• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Cregoe Street

vivs photo on post 35 does not seem to be showing so here it is again at least i think its the one...

cregoe st.jpg

I was born at No.9 Cregoe Street in January 1951, my brother David was born at No 8 Cregoe Street in 1948 at that time my Grandparents lived at No 8, Walter and Ellen Wakelam, my parents Dennis and Barbara Wakelam. My grandmothers sister (Ellen’s sister) Clara and her husband Jack Potter lived at the other side of the entry at No 7 these houses were rented from the Doctor at the top of Cregoe Street. The houses were three floored, a kitchen, small dining area and a front parlour, a bedroom on the second floor, another on the third and another in the attic. Also the houses had coal cellars. all three of us went to St.Thomas’s school, I loved it there. We moved out in 1961 as the houses were to be demolished.
My grandfather Arnold Benson was born in Cregoe St, number 36 in 1882. His mother was a French dressmaker I don't know how she came to Birmingham or why. I don't know who fathered my grandfather, although he has the name Benson which his mother was using. Later she met Sidney Price who fathered other children with her and then married her. If anyone on this site has anything they think may help my search I would be very grateful.
Thanks for all your stories and info on this site.

I have so many happy memories of life in Cregoe Street, our address was B15 Edgbaston, not Ladywood. We didn’t have a lot but what we had was appreciated, family was everything. In our yard were gardens were my grandfather grew carnations and all sorts of flowers. My Uncle Potter (no 7) had an allotment in Wheelers Road Edgbaston, which backed on to the canal, as kids we used to climb up and it was like being on holiday, green grass and wildlife on the canal. My uncle grew all his veggies and blackcurrants gooseberries redcurrants, cucumbers and tomatoes under glass, it was like a breath of fresh air. The allotment was entered through a door in a high wall. On Sundays we used to get a tram up to the lickey hills and spend hours on the beacon, mum used to collect bilberries on the steep hill, which is now overgrown with trees, she used to make bilberry pie, all good memories. Does anyone else remember the Wakelam family. On our yard we had Mr Mrs Green, and Mrs Clutterbuck. All the houses in our yard were empty by the end of 1961 when we all had to move out as they were demolishing the houses. We moved to Hall Green.

I have so many happy memories of life in Cregoe Street, our address was B15 Edgbaston, not Ladywood. We didn’t have a lot but what we had was appreciated, family was everything. In our yard were gardens were my grandfather grew carnations and all sorts of flowers. My Uncle Potter (no 7) had an allotment in Wheelers Road Edgbaston, which backed on to the canal, as kids we used to climb up and it was like being on holiday, green grass and wildlife on the canal. My uncle grew all his veggies and blackcurrants gooseberries redcurrants, cucumbers and tomatoes under glass, it was like a breath of fresh air. The allotment was entered through a door in a high wall. On Sundays we used to get a tram up to the lickey hills and spend hours on the beacon, mum used to collect bilberries on the steep hill, which is now overgrown with trees, she used to make bilberry pie, all good memories. Does anyone else remember the Wakelam family. On our yard we had Mr Mrs Green, and Mrs Clutterbuck. All the houses in our yard were empty by the end of 1961 when we all had to move out as they were demolishing the houses. We moved to Hall Green.
what lovely memories chris...it just goes to show that we dont have to live in the country side to have a taste of it...we grew up in villa st and had a large back garden...6 children but somehow we never went without..dad used to grow veggies in the back garden and for some reason rhubarb in our little front garden...my gt grandparents lived in a back house in cregoe st

lyn

Back