• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Cregoe Street

B

bmantell

Hi

One of my ancestors, Charles MANTELL, opened a chemists shop at No. 21 from the early 1850s and it stayed until the 1920s. I was looking at Cregoe Street on Google Earth and it has, obviously, been completely redeveloped so I wondered if anyone had a photo of the street before that happened.

Waiting with bated breath. :D

Bernard

Cregoe st 1940s
Lost photo replaced, though may not be original one
bradshaws shop cregoe st.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi
Amazing Photographs of Cregoe Street. Carl's article in Saturday's Mail
showing Bradshaw's and Cregoe Street set me off.
I worked part time at 2 Gaywood Croft as an assistant Youth Leader
from 1966 to 1971.
Many hours in the Gym and the Sports Field at the Top. I think the Sports
Field is Still there.
It was Known as the Ernest Mason's Boys Club then.
Eric Davey and Terry Hopkins were the Youth Leader then.
All the best to everybody

Mike

er mason boys club

was doing some geneology research and came across cregoe street as a possible address, put in a search and found this site, not only that but I then find that I actually worked out of E R Mason Boys club in the early eighties on a government sponsored scheme. Not been back to Brum for some years now so am glad to keep up with the changes

Another Photo

My mother was born in Cregoe Street in 1918. the Street was named after Frind Cregoe. Family name Johnstone.

Of interst to Robert

The photo was taken at around the time of your Mothers birth, has (1919 on the back).

Unfortuately I'm not sure of the number of the house for my Mothers birth (18/05/1918) but it was probably 22Ct 74 Cregro St.Ladywood where the family were two months before. A year later on the 15/03 1919 the family address was 7/108 Cregro Street. At the time my Grandfather, James Percy Johnstone was in the Army and in digs with his future wife Emma Siddall and Aunt Lizzie (thought to be Eliabeth Sidall born 1852 in Sheffield).. It was to this address he was invalided out before he rejoined and went back to the front. When the family moved around 1920 to 130 Clifton Road, Balsall Heath Aunt Lizzie came with them. She later moved to the Alms Houses in Conybere Street.

cregoe street

I have a photo of my Father,he is in uniform, first world war. On the back of the photo someone has written 3/47 Cregoe St. Ladywood, i'm not sure if that was the photographers address or he lived there at some time. It was nice to see a photo of the street

hello
my great grandfather was born in cregoe in 1857
was wondering if anbody had any information on the area about that time
many thanx
celia

How atmospheric your photo is, Robert. Thank you for posting. I watch this thread with interest as I had family living at 119 in 1861.
I had thought that it would be easy to place the exact location of the photo in relation to Cregoe St given the curve and the junctions shown, but after examining the Alan Godfrey map of Central Birmingham 1902-1911 ref 1405, a 1945 map and a 1970s map I am none the wiser. The road looks straight on my maps although it is possible that we can see Irving St curving off. Has anybody with greater knowledge than mine any ideas?

The 1851 map on the mapseeker site shows the same straight road shortly after it was built (I thought it might have had some changes early on), as does the 1890 1:500 scale map (bottom half). I don't feel that the O.S mapmakers can be that much off. It is a very good and interesting picture, but i don't see how it could be Cregoe st.
Mike

Cregoe Street in 1951-2

Cregoe Street in 1951-2.jpg

Hi
Amazing Photographs of Cregoe Street. Carl's article in Saturday's Mail
showing Bradshaw's and Cregoe Street set me off.
I worked part time at 2 Gaywood Croft as an assistant Youth Leader
from 1966 to 1971.
Many hours in the Gym and the Sports Field at the Top. I think the Sports
Field is Still there.
It was Known as the Ernest Mason's Boys Club then.
Eric Davey and Terry Hopkins were the Youth Leader then.
All the best to everybody

Mike

Hi Mike,
You've stirred some memories for me! Spent many happy hours at the boys club during the late 60s and early 70s during Terry's time as leader.
Some great camping trips to Wales in the Land Rovers.
Myself and my friend Gordon Fullard were commissioned (well we insisted actually) to paint the wall murals upstairs at the club. There was a moonscape (complete with fluorescent orange lamppost), mushroom (with weird b&w optical framing) on the stair wall and, scattered around various places, lots of silhouettes of club members standing/leaning. Really wish we had taken some photo's of those murals. Ho hum. No great art but now no more than a memory.
Then there was building the DJ booth so we could have our "heavy and progressive" discos...
The list goes on, just loads of happy memories, and a more useful education than I ever got at school.
Cheers
Steve

