• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Clifton Road Aston

Louisa, I lived in the same back yard as the Cashmores, we lived at # 10/32 I am sure they lived at #14/32 was it a Sammy Cashmore? I also recall 'old lady Moss' (excuse that description,we were kids then) but really cant remember her well. I do knowu she lived next door to the asian Ullha family, her backyard stretched down to our yard area, we would climb her steel fence boundry, she would give us hell 'and more'
hope this gets to ya.
Dave Nutt
Did they have a daughter Shirley Baglin Raz x

do you remember the moss family, my nan was lily, dad arthur and mom daisy, sister jeannette. i think they lived at no: 30 clifton rd, aston. my name is jason and i was the baby born just after the street was knocked down, we moved to porcherster street, newtown, i would love to here some story's.
Hi Jason i was born and bred at No 32 and we use to refer to your dad as Arkie Moss and your mom Daisy and the family in No 28 were the Annetts we were all poor but happy Raz x

Can any one from Clifton rd remember Jonny cashmore Barbara billiard
Hi Barbara i was a good mate of John Cashmore in Clifton Road he lived behind our house [32] another mate behind us was Philip Jackson and another good mate across the road was Tony Raczek and a few doors down was Kevin Lacey Good Days Raz x

Hi Jason i was born and bred at No 32 and we use to refer to your dad as Arkie Moss and your mom Daisy and the family in No 28 were the Annetts we were all poor but happy Raz x
We left in 1970 and moved to Croydon Road Erdington , i loved my life in Aston .

Last edited:
Hi Raz yes I remember your family my younger sister Margaret played with one of your sisters I think it was Calvin they would be about4\5years old I was 9 years old in 1960 we move to Walsall and Lived
next door to the nuts family

Yes please i think we also had relatives who died on the Titanic
Hi Barbara, quick update for you that will you like about our relatives on the titanic.......
Austin van billiard and his kids
James and Walter.
If you Google there names you will see the photos.
I spoke with the titanic museum in the states and they have lots of info on them and use them in the tours they do.
They are willing to give info and photos on them.
:).

Hi Barbara i am 68 now and just about remember your family there was also the Ward family the Coleman family and i seem to remember Christine Hillier i think our memories fade as we get older . Raz x

. do you remember Yvonne Annette she drown while out fishing with her dad do you remember the Aston tv studios I went to see thank your lucky stars there is as the Beatles at the ocean pictures house in the 60 I remember all the family my mother Roy it was his 15 birthday he had is party in the yard all the yard came

. do you remember Yvonne Annette she drown while out fishing with her dad do you remember the Aston tv studios I went to see thank your lucky stars there is as the Beatles at the ocean pictures house in the 60 I remember all the family my mother Roy it was his 15 birthday he had is party in the yard all the yard came
Yes i remember little Yvonne drowning it was terrible Mr Annette was never the same after there was also Maureen , Brian and Colin they were a nice family. I went to the Aston Studios once and Jon Pertwee picked me up i was about 4 years old i think Sabrina was appearing , My best mate Colin Hunt [rip] lived near the studios Colin would be about 73 now he was an honest regular bloke i miss him he was my snooker partner . Raz x

Last edited:
Yes i remember little Yvonne drowning it was terrible Mr Annette was never the same after there was also Maureen , Brian and Colin they were a nice family. I went to the Aston Studios once and Jon Pertwee picked me up i was about 4 years old i think Sabrina was appearing , My best mate Colin Hunt [rip] lived near the studios Colin would be about 73 now is was an honest regular bloke i miss him he was my snooker partner . Raz x

H uhh
I remember on a Sunday morning the salvation army
Hi all. I lived at 10/32 Clifton road from birth 1943 until age 16 leaving for Pelsall in 1958.
Our house was a back to back situated in the block that separated Park Road down to Upper Thomas St. at the top of the road we had a butchers shop and opposite a leather shop (shoes, handbags etc)
halfway down on the left side we had two general shops. On the UTS corner we had a greengrocers,The Golden Lion pub, A chemists shop and a shop that did radio repairs, charged batteries etc. There was a company half way down on the right side that had lorries and did something with T chests, I think it was called Clifton Packing Co.
But to the best of my knowledge there were no factories in that lower section of Clifton Road. Hope this helps a little.
Dave (nutter)

I knew your mom and the whole family, I lived in the same yard in Aston and we moved to Pelsall just before your mum and dad. Your uncle Roy and I played in a skiffle group together.
Your uncle Ken worked for me many years later when I had a steeplejack business.
Hope your mum remembers us. Dad was Joe Nutt, Mum was May, then elder brother Brian (now sadly gone);and me David.
Your gran and grandad lived at No3 next door to the wards a big family 8 kids plus mum and dad in a two bed house, happy days.

