• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Clifton Road Aston

LindyB65

master brummie
Has anybody got any memories or photographs of Clifton Road Aston my family lived there until 1969 and my father was born at 154 clifton road which was the address where we lived until we moved to Quinton,i cant remember much about the place as i was only 4 when we moved but would love to hear from anyone who remembers the road and surrounding areas

Thank You

Linda

Hi Linda

I was born in 1953 and lived at no 12 Clifton Rd until our house was compulsory purchased by the council to make way for the Aston Expressway in 1971.

I don't have any photos but I do have memories.

My grandmother Dolly Mellon kept the outdoor at no
100 Clifton Road- next door to Jacksons Fish and Chip Shop.

Opposite was Elsies grocery shop and next door to that was a shop I always referred to as being owned by "Mrs Mac."

In or around the 1920's my great grandmother Elizabeth Harper and her husband John - kept the Golden Lion public house on the corner of Clifton Road and Upper Thomas Street.

My mother is still alive so if there is anything you want to ask please feel free and I will see if she remembers.

Best wishes

Fay

My late wife worked in a factory in Clifton Road I think.

The name Applebeys comes to mind, does it ring bells with anyone? E.

Sorry Eric

Cannot recall any factories in Clifton Road - unless it was the top end of Clifton Road towards Potters Hills. Never really ventured that far. Lead a very sheltered childhood.

Having said that I grew up in Clifton Road in the 50's to very early 70's so could have been before that time period.

Apart from shops and a coal yard I think it was more residential.

Regards

Fay

We lived in Potters Hill from 1952 to 1956 and my wife used to walk to work from there, she kept her job there right up until we left Brum in 1965.
She worked in a press shop making 'lappets' which I think were parts for weaving looms. E.

Thanks everyone

My dad will really be interested in all your memories i will mention everything to him and i will try and let you know his thoughts.
My Uncle Jim (James Hunt) had a grocers shop in Clifton Road and like i said the family lived at number 154 until 1969.

Thanks again
Lindy:)

Lindy

Clifton Road was divided into 3 sections. The lower numbers were closest to Park Road. Park Road ran from Aston Cross down to Aston Church.

The next section of Clifton Road had Upper Thomas Street running paralell at one end and Upper Sutton Street runing acroos the other end.

The third section obviously had Upper Sutton Street running paralell and I think ended towards Potters Hill.

Opposite The Golden Lion on the corner of Clifton Road and Upper Thomas Street (1st section) was a chemist called "Saunders", with a bookies on the opposite corner.

I think your uncles shop would have been in the 3rd section.

In the 3rd section there was a laundry shop on the right hand corner (Clifton Rd and Upper Sutton Street) and on the left hand side of Clifton Road just a few yards up from the laundry shop I seem to recall a coal yard.

Not sure if I am supposed to post this bit here (if I have dropped a clanger then I apologise) but in the mid '60's a little girl went missing from Clifton Road towards Potters Hill - Margaret Reynolds. Two other little girls also went missing from other areas at a later date and I think the case was reffered to as the ABC murders. Please correct me if I am wrong though.

Fay

Last edited by a moderator:
Clifton Road

Hi Lindy, we were glad to have somewhere to live when were married at Aston Church in 56, my wife's Gran (May Reynolds) lived down the Yard behind Jackson's chippie and in fact May used to go and help out there tearing the B'ham Mail and Evening Despatch in to wrapping for the chips. My wife - Nee Pat Burford remembers The Outdoor well and Dolly Mellon. When we lived there Pat used to work down at Griffins the Greengrocers down by The House That Jack Built Newtown Row. Changed so much now but hasn't everywhere?

Hi there
Thanks for all your memories i know my mom Rene Hunt used to clean at a chip shop close to where we lived in Clifton Road,like i said my fathers was born at 154 and we moved out of there in the May 1969 .

Lindy

Clifton Road Coal Merchant

During the early 1960s i lived next door to the white swan pub on upper sutton street. I remember my dad sending me around the corner onto clifton road to the coal yard pushing an old pram, and some coal would be tipped into it. Am i right if i say the people who owned the coal yard had the surname of Baglin. The man i remember was always dirty looking to be expected if working with coal, he was a large man with a ruddy face, he wore a flat cap, and a small pair of spectacles. You would always see him in the area delivering in his lorry laden with coal sacks Who was he.?

Clifton Road, Aston

Uncle, you are right about Baglins having a coal yard in Clifton Road. Lily his daughter and other family members went to Burlington Street and Upper Thomas Street schools and often come to the Annual Reunion at the Barn Social Club, Witton, held on the 7th July.

Heres a photo of Clifton Rd Aston that I found. I think its from the mid sixties.

pmc1947

Aston Clifton Rd 2.jpg

Last edited:
I was a twin Born in Clifton Road

Hi everyone, found site by fluke today. I was born at Clifton Rd August 1968 my moms name was Lily or Lynn as it appears some people called her. My dads name was "Bill". Does anyone remember us ? It has given me butterflies seeing the street I was born in as never seen it.

Hello Objd1

Welcome to this fabulous site.

What number in Clifton Road did you live at?

What was the surname of your parents?

Fay

What number Clifton Road ?

Thank you for the welcome. I have just looked at our birth certificates and we were born at 3/177 Clifton Street which I expect to be a room in a house as I know we were quite poor (I still am with teenage kids) : - )
My dads surname was Mills and my moms maiden names were McCarthy, Broughton or Thursfield. I am finding all three and reasons behind them. I remember mom saying she kept us in a drawer !! We only weighed 1.5 and 21b. We are now nearly 40, own families and weigh alot more .....

Objd1

You just referred to Clifton Street - is it Clifton Street or Clifton Road?

Fay

Back