• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Clocks

Two very tired looking clocks on the church of St Marks in Washwood Heath Road. Viv.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    59.5 KB · Views: 17
No excuse for arriving late for work at Ansells. Two very visible clocks; a company clock and a council clock. Photo looks about 1950s (?). Viv.
image.jpeg

The clock on the Princess Alice Orphanage, New Oscott. I suppose all the older children and staff looked at it during the day and maybe it chimed. I remember seeing all of the buildings on that site before the orphanage was closed and eventually demolished to make way for a supermarket.
PrincessAliceClock.jpg

Hi Viv, just want to say you have brought memories back to me from my boyhood days,
As you know i was born and bred and started life living at 5\92 lichfield road which was more or less
next to the Ansells brewery and i can relate to you about Aston and most certainly on the clock of both clocks
the picture of Ansells clock was put up after they finished building there brand ne offices block on the front as you can see what they done i can also say yes i also recall them knocking down the front batches of litle tiny shops and the ajoining little houses
surrounding the building along on the lichfield road along with the knocking down of all the courts and houses right along the lichfield road to the corner of upper portland street to build all there brewery along lichfield road i wittnes for years the slow building of that brewery brick by brick as i said i recall the clock being put up pn the top of the building if you look at the pictyre showing park street
the left hand of ANSELLS you can see the bus stop ,that was the thirty nine to town the white little wall i used to stand on
whilst waitng for the thirty nine at the cost of 1 penny to town i used to watch the beer bottles being filled up and going around the tracks
the other big clock on the island with its down below toilets mens and womens where the scales was at the botom of there stair wells
great pictures Astonian,,

A brass sundial Fugit Hora by James Lucking & Co, Birmingham. Wouldn't mind owning this but costs £198.Anyone know the dates of James Lucking's business? Viv.

image.jpeg image.jpeg

Thanks Pedro. So spanning around 50 years although starting out as an optician. I'm assuming this was perhaps a more ornamental sundial as by the late 1800s, I'm guessing anyone who could buy something like this was more likely to invest in the more modern technology of a clock. Or perhaps it was produced for a particular client. Viv.

Victorian barometers by James Lucking & Co. of Birmingham, Worcester & Leicester on sale on-line. Further diversification?

Thanks Pedro. What an unusual clock. And cigarettes! It must be a clock that sat on the (meeting) table in the Lord Mayors Parlour as the cigarette drawers are on various sides. It's got to be a unique clock. Wonder if it still exists? Viv.

A fascinating engineering item, I wonder if this clock still exists? Maybe in the offices of whoever own the company now or by someone who rescued it from the junk pile when the factory closed down.
I wonder which of the many Birmingham bicycle companies had this clock made?

hi me again.i need spring mechanism for clock mentioned above. all i can see is it says westminster gong plate at the back of clock mechanism and on the brass plate of clock itself there is numbers -34335 printed or etched also no.4 on both corners of the back of face plate.where can i get the winding or spring drum.please any help im a novice at this.i have took it apart and got the drum which has the spring or coil inside

Back