• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Cregoe Street

lisa is only a guest on the forum now so unless she rejoins will not be able to reply

lyn

Thanks to Vivienne for sending me the link to this thread. It just fills out your imagination as how your relatives lived. They lived in Back of Cregoe Street. not sure what this means but if they were back to back houses maybe back was not on the street side!

Thomas Autoramus Steel Mallet.( Interesting handle )A public house manager of 10,Cregoe St,in 1908.No.10 appears to be a house.He is not shown as licensee for any of the four public houses in Cregoe St at the time.Woodman No 24, Lamp No 88. Shakeperian Bar 101 or the Falcon 131. Can’t help wondering where he was manager,his plans for going on the Titanic and if there is a story behind the name.Maybe someone has heard of him before and knows the above and possibly more ?

Attachments

• 04B6A6F7-5219-47DD-A59D-D44621958A08.jpeg
    04B6A6F7-5219-47DD-A59D-D44621958A08.jpeg
    720.6 KB · Views: 11
Thomas Autoramus Steel Mallet.( Interesting handle )A public house manager of 10,Cregoe St,in 1908.No.10 appears to be a house.He is not shown as licensee for any of the four public houses in Cregoe St at the time.Woodman No 24, Lamp No 88. Shakeperian Bar 101 or the Falcon 131. Can’t help wondering where he was manager,his plans for going on the Titanic and if there is a story behind the name.Maybe someone has heard of him before and knows the above and possibly more ?
interesting snippet oldun....my gt grandparents and grandmother would have lived in cregoe st at the time of the article

lyn

That’s an interesting coincidence.By No.10 by any chance ? Maybe someone will come up with a link to your family ! Ps. I realise there will have been beerhouses and other outlets and of course the pub could have been in another street,and it does say manager not licensee.

That’s an interesting coincidence.By No.10 by any chance ? Maybe someone will come up with a link to your family ! Ps. I realise there will have been beerhouses and other outlets and of course the pub could have been in another street,and it does say manager not licensee.
my family were at 5 back of 47 old un so not a million miles away

lyn

Thank you Janice.Looks like the paper may have made a slight alteration and the name has an interesting different spelling.Autoramus seems to be a phonetic interpretation,but the original is interesting.

Lyn,your folks could well have known the Mallets.Same shop,pub,all close enough.Always good to imagine these things,well nearly always.

Lyn,your folks could well have known the Mallets.Same shop,pub,all close enough.Always good to imagine these things,well nearly always.
i agree oldun....a very good chance my folks knew the mallets...nice to think so

lyn

My grandparents were there in 1910 my mother was born there in 1919 no 7/48 Bunting. Her sister Jess, married name Plested lived there until they were demolished in the early 60s

A couple of photos which I think may be new to the forum one shows the top end of Cregoe Street near to Bath Row, taken toward the end of the 50's I would imagine. The other shows the Woodman public house at the corner of Cregoe St & Irving Street shortly before it was demolished in 1961 (I think).
Wonder if anyone can help me, my Mum said the doctors on Cregoe street delivered her in 1941. My mum’s grandfather had a grocers on Cregoe street before the war (Howletts.) and my grandfather and grandmother lived in a house on Elvetham road. the house was bombed out in the war whilst my gran was evacuating in the country. I think my maternal grandmother and grandfather moved out of Cregoe street area when they were married to a then new build in Quinton. My Grandmother was called Florence, I think her mum was called Clara and my Nan and great aunt Dora went to school at St Thomas. I wonder if anyone remembers Howletts grocers and has any pictures? I’ve searched but not a lot has come up. My paternal grandfather worked at Davenports as an engineer when he was first married and used to pop into Bradshaws at lunch to look at the clothes! Thanks so much ,

Aaah, the doctors surgery side door next to the brassfounders - went through that door a few times in my youth - Drs Colston & Lawcett, I recall.
I posted this elsewhere but my mum said Dr Lawcett delivered her she was born in 1941 and the Dr went all the way out to Quinton to attend the birth as my grandparents had moved out there by then! ( wouldn’t happen nowadays, ha!)

John Wilfred & Mary Jane Howlett , daughters Florence May and Dorothy Irene, and Florence's husband, Frank Young,are listed at 17 Elvetham Road in 1939.

Daughter Gladys Jeannie (McDonald) and son in law are listed at 27 Cregoe St.

Dora Mary and her husband, Gerard Delaney, are listed at 245 Monument Road.

A final daughter, Ida Lilian b1907 died young in 1908.

John is listed as a Fruiterer on the 1911 census.

Last edited:
John Wilfred & Mary Jane Howlett , daughters Florence May and Dorothy Irene, and Florence's husband, Frank Young,are listed at 17 Elvetham Road in 1939.

Daughter Gladys Jeannie (McDonald) and son in law are listed at 27 Cregoe St.

Dora Mary and her husband, Gerard Delaney, are listed at 245 Monument Road.

A final daughter, Ida Lilian b1907 died young in 1908.

