• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Clocks

Vivienne14

Kentish Brummie Moderator
Staff member
These were once an important feature of the street landscape. But nowadays they've become less so. I expect many may even have disappeared from our streets, but some lovely examples remain. Once clocks could be found in many places; on civic buildings, factories or stand alone at important crossroads. This lovely example was on Corporation Street, above Nathan's the jeweller's shop and/or pawnbrokers. It's one I often used in the past as I waited for buses just outside the shop. A delight to look up and see. Viv.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    121.1 KB · Views: 34
Last edited:
I remember looking at that clock as a yougster when alighting from the 29A to walk up Cherry Street and on to Edmund Street for the Dudley Road buses.

Exterior, or large ones in windows seemed to be a feature of many jewelers: I guess it was a good advert as they usually sold watches and clocks.

I suppose now that most folks have a watch the need for clocks in towns and cities has become less important.

That's the very bus I would have been waiting for Alan. You would be jumping off as I would be jumping on! Used to catch the 29 A from there to Kingstanding. Problem with having such a big clock by a bus stop it makes you acutely aware of how long you've been standing waiting. Viv.

Last edited:
I like the pawnbroker's sign behind it too Vivienne.
I read that the clock which used to at the King's Head is to be returned to it's original place but last time I was in Birmingham it was still there. This is another one I used to rely on!
rosie.

I managed to recognize two clocks, both very pretty obvious really, they were the University and St. Philips Cathedral.

Regarding an earlier post I will say that the 29A route took you to more central areas than the other routes I could use, such as BCT 37, or any Midland Red Stratford Road services. Rail was equally available but more expensive. All required a walk to them as none 'passed the door' so as to speak.

Not a beauty as a piece but a useful one on Hunters Road. Imagine how many people have used this clock on their way to work, on their way home, passing by on the bus etc. it must have, at one time, struck fear in the hearts of many latecomers who knew they were in for a dressing down from the supervisor. And wonder if it's still in working order. Viv.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    220.9 KB · Views: 39
Last edited:
passed the H SAMUEL clock hundreds of time viv on my walk to work in vyse st ..still in working order...

lyn

I use to look at this clock most days at Six Ways Aston and if I saw 7.20pm I would be late for my night out. If it was 7.20am I would be too early for work...:)
SixWaysClock.jpg

Last edited:
image.jpg

Lyn originally I thought the Hunters Road clock was the Joseph Lucas clock, but the Lucas one was slightly more ornate. Funny though how they're both located on walkways joining two buildings.

Thanks Phil. Forgotten that many banks had clocks, I suppose especially those at major junctions.

Viv.

Last edited:
viv we still dont know what happened to the lucas clock...it was said it was put into storage somewhere over dudley road way..ive tried to locate it but no luck...most likely in someones back garden...shame really as it was iconic as was the building..

image.jpg
A very handsome clock seen by everyone travelling up and down the Aston Expressway. It's on the spire of St.Peter's and St.Paul's Church, Aston. It's been lovingly looked after too. It needed renovation because the six circular segments around the perimeter of the clock had become heavily corroded. This is them being removed. And what a beautiful result. Viv.

image.jpg

Last edited:
I use to look at this clock most days at Six Ways Aston and if I saw 7.20pm I would be late for my night out. If it was 7.20am I would be too early for work...
friendly_wink.png

View attachment 98886

Mohawk. that is so true. I'm of a similar age spectrum where we owned up to our mishaps

Another lost clock of Brum. Not a decorative clock but I often glanced at it as I ran through those archways in a rush to catch a train back to camp on Sunday nights.
New_Street_Station.jpg

A lost & found clock, it once hung in the concourse booking hall at Snow Hill Station that was rescued when the station was demolished and now adorns the walls of Wightwick Hall School Wolverhampton