I have been looking into my Nans past, and have just found out she was living at 3 Back, 49 Cregoe Place, Cregoe Street, Birmingham in 1915, when her father was called up to the Worcester Regiment. I know very very little about housing at this time, but going by what else I have found out, I am assuming this was a going to be poor housing.Tenement? Can anyone enlighten me or show me where to look. The internet is great, but you still have to have a rough idea where to look sometimes. Are there any photo archives in Brum anywhere?The family name was Welch.Thanks, Lisa. Black-Country-through-and-through - just happen to live 300 miles away now!

I recently became involved with the family of Roy Taylor, a birmingham author who has recently died. He has written three bookks about growing up in the area. They are brilliant. Here is one of his poems.
Bell Barn
I was born in Bell Barn, a road said to be tough,
I admit that Bell Barners were a little bit rough
But if you hadn't a penny and were down on your luck
There would always be someone to lift you back up.
Every cat with a tail you knew was a stranger,
Every kid in the street was a Ragged .... Ranger .
We'd get all our clothes from down the Rag Alley
Or the bloke from the Provident on a bob-a-week tally. -
Bradshaws, a shop not far from our school
Was indeed the only exception to the rule,
If ever you needed the odd shirt or vest
They were certainly cheap, though far from the best.
Davenports Beer had a yard in the road
Where they dumped crates, load after load,
We pinched 'em for firewood, plankcarts and chairs,
Dog kennels and repairing our rickety stairs.
The Queens Arms just opposite one thirty six
Each Saturday night was like ten sixty six,
It took only one bobby to sort out the show
Not like today where they don't want to know.
There stands a tree on the spot I was born
But the magic has gone, the street looks forlorn.
Square boxes with windows now stand there instead,
All that I loved in my Bell Barn is dead.

Used to use the Ernest mason club myself in the early 70's, wa a pupil at Lea Mason, before that i was a pupil at St Catherines Junior and infant.

My Dad was born in Cregoe Street in 1941 (David Hooper) and went to St Thomas school. I have a picture of his Dad (my Grandad) and wanted to post it somewhere with reference to Cregoe Street. Ive been on Digital Ladywood but cant seem to add any pictures. Any help appreciated.

Justin

hi justin you are in luck...because of my interest in cregoe st i have 4 pics of it which i will post shortly...my gt grandparents both lived and sadly died only 1 day apart in november 1908 aged just 34 and 27 leaving 3 very young children orphans...they lived at no 5 court 9...

lyn

Hi

Ive put a few on

Mike Jenks

Attachments

• cregoe st.jpg
    cregoe st.jpg
    26.1 KB · Views: 152
  • cregoe2.jpg
    cregoe2.jpg
    27.4 KB · Views: 139
  • cregoe4.jpg
    cregoe4.jpg
    32.4 KB · Views: 147
great pics mike....here are the ones i have...

cregoe st dated 1920...pic 3 dated 1950s

1920CregroStA.jpgcregoest1950s.jpgcregpest2.jpg

smashing pic carolina..just noticed that that stretch of houses is called cregoe terrace...those houses look quite nice not exactly falling down are they..shame...

lyn

Last edited:
cregoe09.jpganother one of cregoe st looking very forlorn...no date but would think the 60s during demolision...

pic courtesy of carl chinn

lyn

Thank you very much, Lyn. Based on another photo description that I have seen that looks a lot like the east side about 1961ish.

no probs shirl...yes i would go along with that date...a kellys look up on the rowleys shop on the corner should determine if its east side..

lyn

mike if you spot this post i wonder could i ask for a map please marking out where 9 court 5 cregoe st was please..this was where my gt grandparents died just one day apart in 1908 aged 27 and 34 leaving 3 orphaned daughters the youngest was my gran just 8 months old..

many thanks mike..

lyn

Back