John is listed as a Fruiterer on the 1911 census.
I could kiss you!,, thanks so much

Below is a map c1950 with the approximate area I think was covered by the bungalows marked out in red

View attachment 157039
I was born at No.9 Cregoe Street in January 1951, my brother David was born at No 8 Cregoe Street in 1948 at that time my Grandparents lived at No 8, Walter and Ellen Wakelam, my parents Dennis and Barbara Wakelam. My grandmothers sister (Ellen’s sister) Clara and her husband Jack Potter lived at the other side of the entry at No 7 these houses were rented from the Doctor at the top of Cregoe Street. The houses were three floored, a kitchen, small dining area and a front parlour, a bedroom on the second floor, another on the third and another in the attic. Also the houses had coal cellars. all three of us went to St.Thomas’s school, I loved it there. We moved out in 1961 as the houses were to be demolished.

Postie put a 1940s photo of Bradshaws (drapery and hardware), Cregoe Street at the beginning of this thread with a caption telling us it would soon disappear. By 1958, sadly as predicted, it had closed down. There was plenty of interest at the closing down sale. In Postie's photo, Bradshaws seem to have had premises on both sides of the road, so it was a significant business in Cregoe Street which must have been missed. Viv.

Screenshot_20230225_161447_Chrome.jpg

• Appreciate
Reactions: MWS
Postie put a 1940s photo of Bradshaws (drapery and hardware), Cregoe Street at the beginning of this thread with a caption telling us it would soon disappear. By 1958, sadly as predicted, it had closed down. There was plenty of interest at the closing down sale. In Postie's photo, Bradshaws seem to have had premises on both sides of the road, so it was a significant business in Cregoe Street which must have been missed. Viv.

View attachment 179376
Either the date given for the photo was a little early,, or the firm was using the now well tied tactic of having "closing down sales" when they were not closing down. The shops (122,123,124,125 and separate no 21) are both listed in the 1950, 1nd 1955 Kellys (though in 1946 it was only the larger store).

map showing ~Bradshaws stores in cregoe st.jpg

I see your point Mike. Looking at the photo in post #2 it could well be later, maybe early 1950s. Maybe someone can date the earliest possible date from the vehicles ? Viv.

I have been looking into my Nans past, and have just found out she was living at 3 Back, 49 Cregoe Place, Cregoe Street, Birmingham in 1915, when her father was called up to the Worcester Regiment. I know very very little about housing at this time, but going by what else I have found out, I am assuming this was a going to be poor housing.Tenement? Can anyone enlighten me or show me where to look. The internet is great, but you still have to have a rough idea where to look sometimes. Are there any photo archives in Brum anywhere?The family name was Welch.Thanks, Lisa. Black-Country-through-and-through - just happen to live 300 miles away now!
I have been looking in my past too and in 1956 for a few years I was3. Or 4yrs we lived at 47 Cregoe st our name was Williams I know at the back of us were the Clark’s and next to us the Woollies

Thank you for this fascinating thread and images/maps. Ancestors of mine lived at both no 31 and no 42 Cregoe Street in 1851 and 61 respectively. Can anyone position these properties overlaid on the maps shown above please? Can those maps be referenced, so I might find them (either online or library)? Finally, were those addresses Court houses (i.e. at the rear, or on the street frontage)? No Court number was noticed on the Census returns.
I recently paid a visit to Cregoe Street, from my home now several hundred miles away. I stood in front of the modern counterparts but sadly, I suspect not the original location of the addresses of my ancestors. Any help into when these houses were constructed also much appreciated.

Hi

Ive put a few on

Mike Jenks
HI Mike Do you know what the tower in the rear left of one of these images please? Visiting recently it looks as potentially part of a (bombed?) church or memorial? Situated at the top of Cregoe St. Do you have any details please?

The church tower is St Thomas's in Bath Row. The peace garden is there and includes the collonade memorial for WW1 that was previously in Broad St . The 1880s maps are available at https://maps.nls.uk/geo/explore/#zoom=18.0&lat=52.47233&lon=-1.90582&layers=117746211&b=1
No 42 does not seem to exist on the 1880s map, and presumably has been demolished. Number 31 is shown, together with nos 39 and 44 to enable you to estimate where 42 was

map c 1889 cregoe st showing 31 , 39 and 44.jpg

HI Mike Do you know what the tower in the rear left of one of these images please? Visiting recently it looks as potentially part of a (bombed?) church or memorial? Situated at the top of Cregoe St. Do you have any details please?
Only the front and possible entrance of St Thomas’ remains, my grandmother was married there before it was bombed

The church tower is St Thomas's in Bath Row. The peace garden is there and includes the collonade memorial for WW1 that was previously in Broad St . The 1880s maps are available at https://maps.nls.uk/geo/explore/#zoom=18.0&lat=52.47233&lon=-1.90582&layers=117746211&b=1
No 42 does not seem to exist on the 1880s map, and presumably has been demolished. Number 31 is shown, together with nos 39 and 44 to enable you to estimate where 42 was

View attachment 186936
HI Mike, Thank you for your speedy and detailed reply. This is really helpful. And now I realise I stood in completely the wrong place! I shall have to make another visit. :)

Back