Attachments

• City Snow Hill Booking Hall Pre wwI.jpg
    City Snow Hill Booking Hall Pre wwI.jpg
    176.2 KB · Views: 29
  • Wightwick Hall School snow hill clock.[1].JPG
    Wightwick Hall School snow hill clock.[1].JPG
    89.8 KB · Views: 28
Nice to see photos of some of the old clocks most of which I remember. I found this web site about City clocks in Britain and there are five pages for Birmingham. Not all of the clocks, of course, but some very good photos of many of them. I remember the ICI entrance at Witton which had a clock. It seemed to taunt me as I rode by it early mornings on my way to school in the city centre. It was always correct and if I was late well... I also like the photo of the old entrance to New Street Station. Under the arches was the entrance to my office. The Nathan clock on Corporation Street I could see from my classroom at Lawrence's College right across the road. https://publicclockthis.blogspot.ca/2014/04/birmingham-part-1-city-centre.html Thanks to publicclockthis.blogspot.ca

Sometimes these lost clocks turn up in restaurants or pubs these days. Large industrial/commercial items like these are very fashionable. Or maybe those lost will one day turn up on the Antiques Roadshow.

Wonder where this clock is now. By rights it ought to be in a museum. This photo of the Steam Clock Tavern, at 23 Morville Street, shows - yes you guessed it - a steam clock. The Tavern was run by the engineer John Inshaw. Photo and interesting article on this site.https://www.dixon914.freeserve.co.uk/steam.htm Viv.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    597.8 KB · Views: 41
Last edited:
Absolutely Bazz. The original clock was a stunning piece but was unreliable! I also like its replacement at the junction of Lichfield Road and Park Road. Viv.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    337.5 KB · Views: 25
I glanced up at this clock many a morning on the way to school, it's St Pauls Church on Moseley Rd Balsall Heath. The whole church was demolished a good few years back and as far as I am aware the only things saved was a bell and a cross. Surely some of these old church tower clocks must get saved as they have to have some historic value?

Attachments

• 10026-0[1].jpg
    10026-0[1].jpg
    119.1 KB · Views: 13
In my post #4 I mentioned the Kings Head clock, it has now been removed for renovation and will be replaced somewhere by the Kings Head.
rosie.

Adolph managed to bomb St Thomas's out of existence but he didn't manage to complete the job with the Clock Tower.

Attachments

• s Bath Row 11.12.40. .jpg
    s Bath Row 11.12.40. .jpg
    212.2 KB · Views: 20
  • St Thomas.jpg
    St Thomas.jpg
    89.4 KB · Views: 24
Hi All,

A well known clock was on the Samson P H at the top of Green Lane near Blake Street, Small Heath. Is the pub still there and, if so, has the clock survived?

Old Boy

A very ordinary clock just about showing in the top of this pic was one I looked at many times probably 3 or 4 nights a week. All the skaters in the pic would have looked at it. I was probably wearing a wrist watch but I still looked at that clock which used to rule sessions at the ice rink. Some clocks were important to us in the good old days when we were young.

Hi All,

A well known clock was on the Samson P H at the top of Green Lane near Blake Street, Small Heath. Is the pub still there and, if so, has the clock survived?

Old Boy
Hi the building is still there and also the clock last time i looked.pub is no longer in use

Hi All,

Old Boy

The Sampson & Lion is still there today and it hasn't changed much externally other than the fact that it is some sort of Islamic Centre now. The clock is still there outside.

Attachments

• Bordesley Green Sampson & Lion Bordesley Green Yardley Fields Rd.jpg
    Bordesley Green Sampson & Lion Bordesley Green Yardley Fields Rd.jpg
    133.5 KB · Views: 19
It's good to see some of the more functional clocks featuring in our collection on this thread. So nice to hear of them bringing them back good memories such as the exterior New Street station and the ice rink clocks.

image.jpg

This is quite a functional clock which was once in Harborne High Street above Mr W Gardner's, the watchmaker and jeweller. He also made clocks, so I presume the one above his shop was one he made himself. He made the clock on the Harborne Board School tower too. Mr Garner's shop is no longer there (it was on the right of the old photo below, so very close to the school. There's even a schoolgirl near the shop window in the photo). But his legacy lives on in the clock still on the old school tower in the High Street. Viv.

image.jpg
image.jpg

Last edited:
Here one that a few users of the 56 bus would have checked each morning on the way to work, Acme Toys on the corner of AB row and Howe Street.

Attachments

• Nechells AB Row.JPG
    Nechells AB Row.JPG
    125.7 KB · Views: 29
Back