• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Castle Bromwich Hall

Frothblower

Lubrication In Moderation
Castle Bromwich Hall and church.

Attachments

• castle bromwich hall church.jpg
    castle bromwich hall church.jpg
    96.5 KB · Views: 25
  • castle bromwich hall.jpg
    castle bromwich hall.jpg
    180.4 KB · Views: 26
Lindev there is a club just up from it and my son lives just round the corner in Marlborough road but it does come under Castle Bromwich. Have been to many a car boot sale there have to try one sometime. Lovely photo's Frothy. Last year they were asking for volounteers to help with various tasks. Bye. Jean.

hi Jean i used to keep the rememberance club many years ago, (ho happy times,) and i just seem to remember this building, but could be wrong

Lindev Dave will ask my son and daugher in law your queeries in the morning. Pete and Annette are members of the club but not sure what it is called. The only time we went there was smoking in the family room and we came out with our eyes smarting:cry: and didn't go again. Jean.

Hi there ,its like visiting the scene of the crime Castle Bromwich church,
Enid and I were married there on August 28th 1954, Im not sure what 55
years marrage is called, I think its emerald, didnt we almost make it that
time.We almost made it to the Moon didnt we girl, God Bless Bunnyxxx

Bernard I remember you posting your lovely photo not long ago. I think it is on the family wedding thread. Bye. Jean.

It's great to see those pictures of the hall again, It must be over 50 years since I last saw the old place. Needsless to say it I recognised it without any problems. Tomo

Was it once owned by Lady Bradford ??
ragga :confused2:

Hi Ragga,

I would guess it was owned by the 'reigning' Lord Bradford, as it
was a dowager house, where widowed Lady Bradfords would be
shunted off to allow the next generation Lord Bradford to take
over the main residence.

Kind regards

Dave

hi jean thank you for clearing that mystery up, i thought i remembered it, my girls were only tiny when i lived at rememberance club and we used to walk past there nearly every day for our daily walks,

Dave my daughter in law Annete has just mailed me and local hearsay is that the hall [owners of] were approached and it was required as a local Mosque. No one appears to know what is actually going on at this point in time. Jean.

I believe this hall was used to house GEC apprentices who came from out of town in the fifties and also for American Forces billeting in the second world war. The value of this place far exceeds the price. I hope that it will not burn down and. That being said maybe far more than a paltry million pounds will be required but what is more important is insight and imagination, to save the history and produce something of value. Is there any one out there up to this task in the second Elizebethan reign.

when i was 14 my first real love was all blessed behind lady bradfords in the church yard.
umm nice memories.
colin

Castle Bromwich hall was referred to as "Lady Bradfords" by the locals as far back as 1960's.. I know that the outbuidings (stables, dairies etc) were let out to various company's as offices in the early to mid 1980's , I still know it as Lady Bradfords .. there is a pub just a few hundred yards away called the "Bradford Arms" .. I wonder if that had any connection -but I have found that local history of Castle Bromwich is quite limited. Shame really because there are some very old buildings etc in the area of Castle Bromwich Hall , Water Orton and surrounding area.

Hi Dianne

The history of Castle Bromwich certainly is not limited - you just need to know where to look! Have a peek at my website, A History of Birmingham Places & Placenames . . . from A to Y - https://billdargue.jimdo.com/ - the Castle Bromwich page - https://billdargue.jimdo.com/placenames-gazetteer-a-to-y/places-c/castle-bromwich/ .
There are some great pictures (of mine) with information on flikr - https://www.flickr.com/search/?w=all&q=%22william+dargue%22&m=text
Or try a search on British History Online - https://www.british-history.ac.uk/search.aspx?query1="castle+Bromwich"+

Regards, Bill Dargue

Back