• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Castle Bromwich Hall

While in this area on Saturday Castle Bromwich,

took this pic looking towards West Bromwich, if on the M5 you can see the hill with the Mast ontop a lot closer :)

Came past today and there was a car boot somewhere close. Not sure if it was at the Hall but people were coming from that direction. Jean.

In the 1960s and 1970s the hall was in a bad state and in need of repair.

But my husband and friends used to play in there as kids, climbing over the wall

He found the house creepy and although boarded up, they went in and round the grounds. One of his friends was bit by one of the guard dogs patrolling the grounds needing stitches.

Queen Victoria was supposed to have stayed there and planted the large oak tree nearby

Some how they knew that a witch had been drowned in the pond and of course had a great time scaring themselves silly with ghost stories

As far as I know queen Victoria never visited the Hall, queen Mary however, was a regular visitor spending long holidays there, in fact, the nearby post office was the first to get a telephone exchange and the Hall the first telephone in the area because of this.

Castle Bromwich Hall Gardens this Sunday - Christmas event, 12 til 4 pm, games, crafts and those last minute christmas presents!!!

Exciting news!!!!! Castle Bromwich Hall is going to be open for a tour on Saturday the 18th December, it costs £10 and there will be a buffet afterwards, details on the Castle Bromwich Hall Gardens Trust website - https://www.cbhgt.org.uk/

Sounds good Glynis. Will let the family from Marlborough road know as they don't go past the hall much. What do light refreshments include please?. Jean.

Did you not see that film "The Bucket List", Jack Nicholson!, everyone of a certain age is supposed to make a list of
of things they want to do before they "kick the Bucket" I just hope Nigalla is free sometime to give me a few tips, on
cooking of course, Bernard

No Bernard I never watched many movie's and hope you get your wish. We went to a jumble sale at the hall a few years ago and the heavens opened and it did spoil it. Jean.

After the house tour on the 18th, Castle Bromwich Hall Gardens will be closed for the winter, they re-open in March.

Exciting news!!!!! Castle Bromwich Hall is going to be open for a tour on Saturday the 18th December, it costs £10 and there will be a buffet afterwards, details on the Castle Bromwich Hall Gardens Trust website - https://www.cbhgt.org.uk/

glynis did I speak to you in the car park on leaving ?.

Managed to get there, will start outside moving inside

1st room, which was called by Lady Ida a beautiful little sittng room, this and most of the main ceilings in the hall was carried out by the eminent plasterer Edward Gouge, this room is sometimes referred to as `Boudoir` :)

Next room :) The ground floor Dining room, the door with Pipes at the base is a false door, to make the room more symmetrical, one plaster is the coat of Arms of Sir John Bridgeman incorporating Cradock, the other, John Bridgeman incorporating Kynaston & Cradock, also one view from the room onto the lawn and beyond the gardens.

Lovely photo's Dave this is now on my list of must visit. I will have to keep my eyes open when it's open again.

:)

Next into the Staircase Hall, the stairs Carved Oak, the staircase walls were originally hung with various portraits by artists `of no great renown` said Lady Ida.

Back