Dave Nutt nutter Barbara - Billiard Dave Margaret was I think one of your bridesmaids I have a photo of your mom &Cathy at your wedding night do I think Janice Nicholls and Brian Meacham were there Cathy's two girls are both in there 50's and doing well it's been 49 years now since she died safely we lost Margaret aged 44 with cancer and Roy passed away in December last year. Jonny and Ken are both well hope you are in good health

Dave Nutt nutter Barbara - Billiard Dave Margaret was I think one of your bridesmaids I have a photo of your mom &Cathy at your wedding night do I think Janice Nicholls and Brian Meacham were there Cathy's two girls are both in there 50's and doing well it's been 49 years now since she died safely we lost Margaret aged 44 with cancer and Roy passed away in December last year. Jonny and Ken are both well hope you are in good health
David nutty sorry it was Cathy who was one of your bridesmaids not Margaret

I'm quite pleased with that result.
Another spanner in the works in the billiard family tree.
looking at the bit of family tree I have it gose back to 1650. I will try scan it tomorrow and send it you if you like?
Kevlar I have looked at the story of the Titanic when things are back to normal I shall visit the museum in Liverpool to see if I can investigate a little further best wishes Barbara

Hope you all had a good Christmas. Just found this thread and I was wondering if anyone knew Annie E Doyle nee Craney who lived at 15 back of 129 Clifton Road, Aston. She was there in 1965 and she was step-daughter to my Grandfather. Her husband was John D Doyle. I'm trying to find out the whereabouts of Ann or what happened to her after 1965.
Cheers, Phil

Phil,

I've drawn a blank on that one. No John D. Doyle currently listed in the Birmingham area, but by the same token up until 2008 there was no death for a John D. Doyle. That still leaves a lot of possibilities, e.g. death in 2009-2019, ticked the privacy box on the Electoral Roll form, or simply left the area or even the country. That was just a very quick check.

Maurice :cool:

Thanks for looking Maurice.
Phil,

I've drawn a blank on that one. No John D. Doyle currently listed in the Birmingham area, but by the same token up until 2008 there was no death for a John D. Doyle. That still leaves a lot of possibilities, e.g. death in 2009-2019, ticked the privacy box on the Electoral Roll form, or simply left the area or even the country. That was just a very quick check.

Maurice :cool:

Thanks everyone

My dad will really be interested in all your memories i will mention everything to him and i will try and let you know his thoughts.
My Uncle Jim (James Hunt) had a grocers shop in Clifton Road and like i said the family lived at number 154 until 1969.

Thanks again
Lindy:)
He’ll Lindy, I know it is many years since your post about Clifton Road, but I wonder if you could help me in my search for my grandfather, who used several different names, William Charles, Charles William, and just Charles Hunt. Ancestry have suggested that in the 1881 Census he could have been at 156 Clifton Road, Aston, staying with his unamed uncle. I know it was a long time ago, but the Hunt name keeps cropping up in that area. Any snippet of knowledge might give me a clue. His widow is shown in the 1911 census as living at 30 Vauxhall St with 5 of her children.There must be some family connection with Hunts in that area because the whole family were Londoners.
Grateful thanks Valerieimage.jpg Huntimage.jpg

He’ll Lindy, I know it is many years since your post about Clifton Road, but I wonder if you could help me in my search for my grandfather, who used several different names, William Charles, Charles William, and just Charles Hunt. Ancestry have suggested that in the 1881 Census he could have been at 156 Clifton Road, Aston, staying with his unamed uncle. I know it was a long time ago, but the Hunt name keeps cropping up in that area. Any snippet of knowledge might give me a clue. His widow is shown in the 1911 census as living at 30 Vauxhall St with 5 of her children.There must be some family connection with Hunts in that area because the whole family were Londoners.
Grateful thanks ValerieView attachment 154255 HuntView attachment 154254
I’m so grateful.

can I ask if you new my the family moss or cashmore at 32 Clifton rd.
Hi Jason i was born and bred at 32 Clifton Rd, 1952 i was born and new John Cashmore and his brother i think his name was Colin his dad was a Builder we all played together as kids and then there was Lily Moss , Arkie and Daisey who lived next door to us at no 30 we left in 1970 when the Express Way came through and wrecked Aston, they were hard times in Aston but we were all in the same boat and you could leave your back door open nothing to rob , not nowadays your house has to be like Fort Knox still happy days . Raz

Hi. I'm new to this forum.

