• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Coalman

Re: coal merchants

kenning

kenning & riley coal merchants of saltley 1960s

I remember old lils coal yard where you get your coal and pat i shilling for hireing the barrow and bring it back you got your money back this was in church lane aston by the lichfield rd church lane was at the junction of victoriw rd and lichfield rd and across from park rd and facing the vine pub
have a nice day every body best wishes astonian ;;

I am also seeking information on Coal merchants of birmingham, namely the Fawke Family who were coal merchants connected with highgate coal wharf and lived in Queen street/Studley Street Balsall heath

My Family was coal merchants living in Studley Street , Balsall heath, during the depression of the 30's many families could not afford a sack of coal so the 2 brothers Harry and Thomas at the end of the day used to wrap up lumps in newspaper and give it to the poorest.
The story goes on to tell that the lumps given away had fallen out of the sacks whilst being taken off the wagon into the houses that could afford it.The coalmen may have been hard characters but they also had a soft side too.

From (and possibly before) 1918 to (and possibly after) 1939 William Henry Bishop is listed on the electoral rolls at 7 Charles Edward Road.
Mikejee, Thanks for your input, Lloyd found him. Len.

I found a C Fawke, coal merchant, 1 Pembroke Rd, in 1962

Hi
I would be very interested in hearing more about C fawke the coal merchant, where is pembroke road? as I could not locate it on multi map.

In my old Wakelin's Street Guide there is a Pembroke Road, near 69 Brighton Road, Balsall Heath, Birmingham.12

I'm from the Weaver family of coalmen in Gladstone Street Aston. Grew up with the smell of horse muck, sweat and coal tar in my nostrils. Bombed in the war and still have many lovely memories of Aston before the war. Now, sitting in Autralia, I can sit back and smile. Regards, David Weaver.

Hi kmt123
i also know john tustin and the family very well for years
i bumped into some of the tustins last year down at studley car boot
i reckonised them straight away since we was kids
i cannot remember whom brought my old ladys coal but i to had to count the bags as dropped down the hole i remember the goodridges from
sheep cote street ladywood they had the wharf by what is now the icc
centre where one of the nia car parking is now he had a lovely big house down selly park area i think it was greenland rd selly park ;
best wishes astonian ,;;

i remember goodriches from Rupert st wharf,and a girl i went out with,s dad worked for them (Gilbert his name was first name)
you were 5 minuets form me when you were at the carboot studley.
regards dereklcg

hi derek
do you go regular at studley car boot , i tendto go go there quite often
during the season i go as a seller its prety good for making cash its up and running on the 20 th april of next month i have noticed its really does well with punters and the crowds are bigger than ever i used to travel to hams hall which is massive I,ve always
said you can sell your house at hams hall which is still running now but i will wait for studley next month there is alot of the birmingham people now
that used to do the meat market in the bull ring [ ar boot one] buts its gone off now
but any way tustins come every couple of months and sells as well
one of the tustins daughter lives in studley as well he was telling me ,so i will see old tustin when he comes next month we have a laugh about some of the characters
we both know from the past and winson green area
have a nice day dekrek speak again soon best wishes astonian ,;;

Nice to here from you Astonian, not that often it,s big and get,s bigger in the summer, we have done a few there. on a Wednesday there is one in evesham and Thursday bidford good ones,in redditch on a Sunday there is one at arrow actions by the halford warehouse,while they wait for the better weather it,s all on concrete some indoors.
regards Derek

hi derek
i went to bidford once only and i did not like it i made some money but the truth was i also lost abit of money there from the scallys that operate there they looked like
gypos,s to me so i would never go again to bidford the one you speak off by halfords
thats arrow ain,t it the people whom organise that one are the baliffs and alot of peoples property whom been repossed for what ever reason thats why i would not enterain that one as i said i go to hams hall now every sunday until studley is up and running then i refere back to studley on the 20 april i hope the first day back the weather will be fine i picked up a rake of old carl chinns news paper there last year
and i mean alot off one guy it was not you was it also i havepicked up a bull ring
picture its look like a painting and signed , also i have got the same pictur which looks like a print and signed again bought it for 25 quid studley is good for bargains
i either leave the old dutchess holding the fort or my son and i go and have a mooch around
i wonder if our postie is getting these badges some members want so we can be reconised by each other so i will know if you or any other members around we will reconised them best wishes astonian ;;

Hi Astonian no it was,nt me with the Carl Chinn stuff.
you know your bull ring pic,has it got a tram, midland red buses,
by st martins church Woolworth phone boxes a copper in a long white coat,
the markets on, and with the name davron the bull ring Birmingham 1948?
i have one or that one i,ve mentioned i bought for £6.00 long marston carboot.
regards Derek.

Postie

Do you have a scan showing the original entry of where you got the information on C fawke?

coalman

Many years ago when I was about 15 I dated a young girl Christine Fawke who's father was a taxi driver (black cab). They lived in Barrows Rd off Walford Rd Sparkbrook. Her fathers brother was a coal merchant on Small Heath wharf I believe.

Thats all I can tell you, as its pushing 50 years ago now.

Phil

pmc1947

Thank you so much, Her dad was called George and was my fathers cousin,his brother was called Arthur and was indeed a coal merchant until 1986!
I have heard that George also had a son called Alan who also drove a taxi but as yet had no confirmation of that.

Did you 2 lovebirds ever have your photo taken?

sure there was a coal wharf in inkerman st,the name knock rings a bell,guy had a huge bullbus nose???

Postie

Do you have a scan showing the original entry of where you got the information on C fawke?

Sorry, I don't as it passed to me by a friend, but while I was searching Today, I came across this entry in Kellys.

coalmam

We did have a photo taken once, whilst visiting my sister at Blackheath once. I had that photo until about 20 years ago, but I haven't seen it since. I believe Christine is living down south somewhere now.

Yes your fathers cousin did have a son, I'm not sure of his name, but he also lived in Barrows Rd, but more the other end towards Golden Hillock Rd near the corner shop. I knew his ex wife in about 1973, I don't think I ever met him.

Phil

Hi Phil

George Fawke moved down to torquay and ran a bed and breakfast so thats maybe where his daughter is but am only guessing on that one.
If you ever come across that photo of you and Christine please bear me in mind as well if you hear of Alan Fawke/ family whereabouts.

Regards

John

Back