• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Demolition of Wholesale Market

Some Upper Dean Street views in better weather. Just piles of rubble!

Total Produce / GP Salads

Moat Lane Car Park from the back.

Towards Pershore Street Car Park.

Fish & Poultry

I sort of remember where the wholesale market is, but only going back to the city centre about 6 times a year max in the 80's, I can't remember anything else in the pics,

I do feel for you all seeing Birmingham changing again, it is sad to see. I really hope that the change will be for the better like the new library which is really nice, but of course that is just my opinion.

Views from the no 35 bus from Barford Street to Sherlock Street of the demolition of the outer walls. Part of the road is closed off, and only the section the bus travelled along was open.

This wall hasn't come down yet.

Barford Street is fully reopened where it was coned / fenced off last time.

No Entry sign. Days are numbered.

has the fish market gone? i love my 2 pound bag of whelks on a sat, chomping while watchin tv

Last edited:
They moved the Wholesale Market to Witton.

Should still be able to get fish in the Indoor Market! Or at your local supermarket.

Headed down Dean Street after getting of a bus on Upper Dean Street and saw this view of a No Entry sign.

There is a view of Selfridges I've seen from the bus, but the visibility out of the no 35 window wasn't too good after the rain. Was dry by the time I got to the city centre, later rain spells after I left.

i used to go to the wholesale market many years ago with my sister who had a flower and plant stall in the bull ring...used to help her out sometimes...lovely atmosphere

lyn

View towards the Bullring over the Smithfield site. Taken from Barford Street through a gate. I'm not sure when this Smithfield development is due to start. First time walking around Southside and Digbeth in 4 months of lockdown (can go on the bus again).

2 years to go to the Commonwealth Games and they plan to have Beach Volleyball here. Upper Dean Street views.

And Basketball

More about it on the Commonwealth Games web site here

Here was the Beach Volleyball court from the 2018 games in Australia.

Very similar !

Beach.jpg

Last edited:
thanks ell...hope they get a move on then because as i understand it a further archaeological excavation will be required before the new “Smithfield” development takes place...actually i will email someone who will know about this...

lyn

thanks ell...hope they get a move on then because as i understand it a further archaeological excavation will be required before the new “Smithfield” development takes place...actually i will email someone who will know about this...

If these sports arenas are going to be built for the 2022 games it seems we wont be seeing any progress on the Smithfield development before then which is a little sad.

However with the current pandemic, and the world wide financial situation, I wonder when the Smithfield development WILL start ! A couple of years ago there was talk of it being a 10 or 15 year project for the whole site.

Last edited:
Was easier to get from Upper Dean Street, and didn't want to walk around to Barford Street as was heading into town earlier.

I always thought it (Beach Volleyball) might be in Victoria Square in front of the Council House.

Back