• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

computer help

My experience is the same a devonjim's I've been with talktalk and their predecessors since the outset and it's always worked, however you need to be aware that ALL the broadband companies are aiming to take a bigger bite of the cherry in April so it will be a challenge to find a better deal until after then.
If you read the small print on the bottom of their TV adverts you will see e.g. rising by CPI + 3.8% in April so I guess after that it will be time to shop around again.
What is sad that the technology to generate Wi-Fi continues to reduce its cost. I get the CPI but this is a standard pricing model, take it up fast for whatever reason and down almost never. They basically force you to switch providers if you want to do anything with cost!

I am with TalkTalk and was with AOL before TalkTalk took over, this has been so for twenty years. Service has been good on the few occasions that I have need it. I also use my landline with them. Judging by the tv offers being made, by all and sundry, I would appear to be on a good price. I have fibre but not the fastest version as I have no need for that.
I did look at PlusNet about but I didn't care for the small print in their terms.
A good friend was a BT employee, a fairly senior position held by him, he is also with TalkTalk. He wouldn't touch BT with the proverbial bargepole - neither would I.

Thanks everyone for the information. I've been with BT since I first went on the internet and I'm living proof that loyalty to one provider (particularly BT) does not pay. It seems that the best bet is to be a continual new customer. Start a contract and at the end of it change to someone else and get the low 'new customer prices' which hold for the contract period subject to CPI and 3.8% increases. Where I live, they all use the same fibre and copper wire maintained by OpenReach.

Thanks everyone for the information. I've been with BT since I first went on the internet and I'm living proof that loyalty to one provider (particularly BT) does not pay. It seems that the best bet is to be a continual new customer. Start a contract and at the end of it change to someone else and get the low 'new customer prices' which hold for the contract period subject to CPI and 3.8% increases. Where I live, they all use the same fibre and copper wire maintained by OpenReach.
As they say you need to be your own best friend!

Anyone use TalkTalk for broadband and find them satisfactory?
I've used BT broadband for many years but seem to be paying a 'loyalty penalty'. Technically they are reliable but I'm nearing the end of a 2 year contract and want a significant price reduction. If I don't get one I'm moving.
I've been with them for years moved home twice never had an issue with a transfer and always had a rock solid connection, as have my two children.

I'm on Fibre 900, comes with the Eero Pro 6 mesh system,download speeds come in around 950 and an up speed of around 115 and the wifi covers all the house and the garden. Cost is £49 a month for the fibre 900 and £39 if you go for the fibre 500.

Bit of a PS, my daughter has the fibre 500 two children so typically she'll be streaming, grandson will be gaming and granddaughter play something or vid chatting with mates and its all fast and smooth, in reality I don't need the fibre 900 and will drop to fibre 500 when my contract is up for renewal.

I`ve just bought a new pc & i`m trying to install Classic Shell. I`ve downloaded shell for windows 11 but it won`t install.? I have it on my old windows 10. Is there any way i can transfer it from old pc to new pc?

I`ve just bought a new pc & i`m trying to install Classic Shell. I`ve downloaded shell for windows 11 but it won`t install.? I have it on my old windows 10. Is there any way i can transfer it from old pc to new pc?
I don't use either Classic Shell or Open Shell (which has apparently replaced it) but this is the download site for Open Shell
https://open-shell.github.io/Open-Shell-Menu/
and this is a page about making adjustments if it doesn't work

My Dell Laptop screen has started to go blank on a regular basis which is somewhat annoying.

Has anyone else experienced something similar and how could i sort out the issue?

many thanks AnnS...

When the screen goes blank does it come back on by itself or do you have to do something?

It could be a problem with the graphics driver. You could try opening Device Manager (and then scroll down to Display Adaptors, right click and get Properties and see if the driver can be updated or rolled back.

You can get good advice on this website
I often found good info when I previously used Windows 10. You don't need to join ... just need to search for problems with displays.

It could be overheating. Make sure the vents are free of dust. Or a loose connection between the base and the screen.

If a screen-inactivity-timer has been set, a touch on any key or a mouse click would bring the screen back on. If the return key needs to be pressed to get screen back on this suggests it could be a driver problem which is not so serious as a hardware problem.

I had this problem recently when Windows 11 updated my graphics driver and my screen occasionally went black. I did get a partial cure by resetting my display adapter which kept the screen on until the laptop was switched off. I avoided switching off by just closing the lid to get 'hibernation'.

I reset using the 'four finger key press'.
With 3 fingers, hold down
Windows key
Ctrl key
Shift key
and use 4th finger to press the B key
The screen will go black and maybe flicker, the computer beeps, the display adapter resets and the screen comes back on. I've just tested this on my Dell Inspiron 5770 laptop.

I eventually had to download old drivers from Intel's website which was not easy. They have since sorted out their latest Win 11 drivers and all is now ok ... for me!

I have done a re-set which has solved another problem i was having but not the blank screen.

I note your suggestions and will have a look into various avenues and see if i can resolve,
many thanks for your guidance.

AnnS

You could try the sfc /scannow check in Windows Admin terminal which would check system files for integrity and repairs any damaged ones. Also a clean reinstall of Windows 10 might solve the problem subject to how you file your data and images etc.
If you previously had Win 11 in you laptop it must have secure boot and TPM and perhaps another try with Win 11 might be worthwhile. I personally find it superior to Win 10 but I suppose it is a matter of opinion ... :)

My new pc is running w11 & i`m not very keen, so, can i revert back to w10, is it simple & would i lose any files etc. ? TIA.

You could try the sfc /scannow check in Windows Admin terminal which would check system files for integrity and repairs any damaged ones. Also a clean reinstall of Windows 10 might solve the problem subject to how you file your data and images etc.
If you previously had Win 11 in you laptop it must have secure boot and TPM and perhaps another try with Win 11 might be worthwhile. I personally find it superior to Win 10 but I suppose it is a matter of opinion ... :)
I have been using Win 11 for about 6 to 7 months now and quite like it! Not sure I would have changed just to change but the new computer came with it.

My new pc is running w11 & i`m not very keen, so, can i revert back to w10, is it simple & would i lose any files etc. ? TIA.
If you want to downgrade from Windows 11 to Windows 10 the site link below shows one way of doing it.
There is usually an option to keep existing data and files but I would back them up to be safe and then reload. If they are on a different drive (not c) or partition they should be ok, but best to back them up and reload if necessary.

Just out of interest ... what is it you don't like about Windows 11? I find it better, more secure, and looks nicer!

My bank has sent me a otpc but i`ve just about to check only to find my sms icon has disappeared from my phone. I`ve checked apps & it says installed. Disabled is greyed out which leaves force stop. Any ideas?

Microsoft edge not working. Frozen. Can't delete cache. Repair doesn't work. On pad can't see what typing, screen is all advert.
Any help please.

Have now managed to download Firefox - which is a little slow - so at least I'm back on laptop.

Last edited:
Microsoft edge not working. Frozen. Can't delete cache. Repair doesn't work. On pad can't see what typing, screen is all advert.
Any help please.

Have now managed to download Firefox - which is a little slow - so at least I'm back on laptop.
The screen all advert is what seems to be happening as a result of the work waren is doing.

• Appreciate
Reactions: MWS
Is there a X at the top right hand corner of the advert, perhaps very faint. If so, then clicking on it might get rid of that infection (though another may come back later

• Appreciate
Reactions: MWS
Back