• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Clocks

Where Has The Four Faced Liar Gone From the High Street (Near To Union St)

Does anyone know what has happened to the the Four Faced Liar (clock) that was in The High St corner of Union St it was outside BHS, for many years I did notice that it was on the missing list, it had been there if my memory serves my since the road was made into a pedestrian way, I aint, not, never, (triple negative) got photo of it

Re: Where Has The Four Faced Liar Gone From the High Street (Near To Union St)

Not sure which one you mean, but this one seen in 2009. is still on the High Street outside of M & S

It has now been removed for renovation and will be placed near it's original site at the King's Head. Sorry I don't know exactly where it will be put.
(See my post #23)
rosie.

Hi All,

Who arranged with their latest girl or boy friend "Meet you under the clock at Snow Hill Station"?
Many of us did. It was easily recognisable and could be reached from any part of the city by public transport.

Old Boy

My Aunt May met her boyfriend , Harold, under the clock at Snow Hill station (in the late 30s/40s). Family story is that they later eloped by train from Snow Hill and in the 70s, when the station was closing, Harold bought the clock.

What a lovely story Annie. Do you know if the clock is still in the family?

Two photos from WarwickshireRailways.com Viv.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    198.3 KB · Views: 16
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    163.9 KB · Views: 12
Last edited:
Thank you for your replies. The clock is no longer in the family and I was informed, via another thread, that it is at a school in Staffordshire - keep meaning to check it out. I.m due a trip to the Midlands next month - so will take a look.
Annie

Annie

See post 16 on this thread, it was Wightwick Hall School, Tinacre Hill, Perton, Wolverhampton.

Of course Phil re. Post 16. For some reason got it into my head that it was a New St clock that ended up at a school. It's a BIG clock for a school - just hope it's not in a classroom! Now wondering if there are any Old New St (interior) clocks (ore-1960s building) still around. Image from WarwickshireRailways.com. Viv.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    175.8 KB · Views: 21
Last edited:
Vivienne

Your second photo shows the clock hung on the exterior wall of the school, this one gives a better view.

Attachments

• clock.JPG
    clock.JPG
    65.1 KB · Views: 10
Last edited:
Here a clock that didn't have that long a lifespan, it's the digital clock that was on the top floor of the Rotunda, I don't think it was there when it was first built and I don't think it was reinstated after it was renovated.

Attachments

• City Bull Ring Woolworths (3).jpg
    City Bull Ring Woolworths (3).jpg
    131.6 KB · Views: 22
An eight sided tower on the Hare & Hounds pub on the corner of York Rd and High St Kings Heath but only three clock faces all showing the same time in this nice old pic and the clocks are still there https://goo.gl/maps/rAFhw
index.php

Last edited:
This is the best clock within the city boundaries, in my opinion.

https://carillon.atspace.org/

I must admit being biased as I heard this carillon frequently whilst at Bournville College.

To me their is something very magical about a carillon, there is a similar one at the Rev. Francis Lyte (famed for the hymn Abide With Me) in his memorial church in Brixham, Devon. Not forgetting the Zingende Torens (Dutch Singing Towers) for those who have been particularly in Amsterdam.

The Hare and Hounds clock is a beauty Phil (Oldmohawk). Must have cost a few bob to have several clock faces on a clock tower. Surprised that something so extravagant adorns the top of a pub. But it's not the only one. The Barton's Arms tower in Newtown has a clock face on four sides.

Re. Phil's (Moderator) mention of digital clocks, there was one on the Post & Mail building too. Used that a lot when working in Steelhouse Lane. Viv.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    308.3 KB · Views: 13
Coventry has the weirdest clock it is by the old fire station and Pool Meadow on the floor, it's like a big plaza or square and full of wiggles and squiggles and it is supposed to tell the world's time. As Coventry was a a city of watch and clock makers once I suppose that is why. Does Brum have a watchmaking quarter?

