• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Castle Bromwich Hall

i am looking for edwin (eddie)furness he used to live in woodfield road ..springfield terrace in the 60s.he had a brother called peter and a sister called susan .his dad was also called edwin..i think his mom was called kim ..eddie would be around 65 yrs old now .his old mates included .chris keen. david gill.paul davidson .eddie worked at witherford way garage northfield chris worked at smithfield garage digbeth .another mate was mickey dowling he lived down ladypool road .id love to catch up with you all after all these years......sandra coley was leake i lived in conybere street...

i am looking for edwin (eddie)furness he used to live in woodfield road ..springfield terrace in the 60s.he had a brother called peter and a sister called susan .his dad was also called edwin..i think his mom was called kim ..eddie would be around 65 yrs old now .his old mates included .chris keen. david gill.paul davidson .eddie worked at witherford way garage northfield chris worked at smithfield garage digbeth .another mate was mickey dowling he lived down ladypool road .id love to catch up with you all after all these years......sandra coley was leake i lived in conybere street...

Hi SandraColey

Check your pm's ;)

Dianne wrote "but I have found that local history of Castle Bromwich is quite limited".

You need to get hold of my 'Castle Bromwich in the Reign of George III' for a snapshot at one period of time. Published 1970s by the Chelmsley Local History Society.

Hi icarus ..many thanks for your info .im onto it today ,seems like your spot on ....ill let you know what happens .lets hope they havent moved on again..thanks again. Sandra

hi icarus .i found edwin furness,s daughter at the address you sent me sadly he died 2 yrs ago if only id known about this site before .i could have seen him before he died..but its great catching up with things after i lost touch with him ...many many thanks your a star...

Hi Sandra

I suppose we have all left things too late at times, especially in the family history field and old friends contact. Glad I was able to help in some way.

hi icarus ..ive sent an answer to your post but god knows where its gone .i have been in touch with edwins daughter.she told me hed kept my hair (i had my long ponytail cut off while i was going out with him.) until the day he died ..he had a troublesome marriage and told his daughter (after his wife died ) that hed have like for us to be a couple again.but even so i was married by then ..iam waiting for photos from his daughter ...he was my first real boyfriend and i adored him but ...sadly it wasnt to be .and too late now ....all this is down to you and i thank you from the bottom of my heart......what does icarus mean ???

hi icarus me again .want another challenge ?????
ive been searching for a marie rafferty....married to dennis .3 kids ...karen ,peter and steven ...used to live in woodgate valley ...bham moved to alwold road .weoley castle .bham .i lost the trail there and have come up against a brick wall since .but.as i said im not too brilliant on p.c. as yet....be great if you could find her ......

A very lucky person or is it a company? Please let us know Glynis.....thanks Wendy.

Actually, Castle Bromwich Hall Gardens Trust have lots of historic photos and drawings of the hall and gardens over the years. The entrance fee is only £4.00 and £3.50 concessions and is well worth a visit. Its open most days 1.30 pm to 5.30 pm and you can have a free guided tour and hear about the history of the house, gardens and the families that lived or visited.
gardens.jpg
A view of the Gardens

orangery[1].jpg
The orangery

my ladies border.jpg
'My Ladies Border' Dedicated to the Lady Bridgemans' over the years.

I believe (don't quote me) that the Hall has been bought by a Chinese gentleman who has agreed to allow the continued care for and visitor access to, the gardens directly connected to the hall.
Go and have a look, you will be amazed that this stunning walled garden is such a well - kept secret!!

Thanks for the info and photo's Glynis. I went several years ago and as you say well worth a visit. Maybe one for a meet up in the future. Polly posted a note earlier on this thread, as it's free on Heritage open weekend.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the info and photo's Glynis. I went several years ago and as you say well worth a visit. Maybe one for a meet up in the future. Polly posted a note earlier on this thread, as it's free on Heritage open weekend.
When they announce the details for 2010 free Heritage open weekend properties I will check to see if it is on there again. It looks lovely.
Polly

Think they are only opening for one day free this year. It will be on the National website (English Heritage) but there won't be a Birmingham leaflet / booklet this year as the coordinator has moved on. I might offer to do the leaflet coordination next year if they still want someone for it, I couldn't this year, got too much on!!

Drove past the place today. Are they still asking for people to help out in their spare time Glynis?. Jean.

YES!!! They are always desperate for more volunteers. Contact Sue on 749 4100 or drop in and pick up an application form. They especially need people who can work at weekends. They run a guide training programme to become a garden guide and need people to help in the gardens, the kiosk / shop and the tea room.

Would think about it but it is a long way from where we live and the only reason we go over that way is to visit family. Never mind. Jean.

Something I found out many Moons ago was that the Post Office which is now a Beauty Shop was the first place in Birmingham to have a Telephone, as the Prime Minister at the time used to visit Lady Bradford quite alot, I have an inkling it was Gladstone, My Grand Parents Lived at 14 The Green for quite a few years, it was owned by the Bradfords and my Sister went to the School till it closed down.

Castle Bromwich Hall was owned at one time by the Earl of Bradford. For a number of years GEC rented the beautiful Hall and, in exchange, covered the costs of the general upkeep of the building and the surrounding gardens. GEC then equipped the Hall to house Engineering students who were apprentices at the plant in Witton whilst they attended Gosta Green and Birmingham University. I was most fortunate to be one of those lucky individuals spending almost 5 yrs at the Hall. One memory that will always remain in my mind was being able to relax in the evening in the Tapestry draped lounge that overlooked the Rose Gardens at the rear of the Hall.

Dave thats really interesting! The manager at the Gardens is hoping to put together some memories of the Hall and Gardens at some point in the future, could I copy this and send it to him please?
Glynis

Castle Bromwich Hall was owned at one time by the Earl of Bradford. For a number of years GEC rented the beautiful Hall and, in exchange, covered the costs of the general upkeep of the building and the surrounding gardens. GEC then equipped the Hall to house Engineering students who were apprentices at the plant in Witton whilst they attended Gosta Green and Birmingham University. I was most fortunate to be one of those lucky individuals spending almost 5 yrs at the Hall. One memory that will always remain in my mind was being able to relax in the evening in the Tapestry draped lounge that overlooked the Rose Gardens at the rear of the Hall.
What wonderful memories Dave. I can only imagine your relaxing evenings how absolutely wonderful. As Glynis says these memories should be saved in an archive.......brilliant!

Back