• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Childhood friends of my Nan

WelshBrummie03

knowlegable brummie
Hey all, my Nan lived in the Nechells area of Birmingham. She remembers names of friends and people that she remembers from her from childhood (1934-1945). I was just wondering if anybody knows what happened to her friends etc.

Friends names (may not be spelt correct)

1. Josie Chiswell
2. Marianne Hogkins (Believed to have died)
3. Barbara Holloway
4. Beryl Timbull (Father was Head Air aid warden)
5. Pat Smith (Godwin Street)
6. Nelly Harvard

Adding to list:

7. Sister's Margaret (Born before 1932) and Dorothy (Dottie, Born after 1932) Jeffries from Willis Street
8. Kenneth Talbot (Wilis Street)
9. Kenneth Taylor (Willis Street) friends with Kenneth Talbot and lived next door to him
10. Doris Neal
11. Freddy Weldon
12. Alice Wilson
Former boyfriends (around 1949-1956)

1. Leslie Hill (I would assume lived in Birmingham)

2. Albert Humphrey (originally from Luton) he had a brother called Brian Humphrey (I believe he was living in Dunstable but again could be wrong on that)

Thanks

Last edited:
Hey all, my Nan lived in the Nechells area of Birmingham. She remembers names of friends and people that she remembers from her from childhood (1936-1945). I was just wondering if anybody knows what happened to her friends etc.

Names (may not be spelt correct)
1. Josie Chiswell
2. Marianne Hogkins
3. Barbara Hollowell
4. Beryl Timbull (apparently Head Air aid warden)
5. Pat Smith
6. Nelly Harvard

Thanks
Also my Nan was evacuated with Alice Wilson, who my Nan was friends with for years later. She later married Donald Green!

Josie Chiswell possibly Josephine E Chiswell b1932, lived at 193 Heneage St. Married James Durrant in 1957, still alive in 2021.

If that's correct I assume they're all of a similar age?

Josie Chiswell possibly Josephine E Chiswell b1932, lived at 193 Heneage St. Married James Durrant in 1957, still alive in 2021.

It’s a big possibility, since my Nan is born same year! I think this would have been when my Nan lived in great lister street but I’ll have to ask her where she lived. To see if it was close to that street.

Beryl possibly Beryl Kathleen Timbrell b1932, lived at 12 Alleyne Grove. Married Kenneth A Clarke in 1961, sadly she appears to have died quite young in 1975.

There is another Beryl Timbrell though, slightly older b1929.

Other 4 not as easy. Barbara could be Barbara Holloway but there are at least 3 she could be, Pat Smith I assume is Patricia but there are lots and I can't see anything possible for the other 2 atm.

But Alice appears to be Alice Beatrice Wilson b1932, lived at 9/106 Great Lister St. Married Donald Green in 1951 but sadly seems to have died in 2018,

The parents of one of the Barbara Holloways are listed at 187 Scholefield St, which is the nearest house on the street to Great Lister St. She was born 1931 and possibly married Alfred J Hayling. If so she stayed local listed on Nechells Park Road 2002 onwards but possibly died in 2016.

The parents of one of the Barbara Holloways are listed at 187 Scholefield St, which is the nearest house on the street to Great Lister St. She was born 1931 and possibly married Alfred J Hayling. If so she stayed local listed on Nechells Park Road 2002 onwards but possibly died in 2016.
Thanks so much for all the details, So helpful!

My nan just said Josie lived on this street. So this would be correct, I would assume :D

I have some names of her former boyfriends. Of course would probably be around 1949-1956

Leslie Hill (I would assume lived in Birmingham)

Albert Humphrey (originally from Luton) he had a brother called Brian Humphrey (I believe he was living in Dunstable but again could be wrong on that)

Some more names:

Sister's Margaret (Born before 1932) and Dorothy (Dottie, Born after 1932) Jeffries from Willis Street

Kenneth Talbot (Wilis Street) friends with and lived next door to Kenneth Taylor (Willis Street)

I'll add to the top of post

Beryl possibly Beryl Kathleen Timbrell b1932, lived at 12 Alleyne Grove. Married Kenneth A Clarke in 1961, sadly she appears to have died quite young in 1975.

There is another Beryl Timbrell though, slightly older
Just to add more detail should have said Beryl's Father was an Head Air aid warden.

I had no luck with her boyfriends.

I think Margaret and Doris are listed at 1/121 Francis St in 1939. Margaret appears to have married a Leslie Crathorne but died quite young in 1982. Dorothy possibly married a Roy Wood. They appear to have a number of younger siblings.

There is a Kenneth E Talbot b1932 listed at 1/210 Great Lister St in 1939. It appears he sadly died in 1944.

There is Kenneth A Taylor b1932, he appears to have lived at 1/20 Lupin St. Even if it is him Taylor's a bit too common to be sure of much after.

I had no luck with her boyfriends.

I think Margaret and Doris are listed at 1/121 Francis St in 1939. Margaret appears to have married a Leslie Crathorne but died quite young in 1982. Dorothy possibly married a Roy Wood. They appear to have a number of younger siblings.

There is a Kenneth E Talbot b1932 listed at 1/210 Great Lister St in 1939. It appears he sadly died in 1944.

There is Kenneth A Taylor b1932, he appears to have lived at 1/20 Lupin St. Even if it is him Taylor's a bit too common to be sure of much after.
Thanks

Back