale Markets today (very little) and all that you can see is an expanse of concrete this set me thinking what is under that concrete ? there should be at least one main road (Bromsgrove St) and one or two minor roads, it does depend on how thick the concrete floor is/was? will we see the outline of the Old Market? we will have to wait and see just how much is there any road up here are the shots 11 in total

Last edited:
Not really got around to taking many demolition photos of this. Nothing to see on Barford Street. And not walked past the side on Upper Dean Street. There is mostly nothing to see!

Got these photos from the no 45 bus on Pershore Street.

There is still the concrete car parks on Pershore Street and Moat Lane. Also those City Council offices on Moat Lane still seem to be occupied.

Pershore Street is changing a lot recently!

Some Upper Dean Street views in better weather. Just piles of rubble!

Total Produce / GP Salads

Moat Lane Car Park from the back.

Towards Pershore Street Car Park.

Fish & Poultry

I sort of remember where the wholesale market is, but only going back to the city centre about 6 times a year max in the 80's, I can't remember anything else in the pics,

I do feel for you all seeing Birmingham changing again, it is sad to see. I really hope that the change will be for the better like the new library which is really nice, but of course that is just my opinion.

Views from the no 35 bus from Barford Street to Sherlock Street of the demolition of the outer walls. Part of the road is closed off, and only the section the bus travelled along was open.

This wall hasn't come down yet.

Barford Street is fully reopened where it was coned / fenced off last time.

No Entry sign. Days are numbered.

has the fish market gone? i love my 2 pound bag of whelks on a sat, chomping while watchin tv

Last edited:
They moved the Wholesale Market to Witton.

Should still be able to get fish in the Indoor Market! Or at your local supermarket.

Back