My parents lived in Clifton road, as did I up until the age of 5. We moved out in 1964. My parents are Barry and Brenda Birch who rented the rear of a butchers shop just up from Baglins coal yard. I haven't a clue what it was called. I think we lived at 132(a) Clifton Road. My dads parents lived opposite, up an alleyway. His mom was Minnie Birch, his dad was Henry Alfred Birch, their address was 2/147 Clifton Road. My mom's parents lived in Park Lane, Percy Webster was her dads name, I'll have to see if I can find out her moms and the exact address....(I remember as a small child walking past the cobblers on Park Lane with a giant policeman painted on the wall). I also remember a grocers, Hunts?, at the bottom of Clifton road and a grocery store on Upper Sutton Street between Clifton Road and Victoria Road, my parents referred to it as Connies I think.

I've had a look through the site and am struggling to find many photos of Clifton Road or Park Lane as most of them are showing 'attached thumbnail' and won't open. I was wondering if anyone would be so kind as to re-upload any they have.

Hi
I have just become a member of the Clifton road Forum site and after reading some of the of the letters I started to remem ber growing up at 5/147 Clifton road and moving to 138 Clifton road after the passing of my fathers parents I used to deliver papers for Barkers news agents and I will always remember Frankie Bullock waiting outside barkers to collect the papers off the delivery man and no-one else could take them other than Frankie
I also delivered coal on a Saturday for Baglins coal yard (in those rickety old barrows )
My father was was a keen angler and would go fishing with the Baglins and others who used the crown pub in Clifton road
his name was Ted Mason and lived in Clifton road all of his life untill he and my mother Annie like so many other people had to move for the the new motorway
I had a brother named Edwin who like me went to upper thomas street school and a sister named Valarie who went to Vicarage road girls school
I wonder if any one remembers me or any of my family if so it would be nice to hear off you

Frank Mason

Hi
I have just become a member of the Clifton road Forum site and after reading some of the of the letters I started to remem ber growing up at 5/147 Clifton road and moving to 138 Clifton road after the passing of my fathers parents I used to deliver papers for Barkers news agents and I will always remember Frankie Bullock waiting outside barkers to collect the papers off the delivery man and no-one else could take them other than Frankie
I also delivered coal on a Saturday for Baglins coal yard (in those rickety old barrows )
My father was was a keen angler and would go fishing with the Baglins and others who used the crown pub in Clifton road
his name was Ted Mason and lived in Clifton road all of his life untill he and my mother Annie like so many other people had to move for the the new motorway
I had a brother named Edwin who like me went to upper thomas street school and a sister named Valarie who went to Vicarage road girls school
I wonder if any one remembers me or any of my family if so it would be nice to hear off you

Frank Mason
welcome to the forum frank lovely to hear your memories....hope someone on here may remember your family...

lyn

Hi Paul
I remember you well! I’m Jennifer (Jenny) Tattam (now Brett) from 1/147. I spoke to the Birch’s grandson on here (Wingmaster) a few years ago and his Uncles, Harry and Eric were still alive at that time.
I’m still in touch with all three of the Beddoes girls.
Don’t know if you do Facebook but there’s a group on there ‘Aston Birmingham 6’ which is brilliant. I’ve recently been speaking to Gwenda Bunston (Kirby) on there. John Overthrow also on there and pictures of Clifton Rd including a glimpse of Barkers shop in the background of one of them. I’ve even found two long lost cousins on there. Some lovely memories on there so if you don’t do FB you could get someone else to join and show you!
I remember all your family and getting coal from Baglins. We left to go to Alum Rock in 1959. My brother David lives at Great Barr (I seem to remember you didn’t always get on!)
Great to talk to you and nice to remember the good old days
PS Just remembered I had these photos. The couple on bikes are the Vales (lived on the other side of the road) but attached it because you can see Barkers shop in the background and the ‘entry’ to the ‘bombdy’. I hope this works because I’ve never sent attachments on this site before!
Hi

Frank Mason
D44FACE8-784F-460B-9139-40A2DE339FA8.jpeg1308AEF2-0626-4675-B61D-9481D9AA6069.jpegD44FACE8-784F-460B-9139-40A2DE339FA8.jpeg

Just wondering if this still exists. My grandmother lived at number 36. I have tried googling it but it looks like those houses might have been pulled down

There is a thread here
Photos from early posts may no longer be available.

Back