• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Clifton Road Aston

Hi Louisa - my grandparents were Edmund and Annie Crutchley living at number 143 Clifton Road. My uncle (their son) Clifford Crutchley married Hannah Moss in 1935 - is she connected to your Moss's? I can remember my mum saying that my grandma was a bit sniffy about the fact they were "boat people" so I am assuming she fits in somewhere. My grandma died in 1935 just after my uncle's wedding, from breast cancer. My grandad and my mum and dad moved out into The Broadway after my grandad had a stroke in the early 50s.

Barbara
Bit of a delayed response but We lived at 1/147 Clifton Rd and knew the Clifford family. Our surname was Tattam

Clifton Road Coal Merchant

During the early 1960s i lived next door to the white swan pub on upper sutton street. I remember my dad sending me around the corner onto clifton road to the coal yard pushing an old pram, and some coal would be tipped into it. Am i right if i say the people who owned the coal yard had the surname of Baglin. The man i remember was always dirty looking to be expected if working with coal, he was a large man with a ruddy face, he wore a flat cap, and a small pair of spectacles. You would always see him in the area delivering in his lorry laden with coal sacks Who was he.?
Hi, This was my Grandads Coal yard Edwin Victor Baglin. It was great to read your memory of collecting coal and your description of him. I read your story to my mother today so thankyou for posting it. My Grandad died when i was only 2 so i didnt really remember him, but my nan continued the with business for some years after. My mom was a twin and all of the Baglin children are still alive today apart from the eldest who passed away last year aged 86.

Hi, This was my Grandads Coal yard Edwin Victor Baglin. It was great to read your memory of collecting coal and your description of him. I read your story to my mother today so thankyou for posting it. My Grandad died when i was only 2 so i didnt really remember him, but my nan continued the with business for some years after. My mom was a twin and all of the Baglin children are still alive today apart from the eldest who passed away last year aged 86.

thanks for posting that query mike...as you know my friend who we have been helping lived at 103 clifton road and she said that those houses are not the same as the one she lived in...her house had 2 upstairs bedroom windows and 2 steps up to the front door and those in that photo do not...she has also mentioned a coal yard nearby...hope someone who knew this road can help us

lyn

Hello Lyn,

An old post but just curious. I'm assuming this has to be sometime later but my great great grandmother and her third husband lived at 103 Clifton Road in the 1920s.

I always remember that my great grandfather did but forget about her. I even realised the other day that there was a photo with 103 on it which I'd looked at many times.

Clifton Road, Aston

Uncle, you are right about Baglins having a coal yard in Clifton Road. Lily his daughter and other family members went to Burlington Street and Upper Thomas Street schools and often come to the Annual Reunion at the Barn Social Club, Witton, held on the 7th July.
Hi, lily is my aunt and she's still around today and so are all of the baglin children apart from marge who passed away last year. Andrew

Hi. We lived at 1/147, so almost opposite, one entry up from Barkers newsagents. We always got our coal from your Grandad (again, in the old pram!) but our coke from the gasworks I think. I remember my Dad 'banking up' the fire with nutty slack at bedtime so that it was still going when he got up in the morning for work and so he didn't have to light the fire from scratch. We had all the shops we needed at close hand, wish it was like that today.

Hi, I have only just discovered this brilliant thread about Clifton Road. My link is via 16 Gothic Terrace where my grandfather was born in 1905. I have found a map of the location of Gothic Terrace, a few photos of Clifton Road and a potential photo of Gothic Terrace posted some time ago. The people on here are the friendliest and most knowledgeable I have come across. Thank you all so much I am searching through the whole thread to see what else I can discover!

Brilliant, you are all stars.

Malcolm

Hi, I have only just discovered this brilliant thread about Clifton Road. My link is via 16 Gothic Terrace where my grandfather was born in 1905. I have found a map of the location of Gothic Terrace, a few photos of Clifton Road and a potential photo of Gothic Terrace posted some time ago. The people on here are the friendliest and most knowledgeable I have come across. Thank you all so much I am searching through the whole thread to see what else I can discover!

Brilliant, you are all stars.

Malcolm
Hi Malcolm. I don’t know if you do Facebook but there’s a group on there ‘Aston B6’ and there’s loads of really interesting stuff on there. The groups really friendly, only three main rules, run by Amanda Wood. I’ve found a long lost cousin, spoken to people who I knew as a child. Lots of people linked to Gothic Terrace.

Hi Malcolm. I don’t know if you do Facebook but there’s a group on there ‘Aston B6’ and there’s loads of really interesting stuff on there. The groups really friendly, only three main rules, run by Amanda Wood. I’ve found a long lost cousin, spoken to people who I knew as a child. Lots of people linked to Gothic Terrace.
Hi Malcolm, we lived at 1/161 Clifton Road from 1959-1969. Our entry, if I remember correctly, would have backed on to Gothic Terrace. Those back to backs were quite a bit higher than the road and the first house on the left had a wall separating the small garden from the pavement. Our name was Carney

Hi Malcolm, we lived at 1/161 Clifton Road from 1959-1969. Our entry, if I remember correctly, would have backed on to Gothic Terrace. Those back to backs were quite a bit higher than the road and the first house on the left had a wall separating the small garden from the pavement. Our name was Carney
Thank you very much for letting me know about this Facebook link. I will ask my son to access it for me. And thank you for your description of the houses, it all helps to get a picture of what it was like to live there.