But does the Coventry clock work Nico ?!!!. Not aware of a specific Birmingham area for clockmaking. I expect clockmaking would mostly fall within the Jewellery Quarter. Could be wrong, someone please correct me if so. Good to see B'ham Uni has a clockmaking presence (Horology Dept) in the JQ. Viv.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    159.5 KB · Views: 3
But does the Coventry clock work Nico ?!!!. Not aware of a specific Birmingham area for clockmaking. I expect clockmaking would mostly fall within the Jewellery Quarter. Could be wrong, someone please correct me if so. Good to see B'ham Uni has a clockmaking presence (Horology Dept) in the JQ. Viv.
I have yet to find someone who can fathom how it works, it has no hands just a load of squiggles on the ground, there was talk of them removing it. I think it is called Millenium Square. I remember the Guinness Clock by the designer Emmet when I was very small and our Lady Godiva mechanical clock. I like those clocks that have knights on horses and lots of bells. There is a huge clock in Rouen in Rue du Gros Horloge, big clock street, which spans the street in an arch, very impressive. We also like my step daughter's clock she made at school, 30 odd years ago &still going. Very a la mode now a little red heart with black hands.

Joseph McKenna's small book "Watch & Clockmakers of the British Isles. Birmingham" describe the clockmakers of Birmingham, and there does not seem to ba particular area. The largest number seem to have shops in High St, though it is not made clear if that is where their workshop was. There are ones listed in Digbeth, Snow hill, Livery St, and Villa St

image.jpg

Looking at this 1905 pub clock tower, it's named the King Edward Inn. But I only ever remember it as the Ben Jonson. It's on the corner of Corporation St and Staniforth Street , and is next to the old Labour Exchange. A simple clock with just one face. Viv.

I asked Mike, because Cov, being much smaller than Brum had its former watch making area in Spon End/Chapelfields. The old houses have the workshops at the back still. My teacher lived in one and they had a staircase for the family at the front and the workers went up the back stairs. The have started pulling some down sadly but one terrace was commemorated by an imitation clock on the ground where they used to stand.

Workmen were preparing today for the return of the King's Head Clock. The area will be block paved, with seating, and the old toilet block will be demolished.
rosie.

Rosie

So they don't intend putting the clock back in its original position outside the Kings Head?

Attachments

• Quinton Hagley Rd West.JPG
    Quinton Hagley Rd West.JPG
    107.9 KB · Views: 14
Looking at this 1905 pub clock tower, it's named the King Edward Inn. But I only ever remember it as the Ben Jonson. It's on the corner of Corporation St and Staniforth Street , and is next to the old Labour Exchange. A simple clock with just one face. Viv.[/QUOTE]

Viv
I think it was always the King Edward. Certainly the 1970s Kellys, about when I used to visit, list it as such. I think it was the bar that was called the Ben johnson, not the pub. that said, everyone just knew it as the Ben Jonson

Last edited:
Phil, there's a triangle of space by the toilet block (which is going to be demolished). It's a corner by Hagley Rd. and Adkins Lane. I think it will be displayed nicely there! The road layout was changed last year and the underpass was filled in.
rosie.

Yes Rosie I can see where it is going to go on Google Earth, I just wondered why it was being moved, Though I suppose due to changes in the layout over the years it will be better in it's new position,

Phil, I don't know why they had it moved into the centre of Birmingham, I think there has been some disagreement between Birmingham and Sandwell! I'm glad it has been saved.
rosie.

Rosie

The reason given for it being moved in the first place was road widening but that doesn't seem to hold water given where the clock was located. From what I can make out the clock has always belonged to the City of Birmingham and is one of the prized Chamberlain Clocks.

This photo of the plate that was added to the clock when it was placed at the junction of Union Street & High Street comes from a very interesting site on clocks in Birmingham City Centre

https://publicclockthis.blogspot.co.uk/2014/04/birmingham-part-1-city-centre.html

Attachments

• Clock Tower (8)[1].JPG
    Clock Tower (8)[1].JPG
    226.9 KB · Views: 16
image.jpg
First time I've noticed a clock on Aston Hall. Seen clocks on stable blocks, but not sure I've seen many on Halls/Manors before. Viv.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    67.3 KB · Views: 10
Back