• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

The Moat - Moat Row & Moat Lane

brumgum

Proud to be a Brummie!
This is a picture of Moat Lane By Birmingham artist Colin Gabbidon...
cge4.jpg

the moat was infilled in 1816 and the site then turned into smithfield wholesale market until rebuilding in 1974..during archaeological brief this remarkably well preserved section of moat revetment wall was uncovered along with the remains of substantial sandstone buildings within the island..

i beleive that if the markets get the go ahead for demolision the moat will be once again escavated in more detail...i am keeping my ears and eyes open on this one...

img677.jpg

I have seen this picture before and great to have it posted again. I wonder what it is that can be seen and never thought that the moat would have been lined with brick around. Anyway, if you go on GE and draw a line from the corner of New Street and High Street and down by the side of St Martins steeple...both can be seen in the above picture... then compare with the orientation of the brickwork in the picture and it might be that this is the bridge across the moat that was at about the end of Bradford Street.

thanks for that info rupert and you can be sure that if the moat does come to light again i shall be there with me nose blacked...

lyn

A 1968 Phyllis Nicklin view of the site of the moat. Moat Row to the left and Moat Lane to the right, Drovers Arms on the corner to the right. Photo taken from Bradford Street. Viv.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1327939340.099858.jpg

Rupert
I think the bricks were fairly near the surface and were probably the bricks at the base of the old smithfield market the angle of view would be something like below

PS/ Coppermine seems to be working for me nowView attachment 72967

It's hard to imagine the scale of the moat now that it's all been developed around the area, but it surrounded a circular island 70 metres across, the moat varying in width from 8m to 30m. The moat and the parsonage were also connected by a watercourse. This drawing from 1814 gives a partial impression of the house and moat. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1327947041.980678.jpg

I get a bit of a different result using GE Mike. I started from the other side of the Rotunda and skimmed the Steeple and arrived at a point close to the end of Bradford Street. Which is where the bridge must have been. I took it that the structure was in fact remains of the moat but I suppose this could be wrong. It seemed that the angle of the run of brickwork was about right for the bridge but who knows. Ignore the other siteline...I do this all the time and leave the lines on. You have the bridge on that view Viv and the view would be from Moat Row.
You know what though...those bricks do look familiar and the Nicklin picture street level Smithfield bricks might be right.

Attachments

• Moat site line.jpg
    Moat site line.jpg
    390.1 KB · Views: 72
I didn't realise the moat was that wide - or hadn't thought about it I guess. Would be good to see it if the planned excavations go ahead.
Sue

Sue much wider than deep by all acocounts. When it was excavated in 2000 they claimed it was only 2.5 metres deep! Seems very shallow considereing how wide it was in parts. But maybe that was enough of an obstacle. Viv.

sorry horsencart i cant view that link..all i get is a black square with a pink and blue dot on..will keep trying..

lyn

Morning Lyn. you might need to give it a bit of time to load. I got that too. But it's well worth the wait! Viv.

Moat Row livestock market C1900.Farmer appears to be milking a horse, LOL.Moss

Attachments

• IMG_0001.jpg
    IMG_0001.jpg
    612.2 KB · Views: 57
Two photos from the Historic England archives of Moat Lane. They look around the early 1900s. Viv.

image.jpeg image.jpeg

Added to the thread title Lyn as a search doesn't seem to pick this up very well. Pity as there's so much of interest around the moat area. Viv.

i agree viv...i often look at the pic i posted on post 1 and hope that when the market goes there will be another excavation of the moat...

Hope so Lyn.

Apparently there were two moats: the Lord of the Manor's Moat (or Birmingham Moat) and the smaller Parsonage Moat. They're both shown on Westley's 1731 map, the first moat going back to the days of Peter de Birmingham's castle. It's also thought a moat probably existed at the Parsonage Moat position at that time too. Viv

thank for that info viv...keeping my ears open on the moat and also when the fox and grapes is demolished could be another dig there as well

Viv

This is what looks like a painting of the Manor House and moat, I've also included a section of Joseph Hill's 1553 map showing both the Manor House moat and the Rectory moat included the extensive water management needed to feed these moats and millponds.

Attachments

• City Bull Ring Moat Lane.jpg
    City Bull Ring Moat Lane.jpg
    177 KB · Views: 48
  • manor house & rectory.jpg
    manor house & rectory.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 48
Has the name Holme Park survived anywhere on current maps, Viv? It's a new one on me.

Maurice

Dugdale's Antiquities of Warwickshire (1656) shows Holme Park in the foreground in the image below. Don't think there are any references in the modern streets/places although did wonder if Park Street refers back to it. (But think Park Street might be more north-east of Holme Park and might have been named after Little/Over Park - another of the Lord of the Manor's hunting grounds).

Holme Park remained open countryside until the 18th century. Viv.

image.jpeg

I think, (dangerous at my age) I have asked this before, but I lived on MOAT LANE in Yardley. for many years. Why was this named so? There was a park across the street could this have been a moat at one time. I wonder?

Back