Malcolm

My grandfather Lionel Farren lived at 101 Clifton Road. He died in 1969 and had four sons and one daughter. One of whom was my dad. Does anyone remember them?

There is a picture that includes 101 here...

...I think 101 is the house with the fella in the doorway.

Hi ,
I think the first picture is where my moms 2 sister lived. Violet and Lily Bullock.
They married 2 Scotch brothers Roddy and Tommy Preston.
The entry leads to the courtyard where they lived.
The photo was taken just down from Eagle pub.

I hope the moderators and other members do not mind me pointing this out but some of the comments are referring to "the other Clifton Road" - not Clifton Road, Aston, and therefore may cause confusion at a later date.

William.

hi jim we have now moved the posts about your williams family to the surname interests of the forum...if you prefer a title different to the one i have chosen just let me know via pm and i can change it for you...link below

lyn

I have just found this thread and found it fascinating reading the descriptions of Clifton Road and particularly Gothic Terrace. My grandparents Joe and Irene Little are shown on the 1939 Register as living at 8 Gothic Terrace. They will probably have moved here after they married in 1937, but by 1944 they had moved to Lancashire. But I think they were probably living here when my Dad, Bobby Little was born in 1942. They would later return to Birmingham and settled in Small Heath.

My grand parents - Charles John & Elsie May Sheasby lived at 136 Clifton Road, into the mid sixties. They had four sons, my dad, Alfred Ernest Sheasby, and uncles, Arnold George Sheasby, Royston John Sheasby and Maurice Sheasby (only surviving son) - does anyone have any recollection of them? Pop, my grandfather, worked at M.B. Wild & Co until at least December 1958, when he was presented with a Bernex gold watch for twenty-one years service.

My grand parents - Charles John & Elsie May Sheasby lived at 136 Clifton Road, into the mid sixties. They had four sons, my dad, Alfred Ernest Sheasby, and uncles, Arnold George Sheasby, Royston John Sheasby and Maurice Sheasby (only surviving son) - does anyone have any recollection of them? Pop, my grandfather, worked at M.B. Wild & Co until at least December 1958, when he was presented with a Bernex gold watch for twenty-one years service.
Hi Brispeese
My gran and grand dad (Mason) lived at 138 clifton road and my mom and dad (Annie and Ted mason) lived across the road at 5/147 clifton road
When my gran and grand dad passed away my family moved into thier house as it was bigger

Your grand parent's were our neighbours but sadly passed away when I was quite young so I never realy knew them
but i knew arnie roysten and maurice your dad was not living ther then
I think Arnie was the oldest and I cant remember much about him but I remember fishing with Roysten and I remember Maurice was always keen on motorbikes and was friends with George Cuttler who lived at 10/147 clifton road but they were all a bit all a bit older than me so we never mixed much other than to say hello
We stayed as neighbours untill they moved us to make way for the new motorway
maurice might still remember us as Valarie Edwin and Paul Mason and Pat Ann and Shirley Cuttler
i hope this jogs his memory of the good old days

I was brought up in Clifton Roland, we lived at 2/240, near Graces shop. My main memory is that I was in the same class as poor Margret Reynolds who was kidnapped and found dead on Cannock chase.
We plated football in the street in the knowledge that Jimmy Dugdale, who played for Aston Villa and managed the Bricklayers arms, and he could get you into Villa as a player. The smallest kid in the team was the one who crawled under the parked cars to get the ball back.
I remember a small factory in the road, as mum worked there, she called it the Accuraters.
Does any remember the snow causing a roof to fall in near the shop?
All the kids were friends with each other and their parents were called Auntie or uncle.

Last edited:
Judy,
It was Court 27, left hand side back of 163 and right hand side back of 161 my Dad, Henry John Chinn, was born in 1914 at '3 back of 161' from memory, certainly one of the 'back' houses. I'll have to check his birth certificate again, he was a twin and sadly his brother William Percy died before reaching his 1st birthday. Bill.
Hi Judy & Bill
We lived at 1/161 Clifton Road from 1959 until we got rehoused in 1969. I was the eldest and I had 2 younger sisters. We all went to Upper Thomas Street until we moved to Kingstanding in 69

Hi Judy & Bill
We lived at 1/161 Clifton Road from 1959 until we got rehoused in 1969. I was the eldest and I had 2 younger sisters. We all went to Upper Thomas Street until we moved to Kingstanding in 69
Hi Mikec - I know that my family lived in Gothic Terrace, which was Court 24. They lived in the same Court from at least 1881 until 1925. Gothic Terrace was very near to you as it was between 157 and 159. I only wish that I'd been able to visit the area while it was still standing. So I love to hear about it and what it was like. Judy

Back